Focus Fanatics Forum banner

new to me '02 ZX3 - normal problems?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Planner 
#1 ·
Picked up a 2002 Rainforest green ZX3 on Wednesday for my two teenagers to drive, only 105k on the odometer. Body/exterior is in great shape. Interior is very clean. Had a clean CARFAX. Service tag indicates coolant system done at 82k, CARFAX showed engine service and plugs at 102k and the accessory belt is not very old. For a 10 yr old car, it's a good solid find in the sub $5k price point. Safe for my children (numero uno for me), economical and both of my kids find it very cool.

Three questions:
1- either I'm blind or I can't find the reservoir for the clutch? I want to check color/quality of the clutch fluid. The reservoir on the firewall I am assuming is the brake.

2- There is some rubbing/vibration coming from the passenger side on bumps. I have not been able to isolate it yet, though I don't see anywhere that the tires are rubbing (16" oem wheels with virtually new Uniroyal 205/50-16).

3- Are there replacement polyurethane bushings for the shifter? I already plan to swap the rear torque mount, read up on that. Not sure I want to put money into a short throw shifter yet (my kids will not have an STS before I have one in my Subaru :D), but the shifter is a bit sloppy. I have a 5MT in my '06 Suby Outback and replacement bushings abound for that car.

Was hoping the collective group could point me towards the normal 'problem children' for the rubbing/vibrations.

I do plan to add an FSwerks front stress bar and am still debating whether the Massive or FSwerks rear is the better choice. Down the road, will install the M-300-ZX3A SVT assembled suspension, some black Sparco Asseta Garo 16" wheels, a larger rear sway bar, do a light tint on the windows and a cold air intake. Maybe a cat back - but that's all Dad will pay for. That'll leave the car with a taught suspension, looking good and running great. Kids can fund the rest.

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow your car looks very clean! When I bought my car, there was many scratches, dents,etc all over it. You also might be able to find some of the stuff you are looking for in the Buy-Sell-Trade section on here as well:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Welcome to Focus Fanatics by the way!

#8 ·
Thanks. It's got one dimple on the rear passenger fender and the paint on the rear bumper is bad (clear coat issue) but for a 10yr old car, can't complain with it's condition.

My son is itching for some white wheels, I'm pushing him to black which my daughter likes. I could throw some Orange Sparco's on there and a white racing strip for an Irish flare (my wife's heritage is part Irish/Scottish).

#5 ·
[welcome] to FF [ffrocks]

I am also in Colorado Springs, look me up if you ever need any help with your ride!

Most likely culprit for vibrations will be the passenger side motor mount. You might also want to replace the strut mounts and endlinks as well since these parts often fail.

#9 ·
3- Are there replacement polyurethane bushings for the shifter? I already plan to swap the rear torque mount, read up on that. Not sure I want to put money into a short throw shifter yet (my kids will not have an STS before I have one in my Subaru :D), but the shifter is a bit sloppy. I have a 5MT in my '06 Suby Outback and replacement bushings abound for that car.

I do plan to add an FSwerks front stress bar and am still debating whether the Massive or FSwerks rear is the better choice. Down the road, will install the M-300-ZX3A SVT assembled suspension, some black Sparco Asseta Garo 16" wheels, a larger rear sway bar, do a light tint on the windows and a cold air intake. Maybe a cat back - but that's all Dad will pay for. That'll leave the car with a taught suspension, looking good and running great. Kids can fund the rest.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8335/8150566553_3de7f93647_c.jpg
The rear engine/transmission mount is known around here as the dog bone mount, that will be your best bet for tightening up shifts. Many companies sell a version that use stiffer polly bushings.

As for the front stress/strut bar, I'd move that to lower on you list.. It makes very little difference to daily driving, our front strut towers are tied in nicely to the firewall and dont have too much movement. Leave that for down the road, same for the rear stress bar (although that one is slightly more beneficial.) Best gainers in real handling help will be new struts/shocks and stiffer springs , and what you linked to will be a great $/performance gainer (especially sicne the stock suspension has 80k+ miles on it.) Getting those Sparco wheels and some sticky rubber will also be a great addition. I'd also double check to see if your model came with a rear sway bar, crazy as it sounds some models didnt include one.

#10 ·
CFM 'dog bone' is on the list.

My Subaru is a manual tranny as well, so when I drive the Focus, the slop in the stick is appalling. You can find polyurethane bushings for every pivot point on the Subi 5MT, does the replace,ends not exist for the focus?

Tracking the dog bone will help firm up the driveline making shifts better (Subi has the same thing, just higher up called a pitch stop), but it won't do away with the sloppiness in the shifter.

#11 ·
from what research ive done the stock ends on the focus are not normal bushing type like most shifters its a plastic coupler on a plastic pivot ball and it just snaps on and looks like almost no dealers will get just the cable ends you have to get the whole cable (what i was told)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.