Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How To: EASILY remove Nite Shades

40K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Pist0n 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I ended up Nite Shading my tails and they turned out a bit too dark for my liking. I had applied a few layers of clear over them as well, so I am dealing with multiple layers here. After going over, under, and around the intarwebs, I had decided the first route to take was to buy some plastic safe graffiti remover.

I bought Goof Off (not Goo Gone) and Motsenbocker's Lift Off - They definitely make the clear turn gooey, but it still seemed like too much of a chore. Mind you, I was impatient - so I only spent about 5 minutes with the sprays, lol. But I decided it would be more hassle than I cared for and I REFUSED TO SAND!!

So then .... I grabbed a new rag and a good ol' fashioned can of lawn mower gas. I laid the tail light down and poured the gas over an area and then on the rag and just laid into it a bit ... rubbing with a bit of pressure, nothing ridiculous, and it just came right off. I had the tail light back to it's original state, clear lense, not melted - in a matter of minutes. I'll be damned.

So there you have it. Screw buying anything.

DO NOT USE: Goof Off, Laquer thinner, graffiti remover, oven cleaner, alcohol (accept maybe at the end to do a final clean and remove residue), sand paper << that's just dumb.

DO USE: Gas and a rag.

Stay tuned for pics and/or video. Still have another light to strip.

See less See more
Reactions: @Focus
#5 ·
The acetone didn't effect the plastic lens? I hear people mention acetone, but any experience I have had with that + plastic has = disaster.

Here's my cheesey phone vid, showing how easily it comes off and the end result.

#9 ·
not sure how effective it would be on something that has been sprayed and such at a body shop. I know that it will take rattle can / spray paint off plastic of any kind...so not just Nite Shades from tails, but getting spray paint off battery covers, coil covers, dash pieces, etc.

#14 ·
Interesting ... I had sprayed Rustoleum Clear Coat on those - a few coats. You can try to acetone idea mentioned above and see how that works out. I would be careful of the lens though and maybe try a small area first.

Other than that, I tried graffiti remover and goof off - as mentioned in other threads - and the results were poop. Other than that, I guess sanding would be my last result just because it's a lot of work and you would have to work through multiple grits to get them smoothed out again.

I have also read of soaking plastic bits in either simple green or PineSol and that supposedly works. Let them soak for some 12 hours.

#18 ·
a couple weeks ago i actually used 99% rubbing alcohol and paper towels. Only took about 15min per tail light to remove the night shade. Had to respray them because i was in a hurry the first time and it ended up leaving dark spots and one tail light was darker than the other. Now they're perfect!

#23 ·
acetone should be fine... i use it at work and have only melted thin plastice over time (cups and what not) i was spraying my emblems black and used acetone and they were fine... as long as you wipe it off you'll prob be fine... also you could try denatured alcohol... little nicer that acetone...

but if gas works, go for it, i hate sanding!!

#26 · (Edited)
Read this online. --- "In an effort to fight misinformation around the web regarding how to remove VHT Nightshades, I made this guide as a resource for those who want to do it right. I traded some 04/05 tails I had that weren't in the best shape for this pair that were tinted to hell, but I knew with some elbowgrease I could make these right.

What you will need:

1. Brake Fluid
2. A shop rag
3. Rubbing Compound
4. Patience

This is a warning: If you use acetone, nail polish remover, paint remover, or aircraft paint stripper, this can damage the tail light, creating pockmarks as it eats away at the plastic.

Step One: Remove tail lights as brake fluid will damage your paint.

Step Two: Douse your shop rag in brake fluid and start rubbin it out.

Almost immediately you will start seeing results after 5-10 minutes. Total cleaning time is about 20-30 min"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.