Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Switchblade Keyfob Cutting

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Incognito27 
#1 ·
Got yourself a newbie here, just got my 2002 ZTS a few days ago and decided I wanted to try to get a switchblade keyfob. I purchased it and it came today and I put all of the pieces together including taking the transponder chip out of one of my secondary keys.

The big problem I am having here is that I cannot find a place that will cut the key for me? Walmart will only cut their own keys. Ace Hardware (idk if thats just an illinois place) has had trouble with them in the past and won't do it and autozone doesn't cut keys. Home Depot said they would do it, but they don't know if they would ruin the key. Should I try Menards or start looking for just individual locksmiths?

Thanks!

#2 ·
i would try an individual locksmith:) i bet they are good at what they do and what they do is cut keys! there is a locksmith near me and he has done good work. only downside is you pay a premium for his skills. as a last resort try a ford dealership.

#3 ·
Most places won't cut car keys because of the chip and if they mess up they don't want to pay for a new transponder key. That's my guess anyway. After going around to various hardware stores, finally I went to the Ford dealer and they cut if for free; [woot] but that depends on the individual dealership.

#4 ·
Thanks guys! I think I will call the dealership and ask if they do it. They funny thing is that I actually broke the glass cyclinder holding the transponder chip in my key and just put the chip in the aftermarket key fob. So even if they cut the key, they wouldn't be cutting anything that had a chip in it.

#6 ·
look at the top of ur key. ull see like a lil "door" u can pry open and thats where the chip is.

what key did u get? i got one as well but, im not positve the one i have actually has a chip in it or not. i thought it did and went to try an program it but it didnt work. got it programed to unlock and lock the doors but, not start the car.

#7 ·
I got mine off of ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Folding...Shell-Upgrade-Ford-Focus-Mondeo-/251122178725

This is just the shell because you have to take the remote apart and put in your circuit from another key fob. I just fit the transponder in wherever it would work. I know that the transponder works because I can put the non-transponder key in with the key fob next to it and it will start the car.

Now I just need someone to cut my key on the fob.

#9 ·
I had that exact key and it worked perfect until 1 day I hit the switch to flip it out and it got caught on something and bent.

I had to have both my keys to get it to program .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.