Focus Fanatics Forum banner

HOWTO: license plate lights

106K views 60 replies 52 participants last post by  joeblo1999 
#1 ·
okay, a simple task but a bit of an enigma. here it is explained, pictures from my (very dirty) 2001 ZX3, but the process was the same with my wife's 2001 SE as well.

1. open the trunk or hatch, get it up to eye/hand level. it's a lot easier.

2. remove your license plate (otherwise it gets wedged in once you free it from it's socket)

3. pry gently at the right (passenger) side of the light lens. i used an old keychain, but anything wide and flat should do well. (pictures 1 & 2 & 3)

4. the light will shift to the left as you pry, then it will move downward with the pry lever and pop out of it's hole. (picture 4)

5. the light is out, (picture 5) now remove the bulb from it's copper contacts and (gently) snap in the new bulb. i gave the bulb a bit of a twist in the holder, just to remove any oxidation on the contacts.

6. gently snap it back into it's hole, inserting the left side first.

7. test it out - turn on your parking lights (the license plate lights should come on even if you don't have the engine running or keys in the ignition)

8. replace your license plate and close your trunk before you drive away [:)]

that's it. note: the lights are not symmetrical; the spring is still on the left side for the passenger-side light (picture 6). this was a bit of a surprise.

See less See more
#28 ·
The bulb number for the license plate lamps are 6418. Make sure that you look at the specifications for them. Look for 39mm or 1 1/2" in length. I usually shop around for specific types of bulbs online rather than going to an auto parts store. I've used http://www.autolumination.com in the past and I like the results there.

Cheers!

#29 ·
I did mine a little over two months ago. Swapped out for the leds from autolumination (great place gotten bulbs for all my cars from there for a few years now). The 3 led bulbs give that look like the acuras have. Nice little bluish white glow. However when I opened mine up to swap the bulbs out everything was covered in that green oxidation like salt water got in there from the winter (yay ohio). I scratched off the contacts with a screw driver. But does anybody have any ideas how to clean those out?

#30 ·
Might try a little bit of coca cola on a toothbrush. Works great to clean battery terminals too.

#31 ·
I wish mine had not been so rusty, the first one just fell apart, had to rig it together and take it apart from the back ( behind the plastic trim plate) to replace the second one. Oh well I guess 200k+ miles will get some water/rust back there- not exactly watertight assembly!

#33 ·
Thank god for this post. I was pulled over for no tag light about a year and a half ago. I got some bulbs and couldn't figure out how the hell to put them in. I took the trunk liner out and had to thread my arm around to get at it from the other side. The bulbs never would snap in place (couldn't see contact points) and it has been a pain until now. Can't wait to drive tonight and not worry about getting a dumb ticket!

#36 ·
thanks

Great post, helped me out great! but when I opened my bulb assembly I noticed a bunch of blue fluid drip out of the area the bulb assembly went in. I think it was washer fluid, I'm a bit concerned because it looked like there had been plenty of fluid in the as parts of the assembly were stained blue.

thoughts? should I be concerned? the new bulb worked fine after I put a new one in.

#43 ·
I popped mine out to take out the burnt out stock bulbs to swap with LEDS... terminals were caked in corrosion. Looks like i need to get new lenses for those. How would you rewire these wires then for the Trunk lights?

#52 ·
just in case anyone is wondering, the factory ford lamp kit - 2 lens assemblies, with factory style bulbs is part # YS4Z-13550-A . This is good for those that have a corrosion issue or have broken lenses. About $30. Also comes with self adhesive insulation to keep the connection from contacting the metal parts in the hatch causing blown fuses.

G
#53 ·
I have a 2012 sel. auto store gave me bulbs. i got home, took the inside lining of the hatch apart. still couldnt get to light. i finally pryed it out. (not like the pics above) it was in there with what seemed like a one direction clip. (once poped in not meant to come out.) After removing it i had to pry the lenz off because it was glued. it had a circuit board in it with a very tint circuit board light. dont know eher ill get one. cops pulled me over because light isnt working. i have done some searches including ford dealer and they say dont know when part will become available. what a crock of ship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.