2005 Ford Focus ZX3 PATS Problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115489
What I Drive: 2003 Tundra SE

Points 64, Level 1
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 focusse930 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2005 Ford Focus ZX3 PATS Problem

Here are the facts: 2005 Ford Focus ZX-3; Manual transmission; 2.0 DOHC. Manual windows and manual locks. The PATS system is intermittently kicking in and not allowing the car to crank or start. The system blinks normally in the slow pattern when armed. When it won't let you start the car, it flashes rapidly when the key is turned to the run or start positions. The computer has been changed twice in 8 months and the problem continues. The PATS transceiver has also been replaced. All ground connections have been cleaned up. Both keys have been properly programmed by the dealer. I have repaired some hacked up wiring from the previous owner. The problem continues. I have read through the forum discussions and no one really seems to fully understand how this system works and how to deactivate or disable it. The Ford dealer doesn't know what to do next either. If you can offer some techinical help, I'm ready for it. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 6,402, Level 52
Points: 6,402, Level: 52 Points: 6,402, Level: 52 Points: 6,402, Level: 52
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%
FF Reputation: 39 Marde Great Standing Member
Wow, what a bummer.

I can not offer any truly good tech advise, but maybe some discussion to get some ideas going.

The car has a couple data-buses (SCP, ISO, CAN) for some modules to communicate. There was a least one thread where a damaged wire caused one or all the buses to crash and it was a no-start condition; can not remember if that guy had PATS flashing tho. The point here tho is that (sadly) your intermittent problem could be a defective wiring thing and this could be causing PATS to fail.

There are also a few stories about odometer/instrument cluster problems were the typical problem is cluster lights not working or flashing. These were often fixed by removing the cluster and cleaning the circuit board. I can't remember the exact details, but I remember that PATS and the cluster have some shared components and/or connectivity. So, my idea is that cleaning that circuit board is a good thing to do in your shoes. BTW, the cluster is also one of the modules that connects via a data-bus.

Do a search for "focus instrument cluster circuit board" and you should find a few hits.

Also, you have a hatch, so inspecting the hatch wiring is a good idea too.
See pic at post#5 here->
Trunk release does not work even with new release

Whoops, outta time, gotta go!
Old 07-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86672
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

Points 1,142, Level 18
Points: 1,142, Level: 18 Points: 1,142, Level: 18 Points: 1,142, Level: 18
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 2 Ak-Focus Good Standing Member
I have been having a similar intermittent problem, and may (hopefully) have fixed it. In my case, when the problem occurs everything is dead (instrument cluster, radio, etc.) except the PATS light and a dim red oil-can symbol below the speedometer dial).

While checking ground connections this morning (all appear good), I found a dangling wire with a tiny 4-pin connector. It was hanging right next to a Karr Security Systems device mounted next to the hood release, and by golly the wire plugs right into the back of that.

I bought the car used, and the dealer disabled the Karr system with a disarming plug and a certain procedure. I assume the wire still must be plugged into the device to avoid a security fault, and the connector may have been working its way loose. (I won't pull out now; there must be some kind of catch on the connector.)

Since the problem is intermittent, I won't know for quite some time (ever?) if I have fixed it. Fingers crossed.

(After reading a bunch of threads on this forum about PATS [passive anti-theft system] and some of the very sorry, crippling and long-term problems people have had with it, I think it should have been called ADSS [active denial of service system]. How many folks have been at the end of a long, lonely road, in winter, beyond cell phone service when these problems happen?)
Attached Thumbnails
2005 Ford Focus ZX3 PATS Problem-karr-device.jpg  

Old 07-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

Points 1,000, Level 16
Points: 1,000, Level: 16 Points: 1,000, Level: 16 Points: 1,000, Level: 16
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 14 Leora83 Great Standing Member
There is a special circle of hell reserved for people who install aftermarket security systems, then sell their car without either removing it or informing the new owner of how to disable the thing.

And it's a lower circle still for those who hack up the factory wiring beyond repair while installing it...
Old 07-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 29,495, Level 99
Points: 29,495, Level: 99 Points: 29,495, Level: 99 Points: 29,495, Level: 99
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 126 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Now that the picture shows, I can agree wholeheartedly that the system should have been removed completely before selling the car!

Permanent item that plugs into the OBD port could be a REAL issue in the future, I'd try to get it removed by them to avoid issues.

Heck, does the car even work with it disconnected now? You need OBD access for Inspections & repair.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.