Hello! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 01:14 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 315569
What I Drive: 2007 Gold zx4

Points 29, Level 1
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 1 Senistr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hello!

I just got a 07 ZX4 S and am intrigued by the many things that can be done with it. Even more, I am intrigued by the gas mileage in this thing. With that being said, I am looking forward to changing my new ride in the future.

I do have some questions though on thoughts an opinions from what I have looked up and researched so far. I am hoping to get some good, positive feedback on some of these items.

First, for the exhaust I had originally planned on doing a cherry bomb with a lunch box delete but after talking to the guy who did the exhaust on my Jeep Liberty, he suggested getting a new, or used magnaflow which he can do for around $80-150 here locally. Should I still do the lunchbox delete when that's done or would it be too loud?

As far as CAI's go, should I go with the Steeda or K&N? It is about a $70 difference and if the Steeda is just as good, I would rather save some money.

There are not a lot of body kits that I have seen but the one I like so far is the Duraflex Pro-DTM body kit seen at http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...s__105295.html Has anyone dealt with Duraflex body kits?

And suspension is another possible upgrade. Should I just go with some springs like H&R Sport springs or should I get the Ford Racing Performance Damper kit to go with them? I am not totally sure if I could just get the springs or if I would benefit more from having them both.

"Quoth the Raven, Nevermore"
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 239202
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx3 SES

Points 475, Level 9
Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 5 Marklar134 Good Standing Member
might as well just get a whole new exhaust, i got a 2.5" catback with an 18" glasspack made and installed for under $200 locally. pretty loud, wife hates it but i like it.

as far as cold air intakes, six in one hand, half a dozen in the other. not really any difference.

duraflex are fiberglass, have a tendency to break during shipping, and most of the time require some decent modification to get them to fit right.

suspension-wise, wouldnt recommend lowering springs on stock dampeners, the FRPP kit is cheap and seem to hold up pretty well. ive had mine on for about a year with some 2" lowering springs and havent had any problems yet.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 29, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
I would love to spend the extra money for a full exhaust system but I am a full time college student with my only income from Ch. 33 BAH and military disability.

Thank you for the input on the Duraflex brand. I guess I would have to save up for a better kit, I just like how that specific kit looked.

Do you have a link for that FRPP kit? I see the Ford race damp kit and I didn't know if that was needed, or if it was just better to get that kit.

Basically I am wanting to give it some more pep while giving it a nice look. I rather go for more of a show look then straight performance.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:36 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 283753
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT

Points 96, Level 1
Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 777-300ER Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senistr View Post
I would love to spend the extra money for a full exhaust system but I am a full time college student with my only income from Ch. 33 BAH and military disability.

Thank you for the input on the Duraflex brand. I guess I would have to save up for a better kit, I just like how that specific kit looked.

Do you have a link for that FRPP kit? I see the Ford race damp kit and I didn't know if that was needed, or if it was just better to get that kit.

Basically I am wanting to give it some more pep while giving it a nice look. I rather go for more of a show look then straight performance.
Here is the FRPP kit: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-18000-ZX3B

You'd be better off buying a tuner from focus-power.com and maintainence than other power adders at first. Or save your money for emergencies and wait until you have more income for hobbies.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 29, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
Thank you for the link. I save up for bits and pieces and do groups of things together. For instance, I did my Jeep's 2.5" lift, 5 KO2's, side steps, muffler, and spare tire extension all for under 3K.

My first true upgrades would be a muffler and CAI first then a possible tune. The only reason I would do a tune after is it's the 5 sp manual and from what i've read, the tune is more for the automatics than the manuals.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 29, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
Having a hard time finding body kits that are not fiberglass for the 05-07 sedan

Old 08-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 239202
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx3 SES

Points 475, Level 9
Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 5 Marklar134 Good Standing Member
yup, gonna be pretty spendy for a non fiberglass body kit. fiberglass isnt the end of the world, lots of people have them, just gonna be some work to install and they dont hold up as well
Old 08-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
Focus Rookie

Points 29, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
Yeah I am sure about that. The problem is finding one. The only non fiberglass one i've seen was one from Razzi and it looks like crap. Although I did find this body kit that I think looks pretty good. Instead of waiting for the cash to get it all painted with the car I could just plasti dip the entire car while saving.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 9,549, Level 65
Points: 9,549, Level: 65 Points: 9,549, Level: 65 Points: 9,549, Level: 65
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 35 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
You dont have enough to spend on a proper exhaust yet you want a non-functional body kit? To get that properly fitted and painted, you will be spending some decent coin. I'd strongly suggest not worrying about a body kit for the foreseeable future. I know they are mostly personal taste but most look like rubbish that are not oem based (imo.) Put that money towards suspension, wheels/tires/brakes, or power mods like intake/exhaust/header/tune. With this being a new car to you and on a budget, i would focus on reliability; make sure you stay up on maintenance.

As far as CAI's go, they mostly all perform the same. The Steeda unit we usually call a Short Ram, its filter is located in the engine bay vs a CAI that locates the filter lower in the front bumper. If price is your only concern, I would look at the FSwerks CAI, its $60 cheaper than the Steeda currently.
Focus Induction > Air Intakes
I have had the FSWerks for years, no complaints and have driven it all types of weather with out issue.

FSWerks also makes a great exhaust (their Stealth is highly rated around here $460, especially for those like me that have added a header)
Exhaust ? FSWERKS
If you want to save some money, some have bought from here:
Car Exhaust - Ford - 00-07 Ford Focus - Mandrel Exhaust Systems
Old 08-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

Points 29, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
The body kit is last on my list. I am just searching and bookmarking for future reference. Thank you for the link to the FSWerks intake since I havn't found that one just yet. That is appreciated.

As far as the exhaust, the guy I go to does custom work with Magnaflow and a few other brands and could possible be cheaper for him to do it for less. Last time I used him, I was charged $180 for a 18" cut and rewelded of part of an exhaust and he changed out a muffler and added a o2 sensor for me. All the other shops were quoting me around $225-250.

In the order that I am looking to go for now would be :

CAI & Exhaust(part)
Suspension & Springs
Cosmetics (IE Lights, fix any dents or scratches)
Plastidip
Wheels & Tires
Body Kit

Some of the kits I have found is a FBR one and I know it will take a professional to install it correctly. With that being said, I spent hours searching google, ebay, and amazon and I have seen only 1 plastic kit which is uglier then blown up jihadist (ex military). So if I must go with a fiberglass kit, so be it.

I do appreciate your input and the links! I will definitely check them out and adjust what needs to be saved for each section. Part of budgeting is setting a goal amount and plan to get the goal! This is how I did my Jeep's build. Planned it for about 7 months, 6 months just to do the lift, 5 tires, and side steps lol.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.