Trouble - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 341690
What I Drive: 2000 red zx3

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Squane Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thought it was drum brakes but unsure, struts ? Bearings?
Was driving down road heard a clunk pulled over didn't notice anything started driving again more consistent clunking only in gear moving not stopped I looked again took wheel off and realized that wheel Assembly wobbles as in video

Last edited by Squane; 02-02-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
Focus Hoarder

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 03 XType - 06 SAP ZX4 - 02 Wagon SE

Points 4,189, Level 41
Points: 4,189, Level: 41 Points: 4,189, Level: 41 Points: 4,189, Level: 41
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 62 ArcticMynx Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
i had the issue it was after a mechanic did the bearings on my car and the dufus who did the work did not listen to what i told him to do which was replace the F&$*ing rear axel nut as it was reused once before..

its "rare" the bearings themselves break up to where it wobbles (but it does happen to really BADLY worn bearings) but the axel nut has been known to start backing out also and there has been a TSB on the nut on it backing off and was revised

my car felt weird 2 days later when returning it guess what my left rear wheel and drum did... yeah went rolling down the driveway back onto the main road as my car s rear end hit the ground.

Midas ended up forking out $1,493 in parts for the damage to the entire rear brake assembly the cracked rim 2 brand new rear tires..
the entire left side wheel assembly had to be replaces as they used a pickup to drag the wagon into the bay instead of waiting for a tow truck

-----------------------------------
November 29, 2001 NHTSA Campaign Number: 01I017000
FORD/REAR WHEEL BEARINGS

THE WHEEL BEARINGS COULD PREMATURELY WEAR AND CAUSE A NOTICEABLE NOISE. IF NOT REPAIRED, THIS CONDITION COULD PROGRESS TO THE POINT WHERE THE WHEEL BEGINS TO WOBBLE.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 01I017000
Manufacturer FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Components WHEELS
Potential Number of Units Affected 238,653
-----------------------
October 12, 2000 NHTSA Campaign Number: 00V303000
FORD/REAR WHEEL HUB NUTS
****THIS CONDITION COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.****
NHTSA Campaign Number: 00V303000
Manufacturer FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Components WHEELS
Potential Number of Units Affected 203,700

Summary

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE REAR WHEEL HUB RETAINING NUTS CAN LOOSEN AND ALLOW THE LEFT REAR WHEEL AND BRAKE DRUM ASSEMBLY TO SEPARATE FROM THE VEHICLE.

2003 Jaguar X-Type - 2002 Focus Wagon - 2006 Focus ZX4 SAP

Last edited by ArcticMynx; 02-02-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 6,535, Level 52
Points: 6,535, Level: 52 Points: 6,535, Level: 52 Points: 6,535, Level: 52
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 79%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%
FF Reputation: 56 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
I've reused them more than twice but I ALWAYS carefully watch the torque ramp-up as I tighten the nut. It will tell you if it is not holding by torque falloff. You can feel it too. Even a brand new nut can do that, I've tossed them for it before.

Of course, if wrecking it with an air wrench, well.................what they do.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
Focus Hoarder

Points 4,189, Level 41
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
read above tho please there is an actual RECALL on the focus for that nit that has a special retainer to prevent the backing of it out..

and the wheel nuts on my car only get used twice, im not dicking around with mine, my family, my employees or the other peoples lives on the highway over a $4 wheel nut

ive already had one of the wheels fall off because they reused it.. not playing with my life again

Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Points 6,535, Level 52
Level Up 93% Completed
Forum Activity 79%
Well aware of the recall from years ago. I checked them out when I first got the car. along with all the other issues the first year ones had (torque on balljoint at strut, fuel pump, etc.).

The retainer was held on by a left hand thread (allen IIRC?) bolt that broke if you so much as looked at it cross-eyed.

The recall was over FIRST TIME USE parts, I might inject in there.

You put your life in the TORQUE of the part, your indicator of safety there. ANY part can kill you not properly installed and brand new are some of the worst offenders as they have never been load tested yet. If Ford really felt that way overall then why is everything garbage TTY fasteners now? NOT for safety, more for parts sales. The parts are so weak you cannot even torque them at the final spec, they are too busy twisting in half.

Ford used to say the axle nuts could be used up to 4 times, what changed there? The desire to sell more parts. I have or had Ford service manuals from the '70s-'80s where they wanted you to replace all suspension part fasteners if even so much as backed off at all. More like a liability thing back then. Now they want you to change literally every fastener you remove. That's about bucks plain and simple.

Again, not trying to flame you up, actually thinking you and I could get along quite well.

I just tend to prick brains I guess. My bad there.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #6
Focus Hoarder

Points 4,189, Level 41
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
when you have 20 employees zipping around in cars owned and insured by you and some days you let them borrow the car for personal runarounds you have to make absolutely sure your car is safe.. thats why.. ive seen what manufacturers cheapness does and im scarred from what dodge did many years ago.. then again 7 years ago when my nephews dodge dakota suddenly out of nowhere got a shimmy the front end dropped to the asphalt caught an edge and he rolled the pickup... all because dodge didn't feel it was a safety issue to recall them for bad front ends...

do it right or don't do it at all is now my motto... id rather die then have a family torn apart because of something i did half assed.. and if the owner wants it done half assed i walk away and say find someone else.
-my focus wheel falls off while driving due to neglect of a mechanic
-my F150 wheel falls off due to half assed neglect from another mechanic after my father took it in for a brake job
-my nephews dakota wheel falls off because of manufacturing faults
-my brother in laws 300c blows up 2 engines in 3 years for the worst built engine known

find it funny my sisters car was bought at the same time cost less then the 300 and was handed down to me at 500,000 still running flawless only issue with the car was rear front sway link bushings going bad, 2 02 sensors and small interior issues like vent covers popping off.. oh yeah the battery when it died even when boosted wouldnt let her drive to make sure she wasnt stranded at the side of the road..

Old 02-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 6,539, Level 52
Points: 6,539, Level: 52 Points: 6,539, Level: 52 Points: 6,539, Level: 52
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 51%
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%
FF Reputation: 39 Marde Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMynx View Post
...and the wheel nuts on my car only get used twice, im not dicking around with mine, my family, my employees or the other peoples lives on the highway over a $4 wheel nut

ive already had one of the wheels fall off because they reused it.. not playing with my life again
You seem to be a bit overly dramatic here/elsewhere. Nothing wrong with overly cautious tho. I replaced mine when I started diving into the rear drums back in 2013; the nuts had probably been re-used 4+ times at this time. The cost was about $20 each. I thought I was cautious; and would re-use these new ones 4 times without worry. -Per what I heard was current Ford recommendation.

Your wheel did not vibrate, shake, wobble before falling off? -might not have been a nut re-use problem, -and could have been a damage or proper torque problem instead?

Let us know where to buy these OEM rear hub nuts for $4 please.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:13 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Points 6,535, Level 52
Level Up 93% Completed
Forum Activity 79%
X2, the last nut I bought was $15 and a good while back. Good old Ford pricing.

Money is where you make it yourself and I never let anyone ever touch one of my cars, been that way for 40+ years. Solid reasons for that, some of us don't have to experience the mishaps to see them coming in the future. At least most of them.

ZERO safety issues during all that time, but then I was the safety guy at several manufacturing places I worked at, one more of the many things I've done. I see that stuff coming a mile away and what being a severe pessimist can do for you. It was very helpful with the 140-200 mph drag cars I worked on too. Zero safety issues there too. We did have one wormy guy that refused to follow good safety procedure and tried to kill himself in a crappily thought out 406 inch Monza and almost did it twice. Tried to stop him both times but he wouldn't listen and what they do. 7 billion of them out there, you can't stop them all.............
Old 02-03-2017, 02:06 AM   #9
Focus Hoarder

Points 4,189, Level 41
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
X2, the last nut I bought was $15 and a good while back. Good old Ford pricing.

Money is where you make it yourself and I never let anyone ever touch one of my cars, been that way for 40+ years. Solid reasons for that, some of us don't have to experience the mishaps to see them coming in the future. At least most of them.

ZERO safety issues during all that time, but then I was the safety guy at several manufacturing places I worked at, one more of the many things I've done. I see that stuff coming a mile away and what being a severe pessimist can do for you. It was very helpful with the 140-200 mph drag cars I worked on too. Zero safety issues there too. We did have one wormy guy that refused to follow good safety procedure and tried to kill himself in a crappily thought out 406 inch Monza and almost did it twice. Tried to stop him both times but he wouldn't listen and what they do. 7 billion of them out there, you can't stop them all.............
id rather not see a fellow member in an obituary and im very strong on safety.
Squane mentioned the entire hub was loose and i brought up the issues and what to watch for.. who knows how many times his cars had the bearings done and how many times the nuts been reused.. and if its even one of the revised one..
i cant stop them all but my voice does carry and in the future if anyone finds this thread they will read this aswel as the original poster..

again i feel i have an obligation to list the things so people know and i bite you back because some of the things you say literally sound like your talking out of your rear at times..

again we both have automotive backgrounds we both work on cars i worked at Ford i have no idea where you worked. like everyone (again i repeat) i dont know everything i make mistakes but i want people to have safe cars and unless i know its safe i wont recommend using hardware store parts made from god knows what metal on a cooling systems running coolant designed for one metal and not the other...
i know you really dont care about your cars and thats fine go to home depot and buy a bunch of copper pipe fittings and plaster lead all over it to make bypass pipes and PCV pipe cheaters. i really dont care your welcome to say you can fix it this way or that way but dont bite down when i bring up a safety recall on a vehicle thats currently about to loose a wheel and they are asking for issues... Fords not a bunch of prats as you make them sound they charge for what they do because unlike Chinese junk that you replace every 6 months ive yet to replace any part i bought from ford within 5 years of installation.. hell i get 2-3 years out of fords brakes over the supposed top of the line performance brakes made and if you say slotted rotors are better dont go there it made my cars absolutely horrible and i warped every rotor unless you pay for the proper $2000+ slotted kits.. and yes im hard on brakes but when you rack in 1000-1200km a day you end up getting led foot due to to idiot drivers doing 30 under the limit on the passing lanes..

either way rant done.
and please stop telling people to solder copper plumbing parts to their car....so f$&#ing redneck... i HATE touching cars like that because im the one ending up to rip the junk out and replace it right.. same with cheap junk braided brake cables that weep and swell same with the crap junk braided covered rad pipes as they end up making the pipes hold more heat then if the rubber pipes are out in normal air. if you spend the proper money to buy the proper tested real braded piping and ends then i tip my hat and smile at least its done right and you dont have a ticking time bomb your driving around

Old 02-03-2017, 02:21 AM   #10
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 30,435, Level 100
Points: 30,435, Level: 100 Points: 30,435, Level: 100 Points: 30,435, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 127 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
FWIW - I don't think you understand amc49 at all.

He's hardly the type to use cheap assed 'performance' hoses with braided covers made to LOOK like real Aeromotive type specialized parts. Quality std. items are more to his preference. Definitely not cheap slotted/drilled rotors just for looks.

Metal pipe to replace a plastic piece that regularly breaks? Sure - whatever works well.

Kinda like when I had to replace the unobtanium junk special pipe/hose combo on my old S-10 from water pump to heater. Crap aluminum fitting on it rotted away and the part can't be sourced. BUT it screwed in with regular pipe thread, so a short piece of iron pipe on hand and some decent heater hose/clamps did the job right away - no problems with that for years. All was on hand, not even a parts store trip to repair.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.