Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2006 (maybe '05) fog light mod problem (w/pics)

5K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  gimp_my_ride 
#1 ·
sorry for the large images, but i wanted to make sure it had enough detail inside the connectors.

I've looked all over the boards and can only find the usual R13-R12 jump or the R13 single wire mod. I've seen that other people with the '05 seem to be having the issue too so i figured i'd post a pic to see if this is what they're seeing also.

i have a 2006 ZX3 with factory fog lights but (as you see here) i do NOT have the R13 and my manual lists R13 as being "not used" so i'm lead to believe that either it's been moved or hard wired somewhere. some people have said that they've modded it successfully but they never post a pic of what the mod looks like or even give a general idea of what they did.

This is how my underhood fusebox looks without any changes. My daytime running lights (R12) have the wiring but no relay. i jumped it to verify functionality (i may hook those up at some point [:D] )

the spot where the foglights are supposed to be (R13) has no wiring at all.

YELLOW - R12, Day Time Running Lights (also part of the foglight mod on the '00 - '04
GREEN - R13, the spot where the foglight mod is done on the '00 - '04
RED - this is where you can see whether there is wiring or not

here is a wider view

------

so, if one of the people that has successfully done the mod on a 2005 or 2006 model focus (zx3 preferably) could post HOW they did it, i'd be infinitely appreciative.

also, if anyone else that has tried to mod their '05 or '06, and run into the same problem, let post what (if anything you found out).

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
it's really easy. as long as you know where to connect the wires, it should only take about 10 minutes

#5 ·
doesn't seem so.
1. they only come on when i turn on my headlights
2. they go off when i hit my brights

#10 ·
my fog lights come on without the head lights on and go off with the highs, but i cant turn them on without the parking lights :(

ooo this is on an 06 ZX3 SES

#12 ·
so, we have:

2x foglights always on
1x foglights work with parking lights
1x foglights work without headlights (w/parking lights?)

and now my foglights don't work at all for some reason. checked the fuse and still can't find a freakin relay to check

#13 ·
I have a 2005, and the fog lights only come on with the headlights. They will not come on with just the running lights (yet the switch will move in an out as if you were turning them on and off)...which seems really odd to me. I want to do the fog light mod, but I have never tried it.

I work at a Ford dealership, maybe I'll see if I can get some wiring diagrams for the DRL system and fog lamp system. Possibly someone smart on here will be able to come up with one for us oddities...

#15 ·
They changed a few things very early on in the 06 model year production. The suspension and the location of the PS reservoir is different than 05/early 06. Perhaps they changed the fog lights at the same time...would definitely explain the discrepancy.

#16 ·
So the understanding is that the 2006+ Foci come with the foglight mod done from the factory while the 2005 does not. And there is no clear way to do the fog light mod on the 2005 because no one has figured it out yet or they are not posting their findings? Either way I would like to be able to do the fog light mod on my 2005.

Good luck to those who endeavor to solve the 2005 owners problems.

#17 ·
kinda.

it looks like they changed stuff throughout '05 - '06 (according to mastadon) but i haven't really noticed a clear divider of what got which what (wtf?)

and it seems that no one has found a way to mod the (new/weird/halfass/?) style setup but
05_black_zx5 says he may be able to get his hands on a wiring diagram and i'm sure with all the skilled folks here at FF, someone will be able to do it.

as soon as i see a diagram, i'll be trying to figure it out on mine.

btw... i got my fogs to work. god i felt like an idiot when i hit the SWITCH. [?|]
i could've sworn i'd turned them on by just turning on the headlights before... anyway, they work with park lights and with the dims.

#18 ·
I have an 06 ST with power steering on the firewall and I can cruise with just fogs and parking lights.

#19 ·
someone should probably add a little note to the "HOW TO" for this mod stating that it doesn't work on '05/'06 model year focus(es?).

#21 ·
rock on! if i can get this done, i'll have to start actually buying things to mod with :p

i've already done the shorty antenna (repainting it with a high gloss block though)
deleted the upper grill lights
faux stealth CAI
door lock lights
and i think a couple others that i read on the forums as well.

i've been lurking here for a few weeks but could never post (account activation issue) so it's good to finally join the fold.

#23 ·
do tell... difficult and complicated is fine with me as long as i can make it work [thumb]

#24 ·
Here's the wiring diagrams. I wrote down what our shop foreman suggested to do in order to achieve our goal. Perhaps someone will be able to think of something simpler and similar to the original fog light mod, by jumping relays instead of cutting wires. [thumb]

DRL SYSTEM

FOG LAMPS

#25 ·
thanks 05-BLACK-zx5,

just got back from camping with the inlaws. i'll print this out and take a look at it tomorrow. if i get it going, i'll take pictures for the other new model owners that want to do this mod [:D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.