ZX3 Drivers Seat Question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 56907
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Datsun280 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ZX3 Drivers Seat Question

I feel like this is an odd question because I searched and didnt find any info on this at all;

Has anyone here ever taken apart a Focus seat before?

Also, is it possible to swap the seat backs from the passenger and drivers side seats?

Lastly, would a body shop straighten a seat out?

The reason I ask is because my seat back frame is pretty bent (I got rear ended a while back, insurance fixed everything but that seat) and im not having any luck straightening it with the seat still assembled. Ive tried to find a replacement seat at local salvage yards but I have the black interior which I guess is not nearly as common as the grey interior.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

Points 6,413, Level 52
Points: 6,413, Level: 52 Points: 6,413, Level: 52 Points: 6,413, Level: 52
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Um....huh. Well, the seats come out really easy. 4 bolts, I believe a 45 or 50 torx bit.

You very well may be able to remove the rails from the seats and swap them. The rails are very specific to drivers and passenger side. But when I had mine out, I unbolted the bottom of the seat fairly easily but that was as far as I went. I'm taking them out again this weekend so if you need pics let me know.

As far as straightening them out, what do you mean exactly? Like the back sits crooked, or it's off to one side? I'm confused on that one.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Sticker Whore

Fan#: 32439
What I Drive: 2005 black zx3 ses

Points 17,019, Level 83
Points: 17,019, Level: 83 Points: 17,019, Level: 83 Points: 17,019, Level: 83
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 44 zx360 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (33)
do you have any pictures of the bend? not sure if your going to be able to straighten it out. Taking the seat out, as bergner said is basically a 45 torx (pretty sure its 45) after that, maybe contact b16sir1991 (mike) and see about getting a new seat back? if you can get the back from the bottom. wish i could see what the bend is maybe we can offer more advice
Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8267
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 ATX, 191,000 miles so far

FF Reputation: 1 niko Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi,

I'm fixing my seat right now actually, and I've taken it apart. Once you get the upholstery off it's pretty easy. I had to take it apart because my seat back is broken. I need to weld it back together. It's just from normal wear and tear. Guess I may be too strong for a Foci lol.

You cant' swap the backs from the passenger side because their bolt holes are on the wrong side.

Ok here is what I did. I didn't take pics right now though. But I plan on taking pics when I go to weld this puppy sometime this week.

To take off the seat back upholstery:

First, there is a long black plastic "U" clip on the bottom of the seat holding the seat cover on. You can unclip this with a screwdriver (flat), get it started at one end, and then try to slide your fingers down while pushing inward, to help seperate the entire clip. Don't pry too much with the screwdriver, you don't want to break it.

That seat clip was on the bottom of the back part of the seat (the part that supports your back), there is also extra fabric handing out the back of the seat down there. You will have to take all that extra fabric and push it up thru the crack in the seat, so it's in front. (PUsh it up through the crack that is between the bottom of the seat and the top of the seat). There is foam and fabric here so it's a little thick. You'll see what I mean if you get into it.

Now you have to take off the seat flipper lever, you know that little lever that lets you flip the seat forward? Actually maybe they only have those in the hatchback.

Now you should be able to start pulling the upholstery up over the seat. There is a thick foam pad under it that gives the seat its shape. Don't worry about smushing it while trying to get the cloth to come upwards. You will also notice a plastic piece (white) with some holes in it , that covers some of the seat bolts on the outside left of the drivers seat. It will just fall out, you can put it back in later.

One thing also was my fabric was wrapped around the foam peice some on the front. It's just wrapped around and then plastic tied together. Just break the plastic tie. and now the fabric will be free of the foam.

You will notice that the sides of the front of the seat cover are held down with vertical velcro strips. This is nice, just pull the velcro as you keep rolling the upholstery upwards to get it off the seat.

When you get near the top, there is a horizontal "bar", actually looks like it's made of rolled up paper (or a wire with paper over it) that helps hold the top of the seat upholstery tight. Pull that "bar" out. There are metal rings which are clamped around that bar, and they go through the fabric. The fabric basically has a "tunnel" that the bar went through. Don't bother expanding the metal rings, just cut aways the "tunnel" around the rings. After all, when you put it back together, you will reinsert the "bar", and this will hold on the rings. There is no need for the rings to penetrate the fabric at all, so just cut out the fabric they are attached to. This will loosen the fabric on the front completely now.

For the back, there is another one of those plastic "U" clips at the back top. You have to reach in and upward (sort of curl your hand backwards) and push forward (towards the front of the seat) while pulling downward on the clip. If you can get one side loose, you can then start to work it all the way across. It does take a bit of time. This connector was the hardest one.

One you get that connector, then make sure you take out the headrest and set aside.

Now you can pull the fabric all the way off, just roll it up and over, and then stretch the holes that are there for the headrest posts, over the posts to remove it.

Congrats now you only have the foam left. For the foam, it's sort of wrapped on the frame, so just pull the sides outward and forward to get it off, and then pull the whole thing upward. You will also have to stretch it over the headrest posts to get it completely off.

Once you got that, now you have access to the bare metal frame of the back of the seat.

Now, you can remove this whole back frame by just removing two T40 torx bolts on the left hand side. Once you do that the only thing holding the seat in is the tube pivot hole on the right hand bottom of the seat.

The hard part about this tube now is they flared it out a bit so you will have to use channelocks to try and crush the end of the tube somewhat until you can pull it out of the hole.

Once you get that, you can then remove the entire back frame of the seat for repair, and you don't even have to remove the seat itself. It's easy to put back together too, just slide the tube back into the hole, reattach the two T40 torx bolts, and then put the foam back on, and the stretch the fabric back over and down (putting back in the "bar" near the top front) and then reattach the U clips.

I plan on trying to take some pics tonight.

I have a few pics of what happened before: here:

Broken, sagging drivers seat - right side. +pics

but now I'm going to try welding it.

-niko

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.