Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Idle problem with Vid inside

11K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  lildisco 
#1 · (Edited)
I cannot figure out this Idle problem. I'm leaning towards the TPS (Throttle Posistion Sensor) because it's the only thing i haven't replaced as of yet. I have no Vaccum Leaks either. It does it really bad when the battery is reset, but has never really fully idled right. The dealer told me i'm crazy and that it's supposed to do that. Anyways here's the vid and another one of me messing around showing off my new Bumper [:D]

Clicky Clicky For the Idle Problem

Clicky Clicky For me showing off

You'll need Quicktime [thumb] Videos are about 5 Meg apiece

Sorry for the Quality, it was the only way to get the Vids this long.

My mods include:

SVT Snorkle, AEM Short ram, FS UDP, 2000 Intake Mani, Bosal Flex, Magnaflow Cat-Back

#2 ·
OK.. is the problem because the idle hangs up (doesn't go down quickly enough)? OR when after a few seconds, it idles down, is it idling down too far?

I'm about to write you off as being more picky than I am [:p]

#3 ·
If you Actually listen all the way through the first video, it takes a good 15 Seconds for it to get completly back down to idle....I'm semi picky but man that's too long. I can actually time how long it takes to get back down to where it's supposed to be. I know my buddies Focus doesn't do it that bad so i don't know what to do.

Edit: Takes about 12 - 14 seconds to get back down to idle after reving.

#4 ·
lildisco said:
Edit: Takes about 12 - 14 seconds to get back down to idle after reving.
Close enough to 15 for me.

Most TPS problems cause the car to stall at stoplights, and have choppy sluggish acceleration. Have you tried looking for more simple causes like revving the motor from under the hood and checking the cable action on the throttle body to see if perhaps the cable is holding the throttle plate back a tad. It won't hurt to put your finger on it while the idle is up, the TB spring should be strong enough to return the cable even if your finger is on the exposed part of the cable. I doubt you'd be able to see any movement.

#5 ·
Cable is fine and goes back like it should....checked that anything else.

#7 ·
That is taking way too long to return to idle after revving. My '02 will take maybe a couple of seconds to return to normal idle after revving. I understand that all cars are a little different but yours seems to be very hesistant to come back down.

#8 ·
I also noticed that today that when i'm going down the road and shifting the RPMs shoot up. I wish i knew what RPM but i don't have a tach [8] Seems to be around 3,000 or so. Sucks really bad going from 1st to 2nd because the sky rocket.

I'm leaning more towards a TPS...............

#9 ·
BUMP

#10 ·
night BUMP

#11 ·
K now I see what you mean, lildisco. Pretty much the same problem with mine, except mine is intermittently like that. Sometimes, the idle is rock solid, other times, it does exactly what your car does. P1506 shows up upon OBDII scan.

Thinking TPS. Mine is 2000 SPI absolutely stock.

#12 · (Edited)
I changed my TPS yesterday and the idle comes down a lot faster. and when i baby shift, meaning barely hit the gas to shift, it's fine. But if i do normal or spirited driving, the RPMs shoot up to a guesstimated 4 grand. And the come down once i've sat at a stop for about 10 seconds. On my way home i got a P0122 Code. The TPS Voltage Low. Maybe i got a Faulty TPS [8]

EDIT:

I'm also leaning it to be towards the Idle Air Control Valve. Seeing how it's the only thing i haven't replaced that's in relation that kinda controls the idle. Is there a way to check those or replace those. I've done some searching through Napa and Advanced Auto and they're both around $85 for a new IACV. I'm going to e-mail focus salvage to see if they have any slightly used that could help.

#14 ·
I took it to a friend of mine who owns his own shop and he put it up on his computer. He says the car thinks its under 15% load at idle. This was with the orginal TPS and the New TPS plugged in and unplugged. So I don't believe it's the TPS. Either way the car is parked because i don't want my clutch to take a walloping.I have a new IACV comming Tuesday and i will see how that goes and will keep you guys updated.

#16 ·
still shows it's under 15% load wether the TPS is plugged in or not. That's why i'm changing the IACV

#17 ·
When I had this problem it was a hole in a hose that was imperceptible when the engine was off. There is a hose that runs from the IAC to the back of the intake manifold. There was a hole in the elbow that was only noticeable when the car was running. Idle the car and stick your head down in the engine bay, listen for a hissing noise, then chase it down with your fingers. If there is one, it will suck your finger into the hose and freak you out, but that will find it.

Doesn't sound like TPS to me. If the TPS is reading wrong it will tell the ECU to provide more or less fuel than the engine needs, in either case causing the engine to run rough at idle, not hang. Pretty much only a vacuum leak causes the engine to hang.

#18 ·
I sprayed TB Cleaner all around the engine bay and over all the vaccum lines and still no luck, i understand that everyone thinks that it's a vac leak but i don't know where it could be, i mean i searched and sprayed all over the place for this damn thing.

#20 ·
The sensor is located underneath the Throttle Body in-between the Intake Maninfold and the Engine Block.

In the Pic below in my other post, you can't see the IACV, but it's right under the Throttle Body on the center runner on the intake Manifold. Basically on the exact other side of the intake mani shown in the picture. The Part looks like this:

with the sensor plug facing the drivers side.

#21 ·
Here's the Intake Manifold Pic:

Attachments

#23 ·
Either way, something is not acting right. Hopefully with the IACV will fix that. If not i'm just about ready to throw the damn thing at a mechanic and say fix it.

#24 ·
you did plug in all your vac lines, right? lol.

i still don't have a clue, but if you need some help putting anything else on let me know.
oh and how's the fogs working?

#25 ·
Fogs are the only that's working like they should [thumb]

I've checked and re-checked my VAC lines and plugged and unplugged sensors and reset the ECU......i'm a wits end i tell ya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.