How To: Gas Petal Mod.. Spirated Drivers READ THIS!!!!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10690
What I Drive: 2004 Cd Silver 2.3l zx3

FF Reputation: 1 cdpzevzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation How To: Gas Pedal Mod.. Spirated Drivers READ THIS!!!!!!

As you all probably know the focus lacks a little respect in the gas pedal region. for some reason ford designed a mount for the throttle cable about one half inch to far, which results in a gas pedal that does not even line up with the brake. Essentially this mod raises the gas pedal flush with the brake, but in doing this increases throttle response. I could not believe the difference when i drove it. I have driven on many auto-x's and alot of hard driving. I always felt that something was missing felt very sloppy in the pedal region. Clutch will fix the clutch pedal. Brembo brakes tighten brake pedal. If you have this issue here is the mod for you....

Time:15-20 mins

Skill Level: Beginner

Cost: $0.88-$2.00

Supplies:

1. One Half inch piece of 3/8 inch plumbing or gas rubber hose. Yellow in picture

(This can be found at Local Hardware stores in the plumbing section. I got mine at lowes they only sell it by like 15 feet intervals so i asked the guy and he cut me off a piece. be nice and they should help )

2. One 3/8 inch hose clamp. Red in picture

(These can be found in the same section. usually like 88 cents for a pack of two. If you buy an inch of tube you get an extra clamp so you can help a fellow focusfanatic at the next meet) .

Tools:

1. Scissors
2. Screwdriver
3. Ruler

Instructions:

1. Start by taking your hose and measuring to make sure you have one half inch no more no less. Take the scissors and stick one blade in the hole of the hose and cut it straight down long ways. so you can fit a cable in it.

2: Start by finding a good way to sit on the ground so you can fit your head under the steering wheel you need to see up under the gas pedal ( i have drawn a blue arrow at it in the above picture) Look there and you will see the spring that gives tension to your gas pedal. if you grab the spring looking thing and pull you will see the pedal go up and there will be cable between the plastic mount and the spring. This is where you slide the rubber hose on through the hole you cut in it. (as you can see it is already on in the picture there is an orange arrow pointing at it.)

3. After you have the hose creating a space between the throttle spring and the mount then you get out your hose clamp. The hose clamp will ensure that the rubber piece will not fall out as it will be getting pressure when you hit the gas. Basically slide it so its covering the rubber hose and not over any of the spring. follow by tightening the clamp until it is at a good tightness not to much but snug.

4. Enjoy a much more responsive throttle pedal

Comments: READ!!

The only thing i can not stress enough about this mod is when you do this don't get in the car and floor the pedal. This mod does add more pressure on the accelerator cable and could break if you hit the gas to hard. Feel it out and be gentle until you get a feel for how hard you can go down to hit wot.
Im not responsible for any damage that you may cause to your car by doing this mod

With that being said Enjoy fellow Fanatics

Team Duratec #813

Last edited by scrammer; 04-02-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: PEDALS
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
I Speed Often.

Fan#: 18440
What I Drive: Audi S4, Turbo ZX3

Points 24,266, Level 94
Points: 24,266, Level: 94 Points: 24,266, Level: 94 Points: 24,266, Level: 94
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 23 starfuryt550 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (59)
Nice write-up...I guess I won't bother taking pics of this mod that I just did since you did a great job yourself!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26844
What I Drive: 2004 Mustang GT 5 Spd

Points 2,589, Level 30
Points: 2,589, Level: 30 Points: 2,589, Level: 30 Points: 2,589, Level: 30
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 slikirish Good Standing Member
thank you thank you thank you. I completely understand what ppl are talking about now. Will be doin this on mon or tuesday
Zetec Crew #4

Back on Stock wheels after bending 3 18's in 2 months. Stupid Winter Roads.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49788
What I Drive: a car and a suv

Points 2,564, Level 30
Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 wood_e Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Nice! I would also say that you can just use a few small zip ties. I did that and it seems to have worked just as well.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53238
What I Drive: 2007 Dk Toreador Red

FF Reputation: 1 InfiniteWill Good Standing Member
Great write up. Thanks for the pics as well. This drives me crazy it you try to heel-toe shift-brake especially if your a long in the legs like I am.

BTW, the word is PEDAL not petal
Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54519
What I Drive: Amy Lee

FF Reputation: 2 EDDIEBROCK Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I have to try this. Good Job.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
ehhh, i love the location of the PEDALS from the factory. it provides excellent heel-toe shifting. and you say that damage can occur if you smack the pedal to the floor too hard?
are you making sure that the throttle is actually opening and closing completely?

i'll sticky this for a while and see how many hits you get. if you get alot, ill ask Chad to add it to our archive. but if not and this mod is deemed faulty, i cant help ya.

ooh, and i fixed the petals
Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
.....NObama.....

Fan#: 8674
What I Drive: 05 Sonic Blue ZX3

Points 11,396, Level 70
Points: 11,396, Level: 70 Points: 11,396, Level: 70 Points: 11,396, Level: 70
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 18 Sonicbluezx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Interesting mod...
Old 04-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10690
What I Drive: 2004 Cd Silver 2.3l zx3

FF Reputation: 1 cdpzevzx3 Good Standing Member
Spelling was never my strong point

To answer the questions what i was trying to say about damaging the car is i was worried some 16 year old with a heavy foot would slam the gas as hard as he could and snap the line. If you do the mod you can feel that it is not giving to much tension. For the right drivers this is very safe.

If it didn't close completely it would not idle like usual and it does, and the car felt a little bit faster at wot so its opening more than before i think. I am assuming the floor stopped the petal before. If you still wanna try it maybe try 1/4 inch instead just to feel it out. This mod is reallly worth trying i love it

Team Duratec #813

Last edited by cdpzevzx3; 04-02-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
Official FF Sanjaya

Fan#: 39824
What I Drive: 2001 Infra-Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 26 R3d_RovrZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpzevzx3 View Post
and the car felt a little bit faster at wot so its opening more than before i think.
rubber tubing adds more horsepower than flame decals, haha, just messin :-P

as much as i doubt this mod opens the throttle significantly more than stock and makes the car faster, i still think this is a worthwhile mod to check out purely for heel-toe accessibility...although since the mod i am actually finding it more difficult, haha

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.