Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fixed the coolant leak today, pics

101K views 77 replies 64 participants last post by  adam777 
#1 ·
Fixed my leak with new o-ring from Mc Master

begining the fix

coolant that was dripping onto the ground before fix

picture of tranny soaked with coolant because of leak

old o-ring that came out with the plug, see how its all worn out and has a square shape to it?

This is the new Mc Master Viton o-ring i ordered #203 installed on the plug

After installing the plug back with the new o-ring, the leak was over! This o-ring will take alot of persausion to get in but it will withstand the temperatures that the oem wouldn't. I have like 24 more of them, from a pack of 25. Ill part 15 or so of them if anyone needs this o-ring for a leak problem. Just let me know

See less See more
#30 ·
just did my t-stat housing last weekend. i was given an estimate of $250. decided to do it my self. bought the housing, t-stat and the t-stat o-ring. took about an hour. i didn't need the t-stat, the original was in perfect condition and the o-ring was also, so just buy the housing. i used alittle silicone on the housing where it meets the block incase it cracked agian.

#34 ·
my 2000 ZX3 is bleeding coolant and the thermostat housing is drenched. how can I determine what the cause of the leak is?
If it's coming from the housing, it is probably a cracked housing or bad gasket.

[/QUOTE]
does the 2000 ZX3 have this plug?
what replacement parts should i have on-hand if i am going to attempt a fix?
[/QUOTE]

I don't think it has the plug. but i could be mistaken.

New housing, gasket and thermostat (Hoses to, depending on how bad yours are degraded). Take the housing off and verify it is not cracked. Take care to check the gasket for any abnormalities.

That's how I would start.

#36 ·
i'm now getting a coolant leak on my 2003 Zetec. I changed my battery last week and noticed the coolant was low, so i topped it off. Today I pulled out of the driveway and noticed what looked like a like spot. When I got back home, I popped the hood and sure enough the coolant reservoir was damn near empty after only a week or so.

I got a little confused reading this thread. So only the SVT's have the plug with the O-ring?? What do I need to do to fix the leak on a Zetec? And i'm a total newb to DIY'ing, so saying thermostat housing means nothing to me. lol Any pics of this process on Zetec like JohnMichael provided for the SVT?

Thanks in advance.

#37 ·
I just did this fix today. Remember that there is no such thing as too much o-ring lube.

So for under $20 and an hour of time I saved $550, which is what Bonnell Ford wanted to replace the thermostat housing. This of course wouldn't have fixed the problem.

FYI, I have a 2003 with 80k miles on it.

#41 ·
I just did this fix today. Remember that there is no such thing as too much o-ring lube.

So for under $20 and an hour of time I saved $550, which is what Bonnell Ford wanted to replace the thermostat housing. This of course wouldn't have fixed the problem.

FYI, I have a 2003 with 80k miles on it.
thats what she said.

yeah i went to ford and the "prescribed" a ~$400 for a ~$35(housing) and a~$25 VC gasket fix. i told them ,"give me back my keys dammit!"

#45 ·
I just replaced mine o-ring today, it was pretty simple, and didnt take long.
I bought a 10 pack of Viton O-rings from Mc Master, they are metric, they are 7mm I.D. 13mm O.D. and 3mm width, Ill part with 8 of them, Im going to keep one for a backup.

If anybody would like one let me know.

#46 ·
I too had mine o-rings replaced a month ago. I had HTPerformance mail them to me, and I had the dealership do it for me. The plug was *way* seized so it's a good thing I didn't do it myself. About an hour's work but it's better than spending more for a new thermostat housing.

#50 · (Edited)
Either my plug is leaking, or brake fluid is dripping from above it, running down onto it and onto the floor? My plug appears to be flush with the bottom of the housing, could this be the case? If so, how the heck do you get it out?

Reason for thinking this is, I DO have a leaking clutch master cylinder and am finding fluid on the ground under the center of my car ('04 SVT, 107,000 miles). It feels and smells more like brake fluid than coolant. Looking up under the car, the fluid is running down the passenger side of the bellhousing, starting at a point directly below that darned plug. And the plug appears to be moist, as well. But wouldn't know what would be above the housing that would drip/leak??

Also, regarding the clip that holds the plug in, do you access it from below the car? And which way does it pull (to the front? towards drivers side, etc.?)

Suggestions? Slave cylinder is on the driver side of the housing, correct? And it wouldn't necessarily leak out the front by the plug, would it? I do have a master cylinder on order.

#51 ·
I seem to be having the same two issues as you. Did yours start after and during that really cold spell that we had here in TX? These issues are so annoying. How much is it in labor if I bring the rubber rings to a shop and have them replace it for me?

#52 ·
I have some sort of coolant leak but it doesn't leave a puddle. I checked around the housing and I can't see any visible coolant. I smell it after the car has been driven.

Is it possible that plug/sensor area is leaking and I can't see it? I haven't looked at it from the bottom yet.

Where the tstat housing mates to the block, it's dry. I might reach under the housing when I get home from work and check for any leaks.

#54 ·
I think I have a similar issue. Found a small puddle under the car while in the shop the other day. It was under the car on the front passengers side. Not sure what it was so I took a small taste, lol. Sweet tasting. So I figured yup antifreeze. Noticed the antifreeze was low but wasnt sure about where it could be leaking from. Great info here. Hope this is my problem.
Cheers
Camaron

#55 ·
plug o ring and temp sensor o ring - on SVT

anyone know if the o ring for the sensor (on the top of the housing) is the same size as the plug (on the underside - that has a leakage issue)?

both my plug and sensor have a leak. the Plug large, the sensor only very slight.

#56 ·
Same leak in Ztec engine - what should be changed?

Hi Guys, I found this thread as I am looking for an answer to my son's Ztec engine which is losing coolant. So I am raising it from the big sleep.

I see the wetness around his thermostat housing so know this is the root of the problem. I figured I need to change the pesky o-rings to the better ones, but I see that the plug everyone speaks about is just on the SVT engine.

What then is causing the problem with the Ztec engine if I don't have the o-rings to begin with? Is it just the big o-ring that seals the thermostat/housing? Or is it the housing itself? Thanks for any help.

#57 ·
t stat housing failure

OK, I know this has been to death. My daughter lives away and had her 2001 ZETEC t stat housing replaced several years ago. Now it's leaking again, and looks like it got damaged by oil from a leaky valve cover gasket. I'll be installing a new housing and valve cover gasket next week, but here is the suggestion:

IF the housing o ring is being damaged by oil why not protect it? I'll be making a paper gasket and coating both sides of it with high quality sealant (yamabond) to place between the housing and block. The o ring will still do the water sealing - the gasket and sealer will PROTECT the o-ring.

Any thoughts? I won't know if it "works" for 2-3 years!

#58 · (Edited)
If you think your housing is leaking check the thermostat outlet first (three torx screws on FRONT of housing). Dealer put the last housing on the car and one of the t stat screws was loose - hardly finger tight. I drained the coolant, pulled the big hose, removed the three screws, replaced the stat and stat seal and the leak is fixed. Now I have an extra housing I know I'll need later anyway. I am working with a guy that makes similar parts for motorcycles and I'm trying to talk him into making this part for the ZETEC. My local dealer (fairly small town) sold 200 housings last year. There are days when he sells 1 per day. That's CRAZY.

There are still around 4,000 Ford dealers in US. If each one averages 50 of these per year that's 200,000 housings per year. Nuts. You KNOW they make more than 5 bucks on this so it's at LEAST 1 million in profit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.