Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Steering Wheel Controls + Aux Input??

13K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Davis4ever 
#1 ·
I was wondering how can i connect my iPhone to my focus stock radio 6000CD
also is their any way i can add controls to my steering wheel or is there a replacement steering wheel i can buy that has the controls ??

#4 ·
I had to buy an adapter for my Sirius sportster to use with my radio that uses the Aux input. So I'm sure that adapter might work with the I Phone also . But to be on the safe side you may want to ask a radio installer in your area before you buy 1.

http://www.bizrate.com/car-accessories/1274258939.html

#12 · (Edited)
This is what I had before doing a DVD player ,

And then this is what connections I had on it to use .
Connection on the right is for the Factory harness and the small connection in the middle is what I had as Auxillary, and the round connection is for the antenae

#10 ·
Idk about the stock head unit but you buy an after market head unit to use your iPod and there is an adapter that plugs into the aftermarket one that gives you the ability to use your steering wheel controls.

#11 ·
Honestly I did not like the stock radio and steering wheel controls in my svt at all. I recently pulled out the OEM system and installed a Sony Xplod deck which I absolutely love! I also think it looks more sleek. I picked up the Deck, the dash kit and the harness from best buy and it only cost just under $100 with a 2 year warranty.

Here is a pic I took after the install.

image hosting

#13 ·
Installing AUX Input AND IPOD Interface

So I have a 2007 Ford Focus 4 door. Stock radio with buttons for satellite radio. I went to http://www.installer.com/ and installed:
* USASPEC PATFORD1
--- DISPLAYS TEXT, ARTIST, PLAYLIST, ALBUM and SONG TITLE INFORMATION
--- Charges your ipod
--- hide the ipod in your glove box, control it from your stock head
--- provides a aux input in addition to the ipod interface
* IS335 Isimple dash panel mount audio input kit
--- Drill a small hole in the stock radio bezel
--- female connector slides into the hole and the attached cable connects to the aux input jack on the PATFORD1

The result is the radio looks completely stock except for the AUX input jack.

#14 ·
Installing an AUX Input - Option 2

This method works with just about any radio, any car:

First create an aux input to your radio:

This is an "IN-LINE" fm transmitter, meaning your radio antenna plugs into it, and then it plugs into your radio. The sound quality is as good as a strong FM radio signal. It does not interfere with your FM reception, it just "adds" a new station. The frequency of the new station has two options. I got mine from www.installer.com

Second, make that Aux input a dash mounted 3.5 MM stereo jack. Use an IS335 Isimple aux input dash panel kit:

The FM Transmitter provides you RCA input jacks. This accessory lets you convert those RCA jacks to a dash mounted 3.5mm stereo jack. Just requires drilling one small hole for the jack. I got this from www.installer.com

At this point you have an aux input, but you want to connect up that IPOD. Just add a Monster Cable Ultra-Low Profile iPod iCharger (AICHG2 IP)

* Add a 12volt cigarette lighter socket that is powered only when your radio is powered.
* Plug this charger into the above socket
* This charger provides a true "Line Out" that you connect to the Isimple Aux Input you installed above.
* What's neat about this charger is not only does it charge the iPod and provide a line out for the aux input, but when you turn off the ignition the radio and the iCharger loses power, the iCharger signals the iPod to go to pause. You go into the store, come back out, start the car and then press the play on the iPod. The iPod picks up right where you left off. I got this from Amazon.

And no, I do not work for www.installer.com, just a very satisfied customer. I have used them for 4 different installs and never been steered wrong.

#15 ·
Sony

If you want an idea of what is out there for 3rd party steering wheel remotes, put this into a google image search:

sony car steering wheel remote control

Sony has been making these for years, so if you follow the advice above and go for a Sony deck, make sure its compatible with a control unit and pick one up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.