2009 Focus SES front end Vibration Noise - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 78198
What I Drive: 2009,black,ford focus ses coupe

Points 433, Level 8
Points: 433, Level: 8 Points: 433, Level: 8 Points: 433, Level: 8
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 dhoff024 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2009 Focus SES front end Vibration Noise

I have an 09 Focus SES 2 door 5 speed. Recently I have noticed while Idling I have been hearing a muffled vibration noise. I have already went through having issues with the dash rattling and had that looked at under warranty that was a few years back. I have almost 70K on the car now and I am wondering if it is a motor mount issue or if there is something else that could be making the noise. I dont know if anyone else has had this issue or could point me in the right place to start looking. I only hear it while Idling one I let off the clutch and on the gas it immedietly goes away and is fine while driving. If I have the radio on it is harder to hear but if I have the radio down or off it is very noticable. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Hammer Down

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 15,419, Level 80
Points: 15,419, Level: 80 Points: 15,419, Level: 80 Points: 15,419, Level: 80
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 83 sailor Excellent Standing Member
First: Does it change or disappear when you put your foot on the clutch?

Second: Yes, the vibrations from a passenger side motor mount can show up first at idle. IF it happens mostly when cold, this is a vibration possibility that can cause anything else to vibrate for a noise source. Worst at idle/cold, you can use a jack & board to LIGHTLY lift up the engine. Vibration/noise disappears - motor mount is the cause.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 05-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 433, Level 8
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
First: Does it change or disappear when you put your foot on the clutch?

Second: Yes, the vibrations from a passenger side motor mount can show up first at idle. IF it happens mostly when cold, this is a vibration possibility that can cause anything else to vibrate for a noise source. Worst at idle/cold, you can use a jack & board to LIGHTLY lift up the engine. Vibration/noise disappears - motor mount is the cause.
Thank you for the reply. Temps have been very warm here in western pa the past week in the 90's. I drove the car sunday to pittsburgh and was in traffic and did not hear it. when I started the car in my driveway this morning I did not notice it. On my way to work I was stopped at a red light and thats when I really noticed it. I have about a 20 min drive to work. I drove the car breifly after I got to work to take my boss to drop off his car and I noticed it then. The car was warmed up and the temps are about 70. My first guess was motor mount but wasnt sure so basically you are saying put a jack and a board under the motor and lift on it while it is running to see if the sound goes away?
Old 05-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
Hammer Down

Points 15,419, Level 80
Level Up 14% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
That's a trick to diagnose vibrations from a worn engine mount. By itself, it's unlikely to produce noises & less likely to vibrate in the warm conditions. Vibrations can cause noises from other items.

Mine's been on it's way out for a while now, and isn't noticeable in the warm summer weather (plenty of vibes on a cold Winter's morning).

Asked about sound when clutch is pressed, sometimes there is a rattle from the throwout bearing with the clutch released at idle. Goes away as soon as your foot is on the pedal.

S.R. #275
Old 05-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 433, Level 8
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
That's a trick to diagnose vibrations from a worn engine mount. By itself, it's unlikely to produce noises & less likely to vibrate in the warm conditions. Vibrations can cause noises from other items.

Mine's been on it's way out for a while now, and isn't noticeable in the warm summer weather (plenty of vibes on a cold Winter's morning).

Asked about sound when clutch is pressed, sometimes there is a rattle from the throwout bearing with the clutch released at idle. Goes away as soon as your foot is on the pedal.
Ok so today when I went to lunch the temperature was around 75 when I went into work it was in the 60's with a cool breeze so it did not feel all that warm. With that being said when I went to lunch and drove my car it had been sitting in the sun and the temp was up I had no noise. When I left work it had been sitting in the shade and it had cooled down with temps getting into the 40's tonight. The noise was back at that point and I noticed that if the rpms were over 1k there was no noise but once it went under 1k that is when it started. I am guessing the diagnosis of a motor mount is most likely correct. As to you saying about the throw out bearing I know what noise you are talking about I did not know that is what it was until you pointed it out but I know exactly the noise you are referring to. My next question is do you have any part numbers for a replacement motor mount? I looked on advance auto parts web site and this is what I get Anchor Engine Mount 3103: Advance Auto Parts. I also checked rock auto and this is what they have More Information for WESTAR EM3103 I don't really know where else to look I did check ebay and they have some OEM parts but they don't look like these 2 mounts.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #6
Hammer Down

Points 15,419, Level 80
Level Up 14% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
You want a Ford part for the passenger side mount, whether bought locally or discount mail order.

Those aftermarket ones often don't cure the problem, or when they do the life span can be very short.

Last poster saying his was great for close to a year rescinded that soon after, he HAD been disputing the recommendations posted here.

S.R. #275
Old 05-13-2015, 08:52 AM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 433, Level 8
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
So I went onto the ford parts website and put in my VIN and searched motor mount and this is what I come up with 2009 Ford Focus Engine Mount Isolator | FordParts.com. Is this the mount that I need? I just want to check since when I search online I come up with a bunch of different mounts I am guessing there are different ones for automatic and manual but figured I would check.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #8
Hammer Down

Points 15,419, Level 80
Level Up 14% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
That's the right side mount for a 5-spd '09 2.0.

Correct one (unless you've got an automatic).

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.