Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2006 focus erratic fuel gage

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  penguin 
#1 ·
I just bought a new 2006 ford focus , I had it two weeks and it had 600 miles on it when the fuel gage light came on went to empty ( the gas tank was full ) it did this 3 times and the check engine light came on. I took it in to the dealer and instead of replaceing the fuel sender unit they said " they was a sulfur build up on the fuel level sensor. " The fix was to drain the fuel and refill with techron plus additive and that I should try several tanks of a different brand of fuel. Has anyone had this problem and had this work for fixing a erratic fuel gage ?

#2 ·
It's a possible explanation, but NOT for a new car with 600 miles on it. They probably should have replaced the pump/sender unit, but since you've got a 36,000 mile/3 year warranty, and it isn't something that will strand you, I wouldn't worry about it. If it comes back again, insist they replace it. If they refuse, call the Ford 800 number to complain.

Most likely explanation is that the fuel sender had some sort of contamination or protective coating on it when it was installed. Unless you have some really, really, really bad gasoline, it isn't going to cause a fuel sender problem in 600 miles, perhaps in 6,000 miles, but not 600.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.