Need advice/help asap. Broken valve bolt. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By amc49

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2016, 02:46 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 203361
What I Drive: 2001 Black Focus Zx3 2.0 DOHC

Points 781, Level 14
Points: 781, Level: 14 Points: 781, Level: 14 Points: 781, Level: 14
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 timmykins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Need advice/help asap. Broken valve bolt.

I really need a answer in the next six hours.. (when im leaving for the jy.)

So today i was workin on my girls 05 2.0L duratec and everything was going very smoothly untill i started the valve cov. It came off, two of bolts fell out on their own and the gasket came out easily. I put the new gasket in, cleaned thr mating surface, and began bolting it back into the car. I startwd with the middle bolt, and went to the center passenger side bolt second. (one inside plug valley not border.) the 1st bolt torqued down and took quite a few rotations beyond snug to actually mske my in. Lb wrench to "click". But it did.
The second, acted the same as the first and turned and turned and turned, and then it snapped. Luckily i can see a lot of the bolt without removing the valve cover so i know i can rempvr the stud without more issues. But leads me to my problem and question.
Ive searched and searched the web for my answer without an answer :(
1. Ford said new bolts only serviceable with a new VC (120$) kiss my ass.
2. Vatozone (my work), o'crylies, and carqwaust all say cant get...
3. Does anyone know if a hardware store bolt or a specility bolt store will be able to supply me with an exact duplicate?
4. Can i go to the JY and remove the bolts from a duratec VC? I noticed when two fell out when changin the gasket that the holes have the balls which is what locks them in. But i am able to remove them by gently pressing down and turnin as if im tightening them.
Can i punch/push them out, or press from bottom and turn to the left as if im loosing them.
5. The torque is 89 in lbs correct? According to my chilition....
6. Whu did the two bolts i tightened spin and spin ans spin? Should i retap the bolt holes to be safe ??
I thught about using my zx3's extra vc bolts but their bigger :b woulda been too easy......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119680
What I Drive: 2010 SeS Turbo charcoal, 2012 se

Points 525, Level 10
Points: 525, Level: 10 Points: 525, Level: 10 Points: 525, Level: 10
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 puffingonj Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Get the bolts from a junkyard. No parts store bolt will be an exact match and do the job right. I just use a 1/4 inch ratchet and snug them up
Old 01-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 29,432, Level 99
Points: 29,432, Level: 99 Points: 29,432, Level: 99 Points: 29,432, Level: 99
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 126 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moved to General Tech Chat

Click type torque wrenches make this easier to happen than indicator type, but it can happen with any. The click type won't click unless the bolt pulls up solidly against resistance, and the indicator type will not register much added torque in the same situation.

Inch pound torque numbers for small bolts are often near yield values for the bolt or threaded hole, so if they don't draw up firmly to the suggested torque it's time to stop turning them and investigate the cause.

For both the broken bolt and the one that didn't draw up normally it sounds like they were yielding from not being strong enough for the torque value. Possibly over torqued before but could just be aged or otherwise not up to spec.. Spec. itself could be too high for the circumstances, well lubricated bolts take less torque to reach a breaking point than dry.

Check the threads of the holes for condition, then when using new bolts follow puffingonj's advice to snug them up firmly without being quite so concerned about reaching a specified torque value (could be too high for the circumstances).

One added hint is to torque items like this in stages, from finger tight to snug to final torque. Going straight to a final torque value for each bolt puts too much strain on the individual bolt since they ALL need to be torqued evenly to hold the item squarely in position. (can't draw down the whole cover with one bolt)

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003

Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 6,412, Level 52
Points: 6,412, Level: 52 Points: 6,412, Level: 52 Points: 6,412, Level: 52
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 56 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Bolts overtightened like most of these are. Lower your torque to say 70, but I never use a torque wrench at all. Simply go down to the hit and then a bit more, spinning and spinning means you went WAY too far.

People just can't get that you are no longer squeezing a gasket to 'crush' it any longer, they have squeezed flat by the time the parts have pulled up solid and nothing you do past that increases the seal, in fact makes it worse.
puffingonj likes this.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 276401
What I Drive: 03 duratec

Points 315, Level 6
Points: 315, Level: 6 Points: 315, Level: 6 Points: 315, Level: 6
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 1 Travons03 Good Standing Member
I have used valve covers available. the bolts ownt need to be vehicle specific LMAO

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.