Fabric paints....found some. but how much do I need?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,783, Level 94
Points: 23,783, Level: 94 Points: 23,783, Level: 94 Points: 23,783, Level: 94
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Question Fabric paints....found some. but how much do I need??

for the time being, I'm gonna be working on the interior of my car.... that ugly gray just bugs the crap out of me and shouts "economy!"

it goes as follows:

I already know how to do the vinyl/plastic parts,

-silver gauge cluster (the part with all the little holes, look at the cluster of an ST to see exactly what I mean)

-silver radio surround, and also the stock radio bezel, and that little piece where the lights switch is.

-silver vent rings, and also the triangular (defrosters?) on the sides of the dash

-silver shifter surround on the console (just that part)

and I belive that's it (though I don't know for sure)

now for the rest, cause silver and gray make me

black dash and pillars, though that half part of the pillar that's lighter and goes up to the headliner will remain the same color, as will the headliner.

I found that "Simply Spray" stuff that is non-dye stuff for upholstery, that is permanent and when dried & vacuumed is soft like normal fabric

question is..... each 8oz. can (aerosol spray) is supposed to cover 17 sq.ft. now I have NO idea how much that is, and I really don't want to think about it...

these cans are $11 each, so not so cheap, but I want to do it.....

black seats, (lighter down the middle, so held from farther away and less layers) black carpet, and also that carpeting in the back by the window.

I was thinking maybe 3-4 cans, but maybe I'm WAY off? (goes on fairly dark from the video, so maybe only 1-2 layers )

oh, 2002 sedan....

and any help greatly appreciated

SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

Points 6,441, Level 52
Points: 6,441, Level: 52 Points: 6,441, Level: 52 Points: 6,441, Level: 52
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
A ton dude.

When I did mine, I kept going back to different auto stores and buying them out.

I would say roughly 10 or so cans for the headliner, A, B,C pillars, lower half of my dash and floor mats. And about 5 or so cans for the seats.

Especially with light gray, it'll probably take more since you don't have any kind of base coat. Mine was dark gray so it may have taken less than if it were light gray. Plus you have to let it soak in.

Don't be fooled by how much it says it covers. It takes several coats to get it the color you want.

On another note, if you have cats and OCD's like me, the seats are going to drive you nuts. So nuts in fact that you'll end up buying racing seats and deleting your back seat to get rid of the annoying build up of lint and hair your seats are about to accumulate. It makes them stiff as hell, even after brushing them with a fabric brush (found at auto stores also in the cleaning section). And where you get in and out of your seat, it'll wear off real quick.

Additionally, be careful painting any contact points like where the dash meet the doors. It'll wear off. And also be prepared to touch up the paint quite often. The paint contains an adhering agent but still, paint comes off. Like on the lower section of my dash, it gets scratches from my coffee mug hitting up against it.

Be careful not to build the paint up more than you have to. When it comes time to ever remove anything, like the stereo bezel, it'll chip real easy and that's no fun to fill in and repaint, building the paint up even more. I bought almost entirely everything that I've painted so that I can start all over again. This time I'm taking it to teh shop and having my friend paint it professionally with a high flex agent like on front bumpers.

Not trying to discourage you, but inform you for whats to come. I just wrote all this on a whim so let me know if you have any questions at all. Plus I'm at work so I can't read into that much....lol. It is a fun project and I do have to say I love having an all black interior. (keep a microfiber towel in your glove box to clean it regularly).
Old 02-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Sticker Whore

Fan#: 32439
What I Drive: 2005 black zx3 ses

Points 17,084, Level 83
Points: 17,084, Level: 83 Points: 17,084, Level: 83 Points: 17,084, Level: 83
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 44 zx360 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (33)
i used 1/2 a can on my visors...

instagram @360DSGNS
Old 02-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Aurelius Pardus

Points 23,783, Level 94
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
damn lol.... that's ok then, thanks Mr.Bergner.

hmm, so I'm only painting the pillars and the dash, door panels and console with that widely available paint.... so at least it'll be cheaper

but so for the carpet and seats, probably like what, maybe 8-10 cans then?

ah here's the link to that stuff....http://www.simplyspray.com/upholstery.html

oh get this, you're supposed to rub it in as well
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 03-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Fan#: 58297
What I Drive: Car

Points 6,484, Level 52
Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Kauai Guy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
SEM Colorcoat is the shit. Look for that, they have a wide range of colors and doesnt flake, fade, or peel.
Sedan Revolution #150 Hatch Nation #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Because I'm on a boat and I just had sex
Old 03-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29946
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Grey ZX5 w/S2 kit

FF Reputation: 3 02ZX5cominalive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
When I had my black MOMO seats in the front of my Focus I used VHT fabric dye to make my daughters Grayco car seat match. Let me warn you about paint transfer. We went on a long road trip, about 4 hrs. By the time we got to our destination her legs were dyed black. Let me tell you that this stuff transfered to skin better than it stayed on the fabric. Be forwarned not to wear white or light colours in you car again if using an aerosol fabric dye.

Here is what I did.

Totally parted and scrapped.

Last edited by 02ZX5cominalive; 03-01-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 03-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Yeah that job is problematic.....the last time I did it on some worn carpets, it constantly came off on my shoes, and anything else that rubbed on it. I don't remember the brand of the dye, but I followed directions, brushed it after it dried, etc. It always felt stiff also.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
WAFFLEY!

Fan#: 10426
What I Drive: 2006 Fusion SE Midnight Blue

FF Reputation: 11 Waffles ZX3 Kona Sport Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Why not find a wrecked sedan at your local junkyard and buy stock parts there? It would look much cleaner IMO.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Aurelius Pardus

Points 23,783, Level 94
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
^^ true, it would...... but someone won't let me buy anything...

that simply spray says it's not a dye though....but I dunno.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.