Focus Fanatics Forum banner

pain in the arse just for a headlight

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  focusonthefocus19 
#1 ·
why must i take out the whole headlight assembly just to replace the bulbs.. the tail lights are uber easier yet i find that most fustrating.... all i want to do is enjoy my sylvania silver starr ultras but i cant because i dont wanna have to use a jack to crack that bolt under the wheel well.. sheesh is that too much too ask or am i a total noob who doesnt know how to replace it without touching screws and bolts. [?|][?|][?|]

#2 ·
You don't have to take the light off to replace it. Just take the back cover off and there is a weird type of lever holding the bulb in. You push and move it over and it lets go of the bulb. I wish I could be more descriptive but it's been a while since I had to replace one.

#5 ·
Slow down

First remove the circular black rubber cover on the back of the housing assy. Pinch the little release lever carefully on the wiring harness and pull back and lay aside for the moment. In this opening you will find a black plastic locking ring. Carefully twist it off. (visually note the orientation of the ring), next remove the bulb assy. Reverse these steps to install. A little dab of dielectric on the contacts may prevent future corrosion. These parts are brittle plastic so be patient as not to break anything, they break easily. The right headlight assy can be tricky, as the battery is located right behind the opening.But it can be done. Estimate 30 mins job time total for both. Good luck.

#10 ·
Didn't know that it was accessible from above, I've always jacked it up or used ramps to get at that lower bolt! Once I'm under the car I can find it blindfolded though lol.

#8 ·
pics would help.. i physically cant see the lever which sucks.. i can only see so far in and turn my body lol.. i know that once its shifted and pulled i can get the bulb out.

do i feel the left or the right for the lever....boy its awkward the first time.

Yea i know it could be worse. alot worse.. like i said a pita.

#9 ·
someone on yahoo suggested a mirror to see the un seen.. genius idea. Im gonna attempt it again[scratch] in the A.M.

#12 ·
You know what I did? I just took the bottom bolts out, and never have to worry about those again. XD Personally I just love the focus. Gas mileage can be better though. The ultra's are pretty good! Very noticeable difference in the color out put, but to me it seems like I lost a few lumens due to the blue tint. I'd rather to lose a few lumens to have a whiter light than to have the ugly yellow ones.

Complete, and full retrofit coming soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.