Focus Fanatics Forum banner

When does LOW FUEL light come on? 1gal, 2 gal 3 gal?

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  rambleon84 
#1 ·
I usually fill up at 1/4 tank, but every now and then I run til the light pops on.

Specs say my 06 zx4 sedan 2.0 PZEV has a 14 gallon tank.

Last week I ran it until the light came on and it was only on for about a mile or 3. Filled up and got 11 gallons in.

Does that sound right? So the light triggers at ~3 gallons left? (~90-100 miles til empty)

#2 ·
The gas tank device which sends to signal is a bent wire and a float.
Obviously that is not really an 'accurate' machine.
So the 2 to 3 gallonss is about as accurate as it gets.
Though once you 'know' your own, it should be reliable until you take the gastank apart. and then you have to find out what it will be again.

#6 ·
I always run it to the light lol. Sometimes I run it to work again and back for another day or 2 if I'm too lazy to fill it up. Maybe 5 km to work and another 5 back home so an extra 20 km. never had it die out on me. Sometimes I like to see how low the needle will actually go before it does on me. I guess I like to live dangerously...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Guess that's a good thing about living so close to work lol. The bad thing is, I could save money on gas if I wasn't so lazy and just walked 15-20 mins hahaha

#10 ·
Yea 3 gallons sounds right because that's about 11 litres and when I fill up I usually top it off at 40 litres, knowing our cars have a 50 litre tank means 10 litres of reserve with the light on.

#13 ·
I am at 3 gal when my light comes on.

That said, I rarely go below 1/8th of a tank.

#14 ·
i know this thread is old...but just wanted to chime in with my question on it...

on my 2005 zx4 2.0 the low fuel light comes on, but when i fill it im lucky if i can get 40 litres in it....so if the tank is 55 litres (or is it 50) that means i have 15 litres of go juice left?...which means instead of 500KM per tank, theoretically i could get 6-650km?

That seems like a pretty big cushion:)

#15 ·
Well 40liter is 10.5669gal (us) so its not far off. If i fill up right when the light comes on, its usually right around 11gal which would be closer to 42liter. If i am doing highway trips (ie, constant speed and constant mpg) i am comfortable going another 75miles with out worrying about running out of gas. I dont think i have ever actually put more than 13gal in the tank before either. Its pretty cushy

Also, assuming your tank is the same size as the US versions (which i dont see what they wouldnt be) its 53 liter = 14gal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.