Leds to Fuse - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52470
What I Drive: 2007 Gold S

FF Reputation: 1 focikid89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Led Questions

I have a 07 focus I want want to put Leds into. I am confused about powering the leds. My first question is, if I wanted to power my leds from the inside fuse box how would I do this without just wrapping wire around a fuse and sticking it in?
My second question is how do I hook up several at once, is there a line converter to turn 1 line into 4? This I know nothing about.
And finally, if I want to hook them up to my parking lights how would I do that? I'd like them on all the time so I figure this would make it happen.
Advise is much appreciated. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Ok, never mind I have read the Ozinum forums and found everything I needed to know like the add a circuit fuse line and stuff.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Leds to Fuse

I plan on installing around 20 or so leds in my car, with 4 cathodes. I am wonder if I should use 2 fuses in empty spots or can I just put all of these in one fuse in an empty spot?
I don't want to run them to the battery as this seems safer and easier, let me know what you think.

Also how many leds can you run to 1 switch?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

So I can run as many led's as I want to 1 fuse if I have a fuse and power line that can handle the power draw right?
I'm going to run Cathodes to a seperate fuse. And a switch can handle as many leds right?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Does anyone know my answer or am I blurry with my description?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
while using leds, im sure any switch will be able to handles hundreds of leds.
the cathodes dont draw much either. 1 switch will be fine as well.
and im sure you could run all your leds and cathodes to one fuse. all switches have how many amps they can hold printed on the packages or the switch itself.

i suggest tapping 12v source instead of tapping the fuse block.
either get it from the ignition switch or running a 12-14g wire from the battery into the cabin.
this way you can wire in an inline fuse. this will be easier to replace if you do indeed blow a fuse.

remember to wire in a resistor at the beginning of the leds circuit. this way the leds will last longer and not be suseptible to getting blown from the whole amperage of the battery.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah the Leds Im getting are pre-wired. I dont really want to run from the battery and I dont know where the ignition switch is at, although Im guessing near ignition.
Now I thought you can solder all the wires together and hook them to a fuse, is this correct? I am planning on buying a add a circuit line so doing it this way is safe correct?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38958
FF Reputation: 4 Elite Aviator Good Standing Member
just remember to put a resistor in line with them or they will blow out. A 220 or 430 ohm resistor will do. Unless they come with a built in resistor, then your fine.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Ok so I am reconsidering tapping to battery. This will be safe if I have a amplifier already hooked up to it right? I just didnt want to do this because I'm going to ghetto rig it through the door, but wires are tucked in fender with only about 2'' showing at door.
Also I can solder all the ground wires together and ground them all at once, right?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 46141
What I Drive: 2001, Sangria Red Sedan

FF Reputation: 7 8ternity Good Standing Member
Hi,

I suggest you to install on the lighter plug, on the ring dimmer illumination, it's only an positive wire, and take the negative on the lighter plug. It's what i've done on my led project, and the dimmer control all the leds to. I have installed to an on/off swithed.

An electronics store told me to forget the fuse, del's not take to much amperage so it's safe, and plug into the lighter plug it's already contains a fuse of 10A if i remember.

Don't forgot to install resistence on depending the voltage led's and input voltage. If you connect in sÚries, or parralele, the resistences wired diagram and connection will be different.

Wait i will take the sheet i have received.

Here it go, you have an schema! ;)

ENJOY. I will post my project soon.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.