Engine overheating? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 246905
What I Drive: 2004 RED LX

Points 57, Level 1
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 1 Felsvar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Update: Engine overheating?

Update on Post #14

Hey guys!

Earlier today i drove my focus for about 20 miles out from home. I noticed after I parked the car, it started to spit-out coolant from the water reservoir when i shut it off. Also noticed that my fans are not kicking in.

2 weeks ago, i changed the heat resistor that goes in between the fans and the pigtail. But the fans only turn-on if i put on my a/c. Nevertheless, with the a/c on and having the fans blowing every few minutes - after driving and parking it again it started to spit out water/coolant again.

I am confused of what is going on. Read few other threads about this problem but i don't have a Zetec engine or a Duratec. I got a 2004 Focus LX 2.0 SPI Engine.

What tempreture does it need to reach for the fan to kick in?

Also, I removed the thermostat to see if it was that, but it is still spiting out coolant after i park it.

Last edited by Felsvar; 06-21-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Updating
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 3,164, Level 34
Points: 3,164, Level: 34 Points: 3,164, Level: 34 Points: 3,164, Level: 34
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 59%
Activity: 59% Activity: 59% Activity: 59%
FF Reputation: 23 Marde Great Standing Member
Hi. Not sure about exact temp for fan engagement on an SPI engine. My fans turn on Low speed at about 110-C. Use odometer test mode if you want to see your engine/coolant temperature. Did the temp gauge/needle inside the car move into the Red area?

It sounds like your coolant tank AND/OR the cap for the tank is defective. This is very common. They often leak after 8 to 10 years or so. My tank was replaced back in 2012. A tiny leak will make the coolant boil and only make it seem like an overheat condition.

Odo test mode - See post #5 here->
Low temperature heater output
Old 06-15-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 4,146, Level 40
Points: 4,146, Level: 40 Points: 4,146, Level: 40 Points: 4,146, Level: 40
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 34 amc49 Great Standing Member
Look hard at the cap. Sometimes they can get a hard enough seal so that simply hand tight won't seal them. One car I have I have to slightly overtighten the cap with a large pair of channellocks. The plastic tank thread gets frayed enough that handtight is not enough to seal at pressure. All engines overheat slightly at shutdown when the water quits circulating. It's normal, the cap holds that in. Until it goes bad anyway.

When most people get alarmed about car overheating they then are firmly convinced the fans never come on as they don't until pretty high temps on these. Rig an indicator light to come on when fan comes on and you'll see when it works and not nearly so much as you think. Mine even now do not come on until like 15 miles driven if a/c is off. Depends on how much time in stopped traffic.

With a/c on the fans at least should be on low all the time generally.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Points 57, Level 1
Level Up 14% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
Thanks for the replies. Last night i hard wire the engine cooling fan (not the A/C fan) so it can turn on with the ignition; therefore the fan won't turn off till i shut-off the car. This is just temporary as I ordered a new ECU for the car.

My uncle had this same experience with a Dodge Neon and said that to " change the ECU because there is a chance a negative cable is making the engine overheat." I took his word and ordered a new ECU for the car.

Also, the coolant tank does look kinda old and begging for it to be replaced. However, it only leaks out the coolant through the overfill hole that it has above on the edge. there is a rubber hose connected in it that leads downward - (nothing is connected at the other end).
Old 06-16-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60175
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF ZX5 Screamin' Yellow

Points 469, Level 9
Points: 469, Level: 9 Points: 469, Level: 9 Points: 469, Level: 9
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 J-Rod Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I would be careful about just slapping a new ECU on it. I just had the same issues with overheating and it was about a 20-30$ fix versus putting a new ecu onto the car.

If it is spitting out the overflow hose have you looked at replacing that specific hose?

We here on the forum could help you out a bit with a few more details. My issue was where the fans were not kicking on and i did the same MOD as you to turn the fans on with the car on. Now it was just a new relay to be purchased and it fixed everything for me.
2004 SVTF ZX5 Screaming Yellow, CFM Throttle Body, Steeda STS, Cold Air Intake, StopTech Drilled & Slotted, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Stainless Steel Lines, Motul600 RBF, Koni Struts, DEI Wrapped Header.

2003 SVTF ZX3 CD Silver (Sold)
Old 06-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 57, Level 1
Level Up 14% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
@J-Rod

I have not replaced the overflow hose since I thought it is only use to direct the water out. I mean does it matter even if it is a hose that isn't doing nothing but exiting the water after it has too much?

Also thinking of changing the coolant tank since it looks a bit old and worn. And I am having double thoughts on changing the ECU; found one on E-bay but it is used. Also, what relay did you changed? I have not changed any relays yet.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
Hammer Down

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 16,883, Level 83
Points: 16,883, Level: 83 Points: 16,883, Level: 83 Points: 16,883, Level: 83
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 93 sailor Excellent Standing Member
There is no "overflow hose" that I know of.

Overflow is out the cap when pressure gets too high.

Disconnected hose would prevent it from pressurizing to prevent boiling, and also be a place for it to leak.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 06-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60175
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF ZX5 Screamin' Yellow

Points 469, Level 9
Points: 469, Level: 9 Points: 469, Level: 9 Points: 469, Level: 9
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 J-Rod Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felsvar View Post
@J-Rod

I have not replaced the overflow hose since I thought it is only use to direct the water out. I mean does it matter even if it is a hose that isn't doing nothing but exiting the water after it has too much?

Also thinking of changing the coolant tank since it looks a bit old and worn. And I am having double thoughts on changing the ECU; found one on E-bay but it is used. Also, what relay did you changed? I have not changed any relays yet.
Check out the thread I had going.Overheating Issues w/details. It has some pics in it. The relay i replaced was the green one in bottom right corner in the pics.
2004 SVTF ZX5 Screaming Yellow, CFM Throttle Body, Steeda STS, Cold Air Intake, StopTech Drilled & Slotted, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Stainless Steel Lines, Motul600 RBF, Koni Struts, DEI Wrapped Header.

2003 SVTF ZX3 CD Silver (Sold)
Old 06-17-2015, 03:25 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 4,146, Level 40
Points: 4,146, Level: 40 Points: 4,146, Level: 40 Points: 4,146, Level: 40
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 34 amc49 Great Standing Member
(shaking head)

The plastic tank has NO OVERFLOW HOSE, there is your leak to cause boiling over. The hose MUST go somewhere. Odds are one of the bleeds and if so then engine probably has a fat air pocket in it to overheat again.

There is NO engine cooling or a/c fan, they BOTH run together as a pair, both on low or high speeds, another boilover issue. One fan running only will overheat.

The PCM is most likely working perfect.

Wanting to change the PCM too quickly is one of the biggest indicators of a person who does not understand how the cars work.

Sorry and not trying to be insulting but it is what it is.
Lukemc likes this.

Last edited by amc49; 06-17-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:41 AM   #10
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,445, Level 99
Points: 29,445, Level: 99 Points: 29,445, Level: 99 Points: 29,445, Level: 99
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Rewiring the fans will typically cause more problems. 100% of the time when I repaired cars in junkyards with owner installed wiring changes to the cooling fans- I was able to get the fans working on the factory wiring. I used to call it "owner damage".

Sometimes it was a temp sensor that was the cause, and other times there was no problem at all. The coolant overflow cap is much cheaper than the PCM, and it is easier to change than rewiring the fans. Most auto repair problems are that simple.

In your case, I would've used the electronic odometer trick to check what the computer was reading before I did anything.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.