Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Michigan people

12M views 125K replies 538 participants last post by  Chas 
#1 ·
lookin for those who live in the Michigan area

#124,221 ·
I don't really want a tune because I like the cars handling as is, mostly. What I'd be most concerned about with a tune is destroying fuel economy. I already have one car that eats gas, I need this one to stay at around 23-25 MPG in "around town" driving (I currently get about 24 MPG). I have the upgraded "stock" RMM (I assume this is what you mean by dog bone mount) and I'm happy with that. The intake is a green filter as well. Thought about a blow off valve once, but I want a more "subdued" car, nothing too loud or crazy. Just not boring anymore.

For the tint, I've been talking to my buddies. I'm trying to get an SUV like tint on the rear windows (door and quarter) and on the hatch. I don't want to impede visibility out the rear hatch more than your typical SUV. Based on what I've seen, you can look "thru" an SUV back window and then thru the windshield and still read street signs. But from the side you can't see much.

I think that the SUV's have 35 or 20 on the sides, but I struggle to think that the rear glass is that dark, maybe 50? Unless 35 lets in more light than I think. Co-worker is getting his Fusion tinted tomorrow, on Monday I'll compare it to one of the stock M-Plate Explorers we have at the office to get an idea if his rear window is darker.

Technically in Michigan tint on the front is not legal, I know people who get away with 35 or even 20, but I'm not really interested in it for the privacy, more the UV protection which I think I can get with 70 and still have it be nearly clear. It looks like the stock Focus ST glass is at most 90 from the factory. It's labeled AS2 which means it can be anywhere from 70 to 100. My Corvette on the other hand has some tint (I can see the ovals from light refracting when the window is looked at from certain angles). I think it has 70 all around except for the roof (which is 20 or maybe even 5). If it's less than 70 I'd like to get that one 70 as well. What I really need is a tint meter.

So yea, a lot to think about.

You can get same mileage with a tune. If your on Facebook message Russell culver. He can give you an insite better on this. He can probably tune it to get more power and same or better mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#124,222 ·
You're gas mileage with a tune and exhaust shouldn't decrease as long as you're not on it all the time. A friend of mine that drives very conservative was seeing 27-29 out of his with one of the Cobb tunes

A bov will give you the cool kid scene points..take that how you will lol

Factory tint is around 23% Doesn't vary too much between makes and models. It's also the same shade over all back windows. I would say this or 35ish is going to give you what you're looking for. I was a manager at mickey shorr so these are the percentages they use. Again, not going to vary much going from there to car tunes or any other shop you choose. I'd refer you to a very good friend of mine but he's across the state lol if you're wanting to get real picky about it, look into what brands different shops use. The film itself will have different hues between brands. Some will be green, others blue. It's super subtle and most people can't even tell..but I'm picky and I can. I personally have viper film which is a charcoal base so it eliminates that hue. It also has a lifetime warranty against fading so it won't turn purple over time like most films do

#124,224 ·
I dunno, I drive pretty aggressive. If I have power, I use it (I'm one of those people who takes off like hell from every light). My friends call me a hyper-aggressive driver.

If I got a tune, I'd be lucky to see 20 MPG. If I do a whole tank of all city driving right now I get about 21 MPG in the winter and 22 MPG in the summer. On the highway I struggle to see 28 MPG because I'm typically going 80-85 MPH.

Tunes would exacerbate these issues.

#124,225 ·
I dunno, I drive pretty aggressive. If I have power, I use it (I'm one of those people who takes off like hell from every light). My friends call me a hyper-aggressive driver.

If I got a tune, I'd be lucky to see 20 MPG. If I do a whole tank of all city driving right now I get about 21 MPG in the winter and 22 MPG in the summer. On the highway I struggle to see 28 MPG because I'm typically going 80-85 MPH.

Tunes would exacerbate these issues.

Not really. My average is 26.6 on current tracking. I'll be tuning it in the summer and the mileage won't go down at all.

My highway driving is 80-85 some spurts higher and I can see 30+ highway.

Just get a tune[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

#124,227 ·
I just swapped out the OEM filter for a K&N and it makes such a difference. When I bought my focus it already had K&N so I never really got to experience the difference. I really didn't think I'd notice. I bought an intake kit awhile ago and never installed. Going to sell the kit this spring, just don't want any noise. I'm an old man at heart now it seems. Point is, even just K&N and a tune makes a big difference (I have a tune), and you're not even physically modifying the car at that point or making it any louder. Also, both tunes in both cars increased MPG.

#124,229 ·
I just swapped out the OEM filter for a K&N and it makes such a difference. When I bought my focus it already had K&N so I never really got to experience the difference. I really didn't think I'd notice. I bought an intake kit awhile ago and never installed. Going to sell the kit this spring, just don't want any noise. I'm an old man at heart now it seems. Point is, even just K&N and a tune makes a big difference (I have a tune), and you're not even physically modifying the car at that point or making it any louder. Also, both tunes in both cars increased MPG.

But you keep the damn cruise on which is grandpa tune lol.

#124,237 ·
This weather is nice. Got my brakes on this weekend, after they had issues last week (I posted over in the ST section a thread, see for details).

I did use that opportunity to put away the winters and go back to the all-seasons.

Lol. Mine are chilling behind my gate waiting. I have the summers that didn't cost 60 bucks more lol.

I'll wait a few weeks or more to put them on. Not driving those up to the cottage in cold weather lol. They suck in the slush or any snow.

#124,239 ·
I'm debating on throwing mine back on, the snow setup doesn't have TPMS on them

I thought mine didn't but they must. Tpms light is off and doesn't come back on when we go up north

But I want the summers back on because I'm over this winter. Ready for warmth after this tease

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.