Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2000 Focus ZTS trunk latch

8K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  whitese 
#1 ·
I've read all the posts I can find on trunk latches. None seem to have a solution for my problem. My trunk has stopped opening, with the key, the remote, or the dash release. I suspect there is something wrong with the latch.

My problem is that I can't get in the trunk to fix it! The back seats fold down, but the release is in the trunk. Does anyone know how to get the seats out/down when you can't get in the trunk?

Thanks,
Stacey

#4 ·
Valet switches for trunks come in many forms, Sometimes they are up front by the seat, other times, you guessed it, they are in the trunk. I am just not sure IF the Focus even has one, and I own a ZTS as well.

Can someone else chime in on this? I don't want to send Stacey off on a wild goose chase for nothing.

#9 ·
The key turns, it won't open. You can also hear the mechanism when you push either the button on the dash, or the remote. I'm thinking maybe the latch mechanism is broken. I don't think a locksmith will do it, the lock is working fine, it's the latch doohickey that won't let go.

#13 ·
OK, I'm not sure how the seats are built, but have you looked at removing the lower rear seat and seeing if you could access the lower seatback hinges and remove them? If they designed it right, for trunk security, the hinges would only be accessible from the trunk; however, they might not of been that careful with the design.

#14 ·
Unfortunately, they were careful with the design. There is access to one bolt, but you can't get the other unless the seatback is down. This is an ugly circle.

How the heck is anyone going to get in? Can a locksmith take the lock and mechanism apart from outside?

#15 ·
Well, it sound like some connection rod likely just fell out of place, e.g., a circlip came off and a linkage rod or something is loose. A locksmith could probably drill out the lock and fish around through the hole to release it; however, that would be costly and destroy the lock.

Do you have access to an identical model you could examine? If so, take a look and see where the emergency release handle is located inside the trunk. Then see if there is some way you could perhaps drill a hole into the trunck from underneath and, using a coathanger or something, grab and pull the emergency release. I have a Wagon and do not know the seat back design; however, you might check to see if there is someway to do something similar snaking a coat hanger around the seatback if there are any gaps into the trunk. You could also try to release the seatback latch using this method.

If you know any police or criminals, you might also ask them as they may have suggestions.

But the key thing is to get an identical model you can examine closely to do some brainstorming and figure-out how to release the latch somehow with a rod, coathanger, long screwdriver, or other way by making an access hole in a inconspicuous place, that you could easily fix/seal afterwards.

#17 ·
how willing are you to cut/replace parts of the vehicle? Flip the ass part of the seat 'up' and look at where the black hinges of the 'back' part of the seat are secured to the body of the vehicle. there should be three large torx bolts. however, a black metal part is directly infront of them blocking a ratchet from even coming close. if you can cut those black things (cut off tool), and get a ratchet /torx bit in there, the bottom part will become free, only to be held in at the top by the latch mechanism. you might be able to fanagle your way to remove them.

Honestly, i didn't quite see what those black things do (from above)... but I will gladly take pictures of what i'm talking about. send me a PM and i'll post it here. My trunk also is apart, ie. no trim panels period. The only trim panel that is on is the one that is connected to the trunk lid. If there is a emergency release, it would be under there ...because its not anywhere else.

-john
SQF

#18 ·
Trunk update! I finally took it to my locksmith. He is always willing to take on a challenge. He is a small guy, so was able to force an arm between the back seat rests and pull the release. When I picked up the car his arm was very bruised and bloody.

Now I have to buy a new trunk latch. Some plastic part got caught in the latch and gummed it all up. It can't be fixed. A dealer quoted me $422 to replace it. Ha! I'll keep the bungie cord for a while.

#20 ·
Well.....after encountering the exact same problem and reading as many posts as I could about this I took my car to the locksmith this weekend. He fabricated a key so he wouldn't break mine trying to force it. No luck....even with all his fancy lubricants. I discussed all the different things I had read on the internet that people had to do to get in. My locksmith actually dealt with the same problem with a focus at the airport about six months ago. It was an emergency and the guy needed immediate access to his trunk so the locksmith actually had to cut the trunk to get in and the guy had to replace his trunk. So after telling him about everything I had read on the internet he got inside the car in the back seat and had a good look at things. He devised a way to get a bar in through a tiny hole at the top of the backseat where you would attach your baby seat and he was able to pull one of the seat releases. We were all pretty amazed when he did it. Once he did that he climbed in to the trunk and got the latch to release. He even managed to uncease the tumbler and now I'm good to go although I'm going to hit the wrecker next weekend for a new latch/tumbler as I am without power trunk. The tumbler/latch/power trunk motor is all one assembly and my power trunk motor is blown I guess. But I was pretty happy. It cost me 60 bucks instead of $200-$400 that I figured it would. By the way....the tumbler ceased up from never using the key.

#23 ·
I'm having a problem just like this... I was lucky the latch on one of my back seats lost it's spring and i was able to climb into the trunk and pop the latch with a screwdriver. However, it still is not working correctly and I think I have to replace the latch. Any idea what this will run me from a dealer/junker?

#24 ·
I got a latch for $78 and its easy as pie to replace just two torx bits, and then line it up, but to get the lock cylinder out, you have to bust apart the old latch, the there is a little pin you push down and it comes right out, it really is quite simple to do

#25 ·
20ZTS00 said:
I got a latch for $78 and its easy as pie to replace just two torx bits, and then line it up, but to get the lock cylinder out, you have to bust apart the old latch, the there is a little pin you push down and it comes right out, it really is quite simple to do
I have a some what similar problem, my trunk does not open with the remote or from the switch inside, but it does with the key. If I understood correctly this would mean that if I go to a junkyard and get the lack I would have to make a key just for the trunk? Or is there a why to get the cylinder out without damaging the new one that I would install?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.