Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Replacing Airbags?

17K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  chadgu 
#1 ·
Hi I was wondering if someone could tell me a little about replacing airbags on a 2000 Ford Focus LX, I bought 2 undeployed airbags, installed them in my car and sent out my airbag computer module to be reset. It turns out the module is broken and I have been searching for a new one for sale, along the way someone told me the bags and the module have to match in order for the bags to work and the light to turn off. Is this true, I feel like he was just trying to sell the package to me, even though I don't need the airbags. Also does anyone know where to find an airbag computer module reasonably priced, besides ebay, will it work if I plug it into the car with different airbags vins? Is there any other way to turn off the pesky airbag lights, I tried pulling a fuse and it didn't work. Thanks for any help,
-Chad

#4 ·
I have been looking at a couple of junkyards and that is where I ran into the guy trying to sell me the airbags with the module and he told me they need to match, it is the first I had heard of it. I'll keep on looking around for a module. Thanks for your help.
-Chad

#8 ·
I am in the same pickle that you are in. I have an 05 focus and changed the airbag and computer module. They were purchased seperatly, it doesn't matter. At least service didn't think anything about it. Then I took it in to get the system reset ($160) but I need many new things. The front wiring harness becasue the sensor was stripped off two wires. New seatbelt deals. I already spent $500 on the drivers side airbag and $180 on the computer module and $30 on the sensor and $350 becasue Ford couldnt figure out what was wrong with the car. Now they want $2,200 dollars to fix the problem. So I drive with that pesky blinking light anyway. I am never going to deal with a car with an airbag problem again. I keep you updated on how I fix it.

#9 ·
Hi everyone,
Well, this is the info I found out, I called the dealership and they told me that it doesn't matter if the airbags and module match. I asked them if they could get me a module and they told me they could for $150. I told them to order it and they told me it will be in tomorrow, so I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that everything works out alright, at anyrate, I hope I know by tomorrow. I'll keep everyone updated as to what happens tomorrow, if I can get that light to go off.

Kmadison - I was wondering if you had installed the bags and module yourself, or if the dealership had done it. They quoted me at $700 an airbag and $250 labor for each bag, and then another $170 to reset my module. I just figured I would try it myself first and see what happens. As far as I know I retrieved the correct parts and installed everything correctly, I guess I'll see what happens when I try to put it in tomorrow, providing the dealership gets the parts in on time.
- where is the front wiring harness located, on the airbag itself or somewhere else? Is the airbag module you bought new, or had it been deployed? And what exactly is the problem that the dealership says needs fixed, did they tell you exactly what it is? Good luck to you.
-Chad

Oh yeah, the dealership said the airbags must match the correct model of car, but more importantly the airbag module must come from a car or suit a car made for the same number of airbags.
Example - my car has passenger and driver side airbags, it doesn't have side airbags, they told me that this makes a difference - I can't put a airbag module that was made to sense drivers, passenger, and side airbags into my car, I can only put one in that senses the driverside and passenger side airbags.

I also know of a company that will reset your airbag computer module for $150, its on the web and called 489 parts, unfortunetly I sent them a check and they cashed it, but when I recieved my module back they wrote on it that it was an internal problem that they could not repair - they took my money - I called them yesterday and they told me they would refund my money - we'll see what happens hopefully they will. They seemed like a legitimate business to me.

#10 ·
We did some for my sister's Sunfire a few years ago. Just plugged them in and it was all set.

That hassle sucks.

#11 ·
Success!!!
I replaced the driver's and passenger's side airbags in my focus, I bought a module from the dealer and plugged and screwed everything in and then started the car up and the airbag light went off! So far so good.

Total price was $458.00
Airbags - $300.00 off ebay
Module - $158.00 from the dealership

The dealership quoted me at about $700 per airbag and $150 for the module, and about $500 of labor. Needless to say, I'm happy it all worked out.

A big thankyou to everyone who gave me advise, it was all very useful,

1 repair done, 2 more to go, as far as I can tell!

Thanks,
-Chad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.