Injector problem on 2002 1.8 TDCI - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 169610
What I Drive: 2002 Silver Focus GHIA

Points 23, Level 1
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 tiltratt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Injector problem on 2002 1.8 TDCI

Hi.

I have a 2002 focus with a few hiccups.

Whenever i try to overtake or haul a heavy trailer it goes into limp mode with codes P0251 and P1211 witch only states that fuel pressure is either to high or too low.
i did a "leakoff" test and ended up with this:

Where injector 4 has about 50% more output compared to the other 3 (witch when placed on a flat surface had equal amount of diesel in them)

I'm assuming that the defective injector causes the limp-mode and are about to order a new injector to replace the defective one..

Question: will the car be possible to drive after the injector swap without reprogramming? it's a 3.5 hour drive to my ford dealer from here, and i'd rather not go there like this (again)..

All help is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 27,917, Level 98
Points: 27,917, Level: 98 Points: 27,917, Level: 98 Points: 27,917, Level: 98
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 125 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
DTC info. here in the "stickies gives more info. than what you found just for the second code:DTC Codes (Detailed Descriptions)

At least there's a description for the first one.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 02-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 23, Level 1
Level Up 45% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
DTC info. here in the "stickies gives more info. than what you found just for the second code:DTC Codes (Detailed Descriptions)

At least there's a description for the first one.
Ford printed out those for me when the problem first occurred.. and they are as precise as a shotgun... :-P

i've concluded with a defective injector, but i've never done this before, and i'm not sure if the car will run unless it's reprogrammed with the new injector?
Old 02-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 27,917, Level 98
Points: 27,917, Level: 98 Points: 27,917, Level: 98 Points: 27,917, Level: 98
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 125 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Don't know enough about that system to start guessing, the combo of this code: "P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control A Malfunction" & the "fuel press. sensor low or high" one made me wonder what else MIGHT be going on.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 04-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 23, Level 1
Level Up 45% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I really need advice if anyone can help.

I got a refurbished injector from a company called "dieseldoctoruk" on eBay for £95. locally i'd have to pay about £450 for a new one.

I set the car in at the local ford dealer to replace the injector exactly about a week before Easter, but after 3 mechanics had used brute force on the injector they gave up on getting it out and told me to come back after Easter. (this is where i should have come to my senses and found another dealer)

2 weeks ago today I left the car there on Friday, but they had to use a blowtorch to heat up the old injector enough to get it out, then time ran out, so they told me they'd have the car finished Monday afternoon..

When i called them on Monday after lunch, they told me the injector didn't fit, so i must have gotten the wrong part.. that was of course BS, and a few calls to different dealers confirmed that it in fact the correct part, so i called them back and told them to have another look at it cause all the part-numbers matched. He said he'd call me bak after lunch Tuesday.

Riiight...Tuesday and Wednesday went by without anyone calling me... so on Thursday i called them to ask wtf was going on.. then the injector somehow magically fit after all... BUT!!! now they told me that the code was wrong... they needed a 6 digit code to program the ICU, So here we go again.. i told him i'd call him back in a few minutes... so i called 3 different ford dealers,and guess what.. none of them had ever heard of any 6 digit code to program the injectors.. and all of them told me that it was supposed to be a 16 digit code, witch was the code they got with the injector. So again... i had to call them to tell them that they already had the correct code. after that i heard nothing as usual until i called them on Friday to get a statusrapport.. They haven't started on the car yet.. but he said he was to take it in at 4pm, and call me about an hour before he was finished... Programming the injector isn't exactly rocked surgery, så i gave him an hour and i headed out there, either way i needed my GPS that same weekend, i got to the dealer around 6pm and the car still didn't start. (remember this is a ford dealer) i turned out he couldn't figure out where to find the feature to program the injector.. being an IT professional it didn't take me long to find it and he could get started.. car still would't start, so at 9.15pm we gave up after trying anything we could think og including bleeding the fuel system and reseating connectors.

So that was the first 7 days in the shop.

Week 2:
Monday: as usual not a call from them.. Tuesday: see Monday, Wednesday: same as the two previous days, so i called them, Surprise!!!.. it was something wrong with the injector again, they told me the car ran on only 3 cylinders, and that the injector was to blame, according to them it had to be transported in an upright position, or else it would fail.. So i gave up and got the car (that i drove there) home on a towtruck... I'm still awaiting a answer from "dieseldoctoruk" but how the h**l is it possible to ship an injector standing???

So.. after i got it home. i've tried to reprogram the ICU , with no luck.
But... there is a significant difference in how the engine runs if i unplug the replaced injector, without it connected it's much more rough on idle.. but with tit connected it runs rough, but not as bad as when it's disconnected.
There is no DTC codes relating to the engine, only code is a headlight adjustment sensor in the back end, but i seriously doubt that the sensor for the xenon lights stops the injector from firing..
I also took another leak off test.. cyl 1,2 and 3 was about the same, but cyl 4 was empty.. nothing came out in the bottle.. so with he engine running on idle i losen the diesel pipe on tip of every injector one by one 1,2 and 3 shot diesel almost to the ceiling, cyl 4 just poofed out a squirt and the engine stopped, cranking the engine with the pipes loose gave me less fuel spilling on cyl 4 than the other 3.

It's 1am here atm and i've been on the road all day, not home till 7.30pm and been at it with he focus since after dinner... so bare over with me on the typos i'm dead tired and just want to set fire to the whole damn car at this point.

I'm at my wits end, and any and every advice is much appreciated at this time.

T...
Old 04-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 23, Level 1
Level Up 45% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I have no idea what to read out of this.. but maybe some of you do..
The problem i have is with injector 3 on cyl 4.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.