Is it still my fuel pump? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 203361
What I Drive: 2001 Black Focus Zx3 2.0 DOHC

Points 585, Level 11
Points: 585, Level: 11 Points: 585, Level: 11 Points: 585, Level: 11
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 1 timmykins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is it still my fuel pump?

I AM IN DIRE NEED OF ASSIASSTANCE.... I cant this project up anymore, or i have to send the car to the junk card, and ive put so much time, money, and my child hood into it.

So I recently inheritied a 2001 Zx3 2.0 DOHC which is my child hood car because my mom passed last april, and ive been trying to fix it up so its cherry. So far, ive spent over 1500$ in the Engine, and some suspension. And now the focus curse has reared its ugly head again, and now my fuel pump took a shit (im pretty sure).

After siphoning a full tank of gas (and getting plenty of gas in my mouth) i tried to replace my bad pump with an aftermarket O'rielys, autozone, and car quest pump. All of them sat in my assembly cruckid, and did not seat all the way properly. So I returned them, and went onto my next option.. No money lost there,

So, I went to a JY and ripped out a 2003 Focus LX 2.0 SEFI Fuel pump, assembly, and the driver module. After replacing the Fuel pump the first time with aftermarket ones and it not working, I turned here. Bad idea, I ended up spending 70$ for those 3 parts, and after replacing the fuel pump, putting the tank back up into the car, i primed the JY pump, and it started! but it was idling so rough, and only stayed alive for maybe 10 seconds? Dead after that.... Lost some there,

Next, EBAY! 30$ brand new pump, hope it works, keep reading lol

(new ebay on left, old on right)

Now im onto my next option, which i have already put into the car, but before I try to start the car, i am going to test every connection with my multimeter, I just need to know what certain wires are suppost to be, what volt. And im kinda concerned about a few parts, and also have no idea what others are, which is why im here. I took in-depth pictures of everything, so you can guys can tell me what i'm doing wrong..

My inhertia switch... has it tripped? Should the wires both be 12v power sources?

the cords look in good condition

Onto my Fuel Pump Driver Module. (The OEM one that came with my ZX3. Not the JY Donor car)
Will this work with my Ebay fuel pump??
I REALLY NEED THE VOLT READINGS FOR WHAT EACH WIRE SHOULD BE COMING OUT OF THE CONNECTORS..
[URL=http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/timmykins1/media/CAM00496_zpse3fe8f5e.jpg.html]
Do I need to sand this surface down? (for a better ground?)

Are theses wires correct?

Six wires, Left to right,
Green/Orange (12v Power?), Green/Orange (12v Power?), Solid Black (Ground), Solid Black (ground), Black/White stripe (Whats this?), Green/black (Another ground)?
What is the voltage they should read with the key "On" and the also with the engine cranking?

Does this all look correct so far?

Is this going to screw me??

Do they match up?

What is this?

I had to swtich the fuel sending unit from my original assembly to the donor assembly because the donor unit did not work (Im using the donor assembly, no donor pump/sending unit)

spliced right?

my old spliced, i re-did it and cleaned the assembly up

what is this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Hammer Down

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 16,045, Level 81
Points: 16,045, Level: 81 Points: 16,045, Level: 81 Points: 16,045, Level: 81
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 89 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moved to General Tech Chat.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 01-20-2015, 11:17 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 193737
What I Drive: 2005 5 speed ZX3

Points 805, Level 15
Points: 805, Level: 15 Points: 805, Level: 15 Points: 805, Level: 15
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 11%
FF Reputation: 2 cannaert Good Standing Member
I can not tell you what wires need to check but I will ask this, Did you check to make sure the relay is working right by swaping it out with different relay in the fuse block?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:47 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 585, Level 11
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
I didnt, i couldnt get it out i tried tonight.. the mini 15 is good, does my inhertia look tripped ? No luck todat with a half tank, gonna try withh a full tank tomorroe
Old 01-21-2015, 01:51 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 585, Level 11
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
The fuel level sending unit (swapped oem one with the jy unit on jy assembly plus ebay pump now in tank) but so far only fuel level works .) Maybe im priming the pump wrong ?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:36 AM   #6
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,898, Level 99
Points: 28,898, Level: 99 Points: 28,898, Level: 99 Points: 28,898, Level: 99
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
No.... I personally don't trust aftermarket pumps. Motorcraft pumps have much longer lifetimes which makes that more expensive option on the front end much cheaper in the long run.

To test the inertia switch, just push the button down. If you think the switch might be the problem, remove the kick panel, unplug the switch, and bypass the the switch by bridging the two pins in the plug with a paperclip. Do not leave it like that under any circumstances. If the pump will not run with this switch plugged in, replace the switch before driving. Bridging the pins is only for testing purposes or emergencies.

I assume you changed the fuel filter and purchased one with the fuel pump. That will be necessary to return it. I saw the pic of it. Warranty information like that comes from experience since most people don't read that a filter must be purchased and installed at the same time as the pump. You should also replace the sock filter over the pickup. All the different things are why I now purchase a whole fuel pump assembly. Check prices at places like Rock Auto if you don't want to get one at a local parts store. It is much cheaper to buy complete assemblies at online parts stores.

If you are not getting 12v power to the fuel pump module with the key on, stop. You have problems elsewhere.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 585, Level 11
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
im going to check the relay today, brigde the inhertia and use my multimeter on the module, i will tell you guys how it went! thank you!!
Old 01-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 585, Level 11
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
so, if i bought a new fuel filter with the first jy pump, i have to put an entirly new fuel filter with the ebay fuel pump ? or its okay since i recently bought this one. I'm also gonna put fuel threw it before i accually try to filter with it.

i really cant spend anymore money on this is why im doing it myself, i went to buy a new relay for it, and there 25$.. i only want to spend more money if i know itll fix,
theres no warranitys on electrical items so i cant return the relay :/
Old 01-22-2015, 02:13 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 585, Level 11
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
yeahh it was my relay! as soon as i put the new one in, the pump pured like a kitten, i feel stupid for not checking it first, boy am i stupid haha
thanks guys!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #10
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,898, Level 99
Points: 28,898, Level: 99 Points: 28,898, Level: 99 Points: 28,898, Level: 99
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I wouldn't feel stupid. The reason he originally suggested that you swap the relay with another relay is because it is extremely rare that those go out. I've been working on vehicles for a very long time, and I can only recall a very few times when relays went bad. Timed relays- yes, but not simple switch relays. Therefore the best way to test before you buy is to simply swap the relay with another relay which you can test easily like a headlight relay. I would be more suspect of the wiring to the relay than the relay itself.

Glad it worked out for ya.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.