Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Rain Gutter

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  alfieboy 
#1 ·
I have a leak in the back 5 inches of my passenger side rain gutter, seen here.

How would I best go about sealing the leak?

#2 ·
I can't really tell from the picture where the leak is and if it's not leaking inside the car, it should be a problem, but you could try sealing it with clear silicone. It shouldn't be very noticeable and will plug the leak.

#5 ·
I posted this in the regular General Technical Chat.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308385

TerryB: I have sealed the leaks from the tail lights. I know for certain it is leaking in the last 5 inches of the rain gutter. Are you saying I could pry up the rubber, seal under it, and then use silicone adhesive to reattach?

Here's where it's dripping: http://i.imgur.com/WWulIWw.jpg

I've ruled out any leaks below the red line: http://i.imgur.com/bi4GkbW.jpg

Sniper Focus: Could you take some pictures of where you sealed? I'm not quite sure where, "the seam sealer where the roof and hatch jamb..." is.That would help immensely.

#6 ·
Basically any place that slabs of sheet metal meet, the part in green jumped out at me, but it's still hard to tell by the pic.

The hinges put a lot of stress on that area and Ford did a poor job with the seam sealer. If you push up on the hatch door while it's open you can see the cracks move and where they are. Not to say it couldn't be the tail lights, but I was chasing windmills with taillights and window triangles for months was until I found an obscure thread about the seam cracks.

#7 ·
Thank you so much. That helps a lot.

I held a towel directly behind the roof gutter to isolate it, poured water on it, making sure it didn't drip down to the seams, and water still got in. So I'm 99% positive it is under, or directly behind the rubber trim over the rain gutter.

I actually did a serious deep cleaning to my car after I bought it off craigslist. Took out ALL the interior, save for the dash. Carpet, all the seats, plastic pieces (around the hatch door too), headlining, looked like a rally car in there. Figured I'd find all the leaks while I could see them easily. It had leaks behind both tail lights, a leak coming through a separation in the sheet metal seam around the gas cap door, and through tiny cracks in the hatch door at the corners which you can see the black silicone on that picture. Each time I sealed one and tested with a hose, the amount lessened.

#9 ·
I have a leak in the back 5 inches of my passenger side rain gutter, seen here.

How would I best go about sealing the leak?
!st DRY OUT where the side panels meet the floor pan then you need to check exactly where its leaking, easiest way is with a watering can, remove the top inner side trim panels , (where the seat belt comes through) then if you look you will see a square cut out, now tip a can of water carefully along the top of the rear side windows, check for water ingress, if none tip a can of water carefully over the top of the rear light cluster, check for water ingress, if non remove the roof bar blanking plate then carefully tip a can of water into the roof bar locating slot, check for leak by looking into where square cut out is, if you can see a drip plus water on side panel it means you definitely have a leak in the gutter, the next job is NOT to start ripping the trim out but to buy a wonderful product called Captain Tolleys, Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure 250ml (leak/crack sealer) NEW PACKAGING 744093001000 | eBay so when it arrives all you then have to do is remove the roof bar blanking plate, put a large wadge of kitchen towel at the boot end of the gutter trim then squirt a fair amount ( don't go to mad) of Captain Tolleys into the roof bar slot until it comes out the other end, if you look through the square cutout some times you will see a white drip which means it's found the leak, leave for a day then repeat the process a couple of times, if the leak is from the side window you can use it there also, being careful not to get it on the paintwork, also good for sealing windscreens, if the leak is from round the light cluster simply remove put silicone sealer round bolt holes and the foam gasket where cable comes through. hope this helps and saves every body a lot of work and expense, in my case worked a treat on roof gutter both sides Good Luck Derrick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.