Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to: Paint your Headlights 2005

180K views 366 replies 183 participants last post by  Copper 
#1 ·
Ok well as I said I would I'm making this write up for painting the inside of your 2005 Focus headlights black.

Materials needed:

Black paint (recommend gloss finish)
Silicone Sealant
Scour pad
Beer [;)]
Masking tape
Tools needed:

10mm wrench
8mm wrench
Phillips screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
torx bits (allens will work but torx will be better)
Car jack
Your hands
Razor Blade

Time require:
Total - 12-48hrs
Headlight removal - 30min - 1hr
Headlight opening - 2-3hrs
painting - 2-3 hrs
paint dry time - at least 1hr
Headlight reassembly - 30min - 1hr
Sealant cure time - at least 8hrs
headlight reinstall 30min - 1hr

Step 1

Using a Phillips screwdriver Remove the Black plastic radiator shroud.

Step 2

With a 10mm wrench loosen the two bold hold the upper grill to the radiator frame. Then while pulling forward lift the two clips on either side of the hood latch to remove the upper grill.

Step 3

Using a 10mm wrench loosen the top two bold on the headlight assembly.

Step 4

Using a car jack lift the side of the car to lower the wheel to gain access to wheel well shroud.

Step 5

Loosen and pull wheel well shroud back using a 8mm wrench and torx bit or allen wrench.

Step 6

Using a 10mm wrench loosen and remove the third and final bolt holding the headlamp assembly on the vehicle.

Step 7

Turn on oven to 200 degrees.

Step 8

While oven is warming remove the rubber trim from the headlamp assembly.

Step 9

After oven as fully warmed place one headlamp on a baking/cookie sheet in the oven for about 15minutes.

Step 10

Pull out the headlamp. CAREFUL ITS GOING TO BE HOT! I'd wear some sort of oven mitt or work glove to handle the headlamp.

While the head lamp is still hot using a thin flathead work around the edge of the headlamp seal to break the seal.

**NOTE**

You may have to repeat steps 9 & 10 several times over in order to fully break the seal.

Step 11

Once the clear plastic cover is removed from the black plastic housing you will have to next remove the chrome trim that is going to be painted from the clear plastic housing. TO do use remove the 2 bolts with either a torx bits or allen drive to do so.

Step 12

Mask off the area not to be painted. I'd suggest masking of at least the turn signal reflector to keep the fuzz from giving you grief. Using a razor blade to cut the outside edge of the reflector seemed to work well for me.

Step 13

This step is important. Rough up all the surfaces to be painted with the scouring pad so the paint will stick to the plastic. Not doing so will result in poor adhesion of the paint.

I personally forgot this step so I didn't get as good as results as I should have.

Step 14

Pop the next headlight in the oven

Step 15

Paint. Make sure to paint in several thin layers as to one thick one. The will help avoid runs and still provide good coverage and overall consistency.

Step 16

Have a beer.
Repeat steps 9 thru 15 for your second headlight.

Allow the paint to dry at least an hour before handling.

Step 17 remove the tape from the now black trim. And reinstall the painted trim into the clear housing. Don't forget the 2 screws that holds on to the clear plastic.

Step 18

Using the silicone sealant run a good thick bead around the black housing where the clear plastic seats into the black housing.

Step 19

Using some tape, tape the two parts together tightly and let it sit at least 8 hours.

Step 20

Remove tape and marvel at you new hotness of headlights.

Step 21 Perform steps 1-6 in reverse order.

DONE!!! Now you have a unique 2005 Focus that all your friends will drool over.

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]Please Note[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

This how-to is nothing but merely a guide on the best methods to go about the project. I do not take any responsibility of any ill-effects that occur to you vehicle from this mod or any legal issues they may arise do to the modification of your cars headlight system. PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK!

-Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
sweet write up but i would feel weird putting my headlight in an oven

#8 · (Edited)
OMG your a friggin genious that would look so awesome on my black ride man.
great write up.

what brand paint did you use, and i have a gas oven :would this work in this project?

#9 ·
Wowsers, looks totally great! If I had an '05, I would be doing this pronto...definitely should make the How-To Archive! [:D]

#11 ·
Very good write up. Although this has been done several times over on the Ford Contour forums, and has been known to damage the plastic lense. Basically what has happened is that the heat from the oven will cause the lense to eventually develop what is called "crow's feet" or hazing in which the headlight will yellow and get surface cracks. Just a heads up.

#12 ·
ok so the only prob would be the lens? cause i can get around baking them, just never have tried.

#14 ·
WOW! lost of replies. Anyways For Paint I used Krylon Gloss black paint. You could use fusion paint but the regular stuff works well. As far as the clear lense, yeah it may accelerate the aging process but on my WRX after a year I had no evidence on the lense becoming cloudy.

If you don't feel comfortable enough oven baking the whole lamp you can use a hairdryer/heatgun, but it will take longer to do.

Oh and yes you can do it with a gas oven, did my WRX lights with a gas oven and it worked perfectly.

-Matt

#15 ·
[ohcrap]that looks bad ass if I had an 05 I would do that as soon as I brought it home form the dealer[hihi] Great write up[thumb]

#16 ·
HeelToe said:
WOW! lost of replies. Anyways For Paint I used Krylon Gloss black paint. You could use fusion paint but the regular stuff works well. As far as the clear lense, yeah it may accelerate the aging process but on my WRX after a year I had no evidence on the lense becoming cloudy.

If you don't feel comfortable enough oven baking the whole lamp you can use a hairdryer/heatgun, but it will take longer to do.

Oh and yes you can do it with a gas oven, did my WRX lights with a gas oven and it worked perfectly.

-Matt
If thats true about your WRX then glad to hear it, I was just giving a heads up because a lot (tons) of guys on the Contour site have tried it and shortley thereafter the damage has begun.

#20 ·
BFocusSVT said:
If thats true about your WRX then glad to hear it, I was just giving a heads up because a lot (tons) of guys on the Contour site have tried it and shortley thereafter the damage has begun.
Yeah I understand your point. Its' possible that ford used a cheaper plastic on the contours that are more prone to cracking aftey they've been subjected to abnormally high temps. I don't dout that it happens, but from my experince I haven't had any issues.

-Matt

#22 ·
I couldn't say if it would or not. I seemed to remember some one doing this on a HID set, it was much more involved since there are more parts you have to disasemble on the actual lamp assembly.

-Matt

#23 ·
I am painting my headlights right now, i just finished the last coat on the lights...

one question, do you peel off all the old seal/gasket? or did you just leave it on?

also, thanks for the great how-to, it was pretty much as straight forward as you wrote it, the oven thing worked great, i had to reheat them a few times, but by the second light i had it down and off well, i was too nervous to take a scuff pad to the lights cause i didnt want to mess up the finish, so i just painted a lot of coats. it looks great, ill post some pics of it when its done. check out my gallery for pics of before the mod

#25 ·
scrammer said:
this would lok great on my black svt. i already have custom eyelids, this would only compliment the HID's even more. great write up!!!
i dont know...HIDs are alittle bit more expensive then the stock headlights, i probably wouldnt mess with them, god forbig if they got messed up. Im sure they would look awesome though, black them out, then get those black euro tail lights from european parts and it would look sick. But me, i dont think id do it lol....maybe find some used lights and practice first lol.

#26 ·
Wow man! Thanks for that How-To. I have a new project for tomorrow as long as my motor mounts dont come in the mail =P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.