Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Transmission, Idling, knocking noises

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jsonghas 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I need some assistance from those who have delt with transmission issues with their focus. I have a 2003 SE Wagon and I have been plagued by the infamous "jerk" that is felt when you slow down to turn a corner then step on the gas again and it seems as if the transmission isn't in gear and then you feel a jerk. I have had this car in the shop twice for this reason and of course no one ever can figure it out. Later this week I am going back to have a technician ride with me so I can be sure they know what I am talking about since they can never duplicate it. If anyone has dealt with this and got is fixed please let me know so I can at least direct them in what to fix.

The last time I had the car in the shop (dealership) it was because when I was driving it would not shift from 2nd gear to another gear. Rather than shift the engine would rev as if it was in neutral. I was quite a distance from home and I drove the regular streets (rather than interstate) to get back home, where I call Ford Roadside Assistance and had them tow the car in. Of course the problem couldn't be duplicated. Has this happened to anyone before? I am figuring it may have been a computer glitch or something since it hasn't happened since and when it did happen, I did not turn the car off (which may have reset something). Since all of this happened I have noticed that I get very weird sometimes jerky shifts from the transmission. Any thoughts????

Another problem has been with vibration. I don't usually care for four cylindar (automatic) cars because they vibrate so much when in drive waiting for a light and etc. I have noticed that my car has gotten worse when idling at lights. On this last time in they did something with the engine mounts (I think) and it felt better. I was hearing a knocking noise also when i would go over bumps and they said something with the struts was loose. I noticed a difference when I picked it up, but in the 3 weeks that have passed it is back to the same thing again. Anyone have any dealing with this? One thing I remember about this little car was how easy it was to drive 80 mph and it felt very solid. Right now I feel as if my car is going to fall apart when I hit 75 or 80 mph. It feels as if the engine can't handle the speed (it may be vibrating too much).

Finally, I have recently noticed on several occasions that my car feels like it is going to shut off when idling at a traffic light. It has never cut off and I usually shift to neutral and step on the gas and it stops. One time I did experience the lack of power while on the interstate and when I initially stepped on the gas is did not seem like it was helping but then it kicked in and was fine. Any suggestions??? Fuel pump????

This car has just under 28000 miles so whatever it is is under warranty. I just want to be able to point the "idiots" (excuse me if I offend anyone) to the problem so it is fixed. It amazes me that it would be okay for a car to be in for service for a few days and then you go to pick it up for them to say, nothing was wrong. I will never use the service technician I used again either. He was too laid back and should have provided better details as to what was done (especially since I asked, prior to picking up the car). I had someone drop me off when I picked it up, otherwise, I would not have left there with the car if it was doing the same thing it was before I took it in.

I appreciate any responses.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds to me, off the top of my head like your torque converter is messed up and the transmission is engaging/disengaging on it's own when it shouldn't. This could also be caused by your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) being off and the revs changing enough to try to get the tranmission to adjust.

Either way, sounds like a dealership thing to me.

#3 ·
I have that problem, mine does that after it climbs rpm's then slams itself into drive, i was told to get my trans rebuilt, don't wanna spend the quoted 1500 bucks so i found a trans for 300 bucks, works fine i am told i trust these guys so i am going that route. Hope everything works out for you as well. I wouldn't be changing it but i have had many palces look at it and drive it and say nothing is wrong, however finally i got someone in it i trust to tell me i do need to change it or rebuild it, so i looked around and found a good deal, i would suggest if you are mechanically inclined and can get one that works for that cheap i would do it, i am taking my other that i have out of the car and eventually will upgrade it with some lentech stuff.

#4 ·
I think the revving/jerking thing is usually trans internal. for example, too much internal leakage causing loss of fluid pressure, and one of the clutch packs won't engage until the engine revs and the pressure increases. Then it engages with the engine revving and you feel the jerk. One thing I know for sure- you should take this thing to somebody who knows what they're doing- in case it IS just something small.

#6 ·
Don Chalmer's Ford here in Albuquerque has great service. They are expensive as hell, but great service.

#7 ·
Thanks to all who responded. Some of you suggested that I go to someone who knows what they are doing. This car is still under warranty so I am going to go back to dealership. I can't imagine driving this car like this for the rest of the time I own it. At some point the dealership will have to fix it or I will have to go to Ford or something. My Mazda MPV has a slight problem with the transmission slipping a little when it is cold. This has been documented by Mazda and it is known to be a problem and it is not very noticeable and goes away after driving a few miles. What I am feeling when I drive my Focus is definitely not "just the way an electronic transmission is" as I have been told by one service technician. I will make myself a "pain in the butt, so much so, they will be happy to give me a new car to get rid of me[;)] . If anyone else has any other thoughts please continue to post them. I am going to the dealership again on Thursday morning and want to be ready.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.