tint talk - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2003, 12:01 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 326
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ti Hatch +Handling

Points 17,788, Level 84
Points: 17,788, Level: 84 Points: 17,788, Level: 84 Points: 17,788, Level: 84
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 mikesusz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
tint talk

is tint an interior mod? well, it goes on the INSIDE of the windows, anyway-

i'm looking to get my focus tinted, and i've been doing a bit of research about how to deal with problems not unique to the focus - namely the 'dot matrix' and after searching for a while (a good discussion board BY and FOR tinters can be found here - tintdude.com ) i've come up with a few tips, if anyone has more to contribute, please do. share your tips & experiences, or recommend someone who does good work. here's mine:

1. some say the best way is to paint the dot-matrix area with flat black spray paint. tinters hate to do this because it takes a lot of time and is a pain in the butt, and you have to get the edge perfect where the tint meets the paint.

2. the second best way, as described by the 'new guys' to tinting, is to fill the area of the dot matrix with glue, namely stationery glue called "O'Glue," or gluestick, or elmer's gel glue, or some stuff called "PRO-BOND" which is designed to stick on vinyl graphics. the old-school tinters express concern that this solution will not last, but i say with a lifetime warranty, who cares? (to me, the 'PRO-BOND' stuff sounds like a good deal because it's something they work with anyway and it's not quite so hack-ey)

3. when you call tinters at random, and ask them how they deal with the dot matrix, they're likely to say "you deal with having a white line around your windows, there's not much we can do" (this happened to me 3 times in a row) until you express that you're willing to pay a bit more to have the job done right, and if they don't want to do it right, you'll find someone else who does. that usually changes their tune.

4. a lot of people seem to think that a real alternative is to grind/scrape/scrub/polish the dot matrix off with various sandpaper/steel wool/etc. this sounds horrific to me, and i wouldn't recommend it. there were plenty of horror stories about scuffed windows, discoloration, rust stains, etc.

5. you might ask how they deal with the weatherstripping on roll-down windows. some of the guys on that board expressed... disdain, claiming that instead of taking the whole interior door panels apart or just pry the heck out of the weatherstripping... not good. filling your doors with rainwater is not a good option if you don't want them to rust out at the bottom in a few years.

6. on a different note - the quickest way to make your tint turn purple is to use window cleaner that contains ammonia. Eagle One makes a product called "20/20 Perfect Vision (tm) Auto Glass Cleaner" that contains no ammonia, and i've had good results with it on tinted cars in the past.

that's it. i'm still looking for someone in seattle who confidently claims they can deal with the dot matrix and guarantee their work. when i find one, i'll let you know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2003, 08:25 AM   #2
Zex
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 282
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Zex Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had my work done by a place called Gjerdes in the Minneapolis area. I told them to run the tint right over the matrix area. So far no major problems. there are a couple areas where it does not like to stick, but you can hardly see it so i will live with it. I may try a little clear nail polish in the bad areas.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:47 AM   #3
pio
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 198
What I Drive: 2014 focus electric

FF Reputation: 2 pio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
never mind

Last edited by pio; 09-04-2003 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:06 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
there isnt much u can do about it, i wouldnt let them put glue on ur windows. sometimes when we tint cars and get complaints about it we add a black vinyl trim to the window. looks ok that way :)
Old 09-04-2003, 04:56 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 339
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 guerro Good Standing Member
When I took my car in to get the windows tinted I didnt even think about the little dots on the winshield and rear side glass. But the tint shop tinted right over it and it looks really good. No bubbles or anything.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:16 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 415
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 jpickles Good Standing Member
When I got my windows tinted,the guy said that it would bubble a bit for a while on the dot matrix and then stick properly and he was right, no problems so far.

There is nothing we can do, the hippies have us surrounded, and they look like they have the munchies!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:52 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 269
What I Drive: 2008 Sport trac xlt 4x4

FF Reputation: 1 xero2099 Good Standing Member
i hope to get my windows titnted soon but right now funds r low
Old 09-04-2003, 07:47 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 437
What I Drive: 2003 Focus zts

FF Reputation: 1 Fabster82 Good Standing Member
i will be getting my windows tinted hopefully sometime next week. hopefully everything works out ok.

Mods: clear corners, interior under seat neons, MAC short ram, a bosal exhaust or fs exhaust to come
Old 09-04-2003, 08:10 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 52
What I Drive: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE

FF Reputation: 1 Solaris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i got my friend's mom who is an eye doctor to sign a paper that says i have Photophobia so now i can get like 0% tint and police can't do shit

Now driving a 1985 Light Blue Volvo 740 GLE with 95,000 miles on it
Old 09-05-2003, 12:19 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 339
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 guerro Good Standing Member
Umm, do you have Photophobia ? Are you afraid of light ? And, yes, they can do shit. They can find out your friend's mom forged a prescription and you and her can both be toast.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.