Focus Fanatics Forum banner

looking to buy first generation focus.

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Black&Tan 
#1 ·
hey, guys, new to the forum and i'm looking to buy a first generation ford focus. i decided to join because i was hoping that you guys would be able to give me some tips on which year focus to buy as well as which years to avoid.

my brother told me to stick to the years 2000 and 2001 because the other year ford focus have a lot of electrical problems; can anyone verify that?

also, are the manual transmissions reliable (i prefer manual transmissions)? is the 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder engine is more reliable?

i'll be checking up on the forum regularly, so if you have any questions to ask me, feel free to ask.

thanks in advanced.

edit: looking to buy a four door focus to keep the insurance rates down.

#2 ·
Try to find a 2004. Last year before the redesigned frontend. As for electrical problems, mk1 foci arent no VW. Sure they may be a few who have had issues, but nothing major. Ive owned two 2004 models, a 2.3 atx zx3, and a svt. Just look for one with the lowest mileage, and if you can find a 2.3 with a 5 speed would be better. I didnt have any problems with either the auto tranny, or the 6 speed in the svt, but i cant say anything about the mtx75 that was available either.

#6 ·
I think you can pick up a mtx 75 in all foci up to 2011, its the standard 5-speed option.

the only other transmissions available was the automatic, and the getrag 6-speed for the SVT.

there are 4 engines available that year here they are in order of worst to best.

SPI
Zetec
Zetec SVT
Duratec 2.3

The Zetec is a very solid and reliable engine, you cant go wrong with it. The SVT is basically just a pepped up version of it. The Duratec 2.3 is harder to find, but its the torquiest of the bunch, and arguably the best engine available.

Just avoid the SPI. (which were only available in the wagon and sedan format, get a zx3 or zx5 and you are ballin)

Regarding electrical issues, i've never seen anything major besides the occasional alternator, or 02 sensor. I will say though, that the 2000s and 2001s had more problems than other years, ford mostly fixed the problems by 2002+

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.