Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Air horns installed. Pictures and tips.

21K views 61 replies 23 participants last post by  PHOTONINA84 
#1 ·
Air horns installed. Pictures, Sounds and tips.

Well, I finally did it. I installed Italian air horns in my Focus.
I've already done this on my other car and really liked the sound so I knew it was just a matter of time until I put them in the Focus. I got them at Harbor Frieght Tools locally but they are also available at their website for the same price,$18.99. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=30980
The picture online shows a different set but I think they're the same item. They went in my old Z24 fairly easy but there was much more room in the nose area. The Focus on the other hand has a sloped front which limits the space and choices of where to put them. I finally settled on the open area before the right front wheel.
The first pic shows the contents of the horn kit.

Note: There is no wiring included, but a relay is.

#52 ·
the focus wagons are ok...........i just don't get those subarus............[???:)] why would anybody want one........and then think they were better for it?

the advance trac is awesome though, its like on the vw commercial..."did ya fell that?" "no, what?" you don't always notice its there, except when the light on the dash tells you its kicked in. i love it, recommend it to anyone.....only problem is it is harder to peel out.
[thumb] so here's your tip to those that have it: hit the button near the e-brake and deactivate it (momentarily). then let 'er rip!!!! if you have an at like me, hold the brake with your left foot until you hit about 2500-3000 rpm. Try a few times, you'll like it.

officially, i do not condone this activity..... i will not pay your tickets, i will not pay for new tires, and i will not fix your tranny if you bust it and warranty won't cover it......
[confused] and watch out for the blue and reds[confused]

carry on, in your foci of all shapes and sizes, hatchs, sedans and wagons..........[8D]

#53 ·
Folkus said:
So what's the summing effect if they're at diff freq's?
I'm not exactly sure but... I want to say plot the waves on a graph with the y axis being amplitude (which is amount of energy/intensity [dB] in the wave) and the x axis being frequency. Then this is where I fell asleep in physics class...I thin you've gotta see where they constructively and destructively intefere wtih each other (look at the crests and troughs and see where one is going down with the other going up [destructive] or where they are both going up [consturctive]), there is some math to it too, subtracting and adding amplitudes I believe. I can't exactly remember though, I like old fashioned electricity better, waves suck. Maybe someone else can correct me.

- Scott

#57 ·
I installed these horns...

Stebel Nautilus. One piece, dual tone, compact, integrated air horns

Technical specifications:
Sound Output: 139 dB
Operating Voltage: 12 Volts
Absorbed Current: less than 18A
Fundamental Frequency: 530 Hz & 680 Hz
Weight: 0.6 kg (1.3 lbs)
Dimensions: 5.9" (150mm) x 4.4" (112mm) x 3.7" (95 mm)
Reaction time: less than 90 milli-seconds

I placed them near the factory location and they respond better than the traditional air horn because there is no tube (well, it isn't visible, at least) and I can tap the horn and have them sound as opposed to having to wait for the air pressure to build.

And they are way loud.. 139db!
Go here to hear: http://www.bikerhiway.com/images/nautilushorn.mp3

I love em!

#58 ·
Hi all,
Just wanted to give and update and respond to comments regarding reports of the possible limited life of the Fiamm compressor.

I'm happy to say that they're still going strong in both cars after over 2 years with no noticeable reduction in loudness. I don't own the Chevy anymore but I know for a fact they're still working fine. I sold it to a neighbor's friend and he honks them whenever he comes by.

#59 ·
A thread with horns and horn modification and no one has installed Dixie/Dukes of Hazzard horns? I'm shocked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.