Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Do you like the idea and would you buy it?

• Like it and would buy it

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Like it but wouldn't pay for it

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Don't like it

Votes: 10 37.0%

Inexpensive rocker flares. I like em what do you think?

10K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  GrndZero 
#1 ·
Had an idea today at work- [idea]
I hate how 5 door SVT's don't have side skirts and the front black lip is really on its own so to speak. Also the pinch weld under the stock rocker arms are eye sores.
This is just a pro to-type that I did today at work quickly. The paint is flat black but the finished part will be extruded in a matte black and should match the front lip better in color. The material is very flexible so you need to be extra careful when applying it or it will look warped or wavy. Its not a high end ground effect but I think it really looks good and makes the car seem lower.
It has very good 3M tape holding it on and when I get the final pieces done I will also use Pro-Bond adhesive promoter so they aren't comin off.
I'd like it to be a little less angled out and obviously the color will be better once its extruded in black plastic instead of painted with finger prints. We would need to change the mold slightly so its not as angled but in order to do that I need to convince the boss people would buy a kit like this.

What do you guys think? (the car is filthy btw) [popcorn]

See less See more
#2 ·
I think that it is very creative but, it still has that DiY look to it. I like it if more thought was put into it especially being that aftermarket ones do not do our cars justice(besides a select and expensive few). You do know that SVT sideskirts fit on a ZX5 just fine, the problem is finding them, however I see a set of SVT sideskirts come up for sale about once or twice a month in the BST section.

#4 ·
It will def not look expensive but neither does the stock front lip.

I just bought a set of SVT side skirts today in fact from a member here. But I need to get them painted. Actually I think I like the black look better though so maybe the SVT skirts will go on my sedan.

#3 ·
Also if you do like the idea of an inexpensive rocker flare what would you pay for it? Keep in mind it would come with the 3M tape already on it and the Pro-Bond promoter in a packet along with alcohol pads to clean the surface. You would need to trim the ends to fit your car. It can be cut with heavy duty side cutters.

I'm going to a local car show tomorrow and will get some opinions there to. This could potentially work any car that has a flat bottom at least 1" thick.

#11 ·
Surprised only a couple votes? Went to a car show this past Saturday and most people I talked to said it looked good and matched the front lip. Obvioisly not high quality like a 3DCarbon but for $50 or so its cool.

My tint is 50% front windshield, 50% driver/pass, 35% rear doors, 20% very back windows. Love the front windshield tinted makes the legal front doors look darker.

#16 ·
I like it, but to be honest if I did it I would position the rubber differently.

You've got it right on the edge so it flares out and draws attention to itself. I'd position it farther underneath so it didn't throw off the visual line of the car. Same effect, more subtle result.

#18 ·
i like it, but to be honest if i did it i would position the rubber differently.

You've got it right on the edge so it flares out and draws attention to itself. I'd position it farther underneath so it didn't throw off the visual line of the car. Same effect, more subtle result.

betta

#21 ·
I have an SVTF with the SVT side skirts, and personally I've been wanting something like this since I got my Focus. I really don't like the "plain" look of the SVT skirts, but I love the idea of wrapping the same black trim that's on the front bumper down the sides. It's much more attractive in my opinion to continue that trim all the way around the car, not just stop it at the front wheels. This look would be a much better option than most of the garbage ricer-looking aftermarket body kits that are out there now.

I agree with most though, If it has the same color and texture as the current black trim, I'm all over this kit (and relax, I know the photos are just a prototype and a working model. But it definitely gets the idea across).

#23 ·
I am all for DIY if...if it works well and does not look DIY. That's me.

As you may have guessed, I am not a fan of this DIY attempt at sideskirts. Nothing personal.

My thought though is sometimes the apple does not fall far from the tree. What I am talking about is pictured below. Those are early ZX3 sideskirts. They have similar grain finish to the front air dam and look like they belong and not some strip of plastic. A trip to a junkyard or two and a set can be yours. $50 sounds about right. Being used and old, you may want to hit them with some black bumper spray paint. Also, the owner of this Focus completed the black lower treatment with finishing the rear bumper's lower half black. Not sure if that is paint or the infamous plasti dip.

Food for thought:

#35 ·
Your Foci looks great ah1f39. I love the Roush skirts, I just don't dig the Roush price. I went w/ the wingswest skirt's, since I couldn't find a desent set of svt ones.

#34 ·
The stock black ZX3 skirts really only look good if you have your car lowered. I was thinking about getting them, but until I drop the focus down a bit, there is just going to be way too much ground clearance. That's why I like the idea of something that gets added below any stock skirts. Gives you a low ground clearance while still keeping a relatively stock look.

#44 ·
I was thinking of doing something similar. The only side skirts that I have ever really wanted was EGR side skirts and I found it almost impossible to get them over here from the EU. They are not even that expensive but all the places that would ship them over cheaply never carry them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.