Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Window tinting in Michigan, please help

7K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  nantaism 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking into tinting my windows on my black ZX3 but I need some help. First off, I live in Michigan, so the tint law is 35% and it is illegal to tint the driver and passenger windows. Now, how strict are cops about that in MI, anyone know? I'm not looking to get pulled over, but I see alot of people in MI with their driver and passenger windows tinted. Also, is 35% dark enough, or is it not worth it? And lastly, anyone know of any good shops in Michigan (Auburn Hills or Rochester area) that does nice tinting work? Thanks.

#9 ·
Two things, first off if you stop in a police station they have to answer all your questions for you (you pay there salaries with your taxes). Then stop in tint shops (2 or 3) and ask them what they have heard about how picky the cops are. When I got mine done on my last car they told me "this is what is legal and this is what you can get away with". The second thing is if you wear glases or contacts go to your eye doctor and tell him/her your having problems driving even with sunglasses on cause your eyes are so sensitive to light. The doctor will write you a perscription for window tint and you can get it as dark as you want and the cops can't do crap about it. They may pull you over for it but just keep the perscription in you glove box and they can't do any thing about it. My eye doctor actually told me this cause my eyes are so sensitive I do have trouble driving when its real bright out. Good luck.

#10 ·
I've had 5% on car since I've been home in March and haven't been pulled over yet. I don't think they care taht much. When you do get pulled over roll your windows all the way down and place your hands outside the car so they can see them at all times. Showing a little consideration can go a long ways if they give you a fix it ticket or let you go.

#11 ·
Va cops are pricks about it. On my old ride, I had tint, legal all around, but still got pulled over twice for it. [:(!] No tickets, but still, getting pulled over for nothing is pretty stupid.

#12 ·
I got pulled over in VA while visting my in-laws for my tint and the cop told me I had to take it off. I said I was from out of town and would be going home in a couple days (lived in ohio at the time and had ohio plates on my car). He told me it didn't matter and that I had to meet all of VA's laws while in VA. I kind of got in to it with him and told him there is no way in hell all cars from diffrent states had to comply with VA laws while driving through the state of VA. I told him to arrest me or let me go and he actually said get the hell out of here. I told him thanks and no hard feelings and he just stormed off. So point of story is.......yes VA cops are pricks.

#13 ·
Thanks for the advice. My girlfriend's ex got pulled over for illegal tints and they took a razor to his windows, that's bullshit but what can you do. I'm going to talk to some shops this week and see what they say I can get away with. I'll let you know what I find out.

#17 ·
i dont have any of my windows tinted yet but one of my friends in high school has about 20% tint all the way around his grand am. He lives in bridgeport were there is a state police post right across the street from our school and he said that after 2 years of tint he never got pulled over.

#18 ·
I made an appoinment to have my tints done this Saturday and I've decided to tint the front driver and passanger windows too. I'm just debating on what % for the back windows. On the fronts I'm doing 35%, but I'm not sure about the little and rear windows. I'm thinking about going one shade lighter than limo on those three. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.