1. Solder Iron
  2. Solder
  3. Pliers
  4. Wire Stripper
  5. 16-18 Gauge Wire (Threaded)
  6. 1/4 Wratchet
  7. 1/4 Wratchet Extention
  8. T-20 Torx Bit
  9. Power Source Detector (Clear Orange Thing)
  10. Zip Ties

Begin by using the 1/4 wratchet with the extention and T-20 torx bit and unscrew the bolt that is holding the door handle, lock, and switches.

Once that is done, pull on the face plate until it comes off. It may take some M.A.N.[strongman]

Now take about 4 peices of wire, 8in each, and strip the ends about 1/4" inch, and start to twist the threaded end.

Now tin the ends of them so they will not bird-cage on you when they are pushed into the socket terminals.

For the following instructions there is no need to do any more soldering, all you have to do us snug the wire into the back of the sockets with the other wire(s). After that zip tie them so they are not all dangling around.......

On the back of the socket for the window switch do the following:

Put the ground (blue) wire into socket 1, with the Black Wire
NOTE: Passenger side is socket 4, with the Black Wire

Put the Hot (red) wire into socket 10, with the Blue/Green Wire
NOTE: Passenger side is socket 2, with the White/Green Wire

On the back of the socket for the lock switches do the following:
Put the ground (blue) wire into socket 4, which is the LED Ground.
Put the Hot (red) wire into socket 5, which is the LED 12V Supply.

And the outcome!

Here is a diagram incase you need more reference:

See less See more
Reactions: Mr.Bergner
#2 ·
u meanie...i was going to write that how-to tomorrow! haha, well done...i can vouch for everything he said...the wiring is accurate...if u accidentally touch certain wrong wires...u will probably blow the 25 amp fuse for the windows...so you might want to have one of those on hand as well

#5 ·
you know i've been wanting to do this for so long, i think since i first bought the car new over 2 years ago... now i think i have a project to do very soon. great write up as well [thumb]

sticky this [:D]

i have some orange LEDs left over as well [:D] time to get rid of that awlful green color

**added**
oh yeah, what gauge wire did you use? 16ga?

#6 ·
So this gets the lock and window symbols to "light up"? Maybe I just haven't been paying attention but I thought they already did light up?? Also the 4 pieces of wire you use to stick in the socket thing, do you splice those into anything??

#7 ·
Thanks guys! [:)]

I used 18 gauge since it's only an LED. THe window locks are already lit up. It is the lock switches that some people have that are not.

There is no splicing of the wires, your going to just stick the tinned end of the wire into the back of the socket (plug) it should fit nice and snug with no need to cut wires. You need 1 ground wire and 1 hot wire for a total of 2 wires for each door.

Reactions: cdsilver02
#10 ·
and rudel, no wonder urs looks easier, u only have two windows to deal with, i had 4, lol

#11 ·
Hey, if youcan get some pictures similar to what I have, I can make another diagram or add it to this "How To:"

#13 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the 4 door have more wires or terminal studs in the plug of the window switches. But I don't think that should be as confusing wiring up the lock switch LEDs, unless there are lock switches in the back doors also. If not, the pattern of hooking up the wires should be the same then.

I only have a 2 door, and never sat in a 4 door....either of the ZX4 or ZX5

#14 ·
i'll try and get pics, i'm hesitant to open my door panel back up, lol, lest the wires fall out, lol.

#15 ·
**DONE**
just finished this mod and it's a whole lot better now[thumb]
thanks for the great write up

oh and someone should let S2 know that the link for the other how-to is dead [;)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.