Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Paint Matching Help Needed!

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Sting2324 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Here is the situation. My friend has volunteered to paint my rims, and repaint my body kit.

What is the best way to paint match the Egg Yolk Yellow color that my 01 Street Edition is?

He told me that if I chip a piece off (my kit is already flaking a bit) and give it to him, he can run it through a paint scanner or something. I don't really WANT to intentionally chip some off.. is there a better way?

I'd just like to be able to walk into Ace Hardware and say "Give me a couple gallons of Ford's Egg Yolk Yellow."

So... what's the best way to get some matching paint?

Thanks in advance!!!

#4 ·
Yeah... But u got to remember sun... The sun will tear the hell out of your paint... No matter what u probley will never get a perfect match... I no from experiance that u cant cuz who knows the number of layers there r in the paint, and clear types... For all i no it may even b single stage paint, and then its all down hill cuz sun will fade that bad... U jus gotta get the color code and tint is till its as close as u can go... Its hard to match paint!!! Thats the best advise i can give... Jus try an find out the type of paint and clear they used cuz every type is tinted a little different!

#11 ·
yep might have to still have some one fade them in together after you have it painted with the color code

#12 ·
Any good bodyshop can make it look like it wasn't even painted. If you can find a local DuPont store, go there with your Focus. Give them the paint code that is listed on your drivers door jamb with the words, EXT PNT listed below your code. Let them know that you would like to get the best possible match and you would like them to use their camera. I can't recall the exact name, but I think it's called a Spectrophotometer. What it does is basically takes a picture of your paint and runs it over your paint code and adjusts if nessacery. Some times a VIN number is helpful too. Providing the paint mixer doesn't mix up the measurements of your paint, you should have the best possible match that one can get. After you paint your bodkit, it's possible that the color might not match and you'll be able to tell what part was painted. This is where 'blending' comes into play. When done properly, it's virtually impossible to tell where or what was painted.
You shouldn't need alot of paint either. A half a pint of paint will give you a pint of sprayable material after it's reduced.

---Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.