CIRCUIT PROBLEM: Headlights, Wipers, Windows, Blower WONT WORK - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63476
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZTS Sedan

Points 472, Level 9
Points: 472, Level: 9 Points: 472, Level: 9 Points: 472, Level: 9
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 Attobot2006 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy CIRCUIT PROBLEM: Headlights, Wipers, Windows, Blower WONT WORK

Hi folks,

I have a 2001 ZTS Sedan, Manual, DOHC of course.

*Car drives fine. But Suddenly my Headlights, Wipers, Windows, Blower, and Rear Back-up lights won't work.

*Parking lights, turnsignals, hazard lights, electric mirrors, cigarette lighter, and radio still work.

After searching the forums here I tried as many remedies as I could find:

*I checked and tested all the fuses under the dash and in the engine compartment.
*I tested all the relays in the engine compartment.
*All relays and fuses work on their own. BUT....

*I still lack power for the following fuse circuits (even though the fuses aren't broken):

Engine Fuse Box:
F1 (electrical)
F2 (fan)
F16 Headlight
F17 Headlight
F26 Highbeam
F27 Highbeam
D1

Interior Fuse Box:
F39 Reverse Backup Lights?
F43
F44
F45 ?
F47 ?
F48 ?
F49 Rear Defrost
F53 Back-up lamps?
F54 ?
F55 Front Wipers
F56 Front Windows
F57 Rear Windows

When I turn on the headlights I can hear the headlight relays clicking on and off, but the headlights don't turn on.
I verified there is power going to the R1 ignition relay.

ATTEMPTED REMEDIES:
*I cleaned the battery terminals
*I cleaned the grounds under the aircleaner box
*I changed R1 ignition relay out for the fan relay (same relay)
*I wiggled the harness under the engine compartment fuse box
*changed out suspected fuses (even if they tested good)

No remedy seems to work so far.

I also tried to check the wiring to/inside the engine compartment fuse box, but I can't seem to get the fuse box fully disassembled because it is really stuck to the wiring harness which is preventing me from looking inside it to see if there is a bad connections somewhere. My battery leads and wires don't appear to be corroded or faulty.

HELP!

Any ideas? Is there a common single component that all the fuses that lack power are connected to that I can change out to fix this probem? Please help!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2016, 11:28 PM   #2
Low But Even Slower

Fan#: 112674
What I Drive: 2002 SPI Focus

Points 47,477, Level 100
Points: 47,477, Level: 100 Points: 47,477, Level: 100 Points: 47,477, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 23 SPIinDisguise Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Not common on sedans but check the trunk wiring for cracks or breaks. Could be an issue.

Sent from the top of a tree.

Sedan Revolution #289
FOCUS XTREME

Quote:
We don't charge by the word, tell us more.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:41 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 472, Level 9
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIinDisguise View Post
Not common on sedans but check the trunk wiring for cracks or breaks. Could be an issue.

Sent from the top of a tree.
I've heard about the hatch wiring going bad on hatchbacks. Didn't know sedans could face the same problem? But even if it were trunk wiring, would that affect Headlights, Windows, Blower, and Wipers?
Old 11-28-2016, 12:56 AM   #4
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 27,945, Level 98
Points: 27,945, Level: 98 Points: 27,945, Level: 98 Points: 27,945, Level: 98
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 125 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moved to General Tech Chat, best place for most DIY repair questions.

Main fuse box is the right area to concentrate on, if you aren't getting power to the fuses you definitely won't have the items working.

I'd guess you have a relay/main fuse inop. despite checking, HOW were the relays tested? Just a click isn't good enough.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 11-28-2016, 01:09 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 472, Level 9
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Moved to General Tech Chat, best place for most DIY repair questions.

Main fuse box is the right area to concentrate on, if you aren't getting power to the fuses you definitely won't have the items working.

I'd guess you have a relay/main fuse inop. despite checking, HOW were the relays tested? Just a click isn't good enough.
Technically I only tested R1 Ignition Relay. I put pos and neg leads to the smaller prongs. I could hear and feel them click. Yeah, I know, I really need to test if there's actually current though through the bigger prongs. However, I did take the fan relay which is the same as the Ignition Relay and swapped them out, and it didn't make a difference. (I'm assuming both relays can't be bad at the same time). As for the headlight relays I could hear and feel each of them click individually when I turned on the headlight switch to the ON position and when I switched to the highbeams "on" position as well.

Additionally I did go ahead and bridge the 3 and 5 position prongs directly on the fuse box itself at the R1 location. Even though I bridged it, and there IS power going through R1 junction, the main fuses F1, F2, and the headlight fuses still lacked any power.

Assuming the relays are ok, and there is power going through them, what would cause F1 and F2 and the headlights to lack power?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:45 AM   #6
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,366, Level 29
Points: 2,366, Level: 29 Points: 2,366, Level: 29 Points: 2,366, Level: 29
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 96 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
^This. There are three red wires coming off the battery positive terminal - one large, two smaller ones. I would suggest one of the two smaller ones has a break or intermittent. The ends of those wires are known for being subject to corrosion from the battery and corrosion can occur under the insulation (so the wire may look OK). Also those wires run close to the EGR pipe which can heat the insulation and make it and the wire inside brittle. It's also not unheard of for corrosion to occur on the underside of the engine junction fuse box.

Inspect the red wire leads and bypass them if necessary for testing purposes.

Clicking relays generally indicate insufficient voltage and usually are a result of dirty or intermittent connections or low overall system voltage (such as a dying/dead battery.)
Old 11-28-2016, 01:59 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 472, Level 9
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
^This. There are three red wires coming off the battery positive terminal - one large, two smaller ones. I would suggest one of the two smaller ones has a break or intermittent. The ends of those wires are known for being subject to corrosion from the battery and corrosion can occur under the insulation (so the wire may look OK). Also those wires run close to the EGR pipe which can heat the insulation and make it and the wire inside brittle. It's also not unheard of for corrosion to occur on the underside of the engine junction fuse box.

Clicking relays generally indicate insufficient voltage and usually are a result of dirty or intermittent connections or low overall system voltage (such as a dying/dead battery.)
it's a new battery and new alternator about 5 months old so far. At the same time (5 mos ago) all three positive battery cables did have some corrosion. I striped the insulation down several inches on each lead (so I could see the wires inside) til I got to clean non-corroded wire, and I cut it and spliced on new ends for all 3 leads so that they would have fresh connections to the battery with no corrosion.

Without stripping the wire again, I did not observe any corrosion on any of the positive cables. I don't know how to get to the main engine compartment fuse box end of the cable though. I've tried taking apart the engine compartment fuse box, but I can't really get inside of it because all the wires (short length) is keeping it together.

How many positive leads from the battery go directly to the engine compartment fuse box? Maybe I can bypass the harness and wire directly? But I can't even get inside the box :/
Old 11-28-2016, 02:26 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 472, Level 9
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Ok, so on your suggestion I re-inspected the positive wire leads.....turns out one of the smaller ones, as you suggested, did have some very slight corrosion on the exposed part by the eyelet where it bolts into the battery terminal end. It was so minor. But I sprayed it with battery terminal cleaner and wire-brushed the corrosion off. Sure 'nuff, everything came back on!

Wow, had no idea that slight outter corrosion would impede it enough to shut down everything like that. Now the only thing I'm worried about is if there's still some unseen corrosion somewhere further down on that positive wire inside the insulation somewhere. It's a pain to have to actually replace the entire harness vs. just splicing new ends onto it after cutting away visible corroded wire length off it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post

Old 11-28-2016, 02:28 AM   #9
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,366, Level 29
Points: 2,366, Level: 29 Points: 2,366, Level: 29 Points: 2,366, Level: 29
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 96 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Both of the smaller ones. One branches out with a factory splice and supplies high beam relay, low beam relay (with DRL), ignition relay directly. The other supplies power to most of the fused circuits in the engine bay junction box.
Is it possible that you may have inadvertently pulled on the wire during your first repair and put strain on the splice further in the cable?

Edit: Ignore that. See you have the problem isolated now.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:54 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 6,100, Level 50
Points: 6,100, Level: 50 Points: 6,100, Level: 50 Points: 6,100, Level: 50
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 54 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
The fusebox and harness leading into it are not meant to be worked on, they are considered and sold as one piece. I've rewired the entire box before on one but you definitely need the entire thing out and in front of you to do it. I basically changed 100% of all wires to a new plastic box as the old one shattered in an accident.

I see at least 4 separate battery supply wires going into underhood fusebox. 1 and then 1 other that splits into 3 right around the box. That accounts for the 2 smaller wires mentioned above.

One of the leads off that 3 way split supplies the ignition relay and then the output from that relay goes to many of your faulted devices. The other 2 splits supply the low and high headlight relays.

If you have a 30 strand wire and 28 of the strands are melted or broken then you will get power checks that show as good but wire will not carry enough power to power up your devices.

You may not want to bypass if there is a melted short unless you guarantee it is cut 100% completely out of the circuit, otherwise it will still try to short and often they are melted into other circuits to complicate issues even more.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.