2002 Focus fuel pump strainer issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 208441
What I Drive: 2002 Focus

Points 40, Level 1
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 cv147 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2002 Focus fuel pump strainer issue

Hey,

I'm currently trying to fix a friend's 2002 Focus (zetec) with a manufacture date of 27/11/2001. I bought a Delphi pump (not the entire module assembly, part source stated this would work with both the early and late modules), and the strainers do not match. The one in the car is quite large, and sits vertically in the little bucket. The pump won't fit when using the strainer which came with it.

I'm really confused here because I can't find that large vertical strainer anywhere. Even a google image search shows nothing. The old one is filthy, and I'd rather not reuse it. It's like this filter doesn't exist anymore. I've attached pictures of the old strainer, new strainer, and the bucket.

Does the fuel pump itself vary from the early and late design, or is it just the module? What should I do about this pump strainer?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
2002 Focus fuel pump strainer issue-old-strainer.jpg  

2002 Focus fuel pump strainer issue-new-strainer.jpg  

2002 Focus fuel pump strainer issue-fuel-pump-bucket.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20772
What I Drive: 2002 SC Sonic Blue SVT

Points 3,439, Level 36
Points: 3,439, Level: 36 Points: 3,439, Level: 36 Points: 3,439, Level: 36
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 fast_ryda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cv147 View Post
Hey,

I'm currently trying to fix a friend's 2002 Focus (zetec) with a manufacture date of 27/11/2001. I bought a Delphi pump (not the entire module assembly, part source stated this would work with both the early and late modules), and the strainers do not match. The one in the car is quite large, and sits vertically in the little bucket. The pump won't fit when using the strainer which came with it.

I'm really confused here because I can't find that large vertical strainer anywhere. Even a google image search shows nothing. The old one is filthy, and I'd rather not reuse it. It's like this filter doesn't exist anymore. I've attached pictures of the old strainer, new strainer, and the bucket.

Does the fuel pump itself vary from the early and late design, or is it just the module? What should I do about this pump strainer?

Thanks!

So what you were sold was a kit for a module with Metal Rod Supports(Newer style) and you don't have the metal rod supports in your module. The strainer assembly is completely different. Even if you were able so somehow to jam the unit that you have now in the module the improper strainer would cause a fuel leak inside the module and not allow the jet system work properly.

Crummy thing is that no one sell the older style anymore. The only way for you to resolve this situation is to buy a module which is a newer style. Retrofit the tank (per Ford TSB) and install the new module. Retrofit need a special tool which requires some cutting.
2002 Sonic Blue SVT #2--K&N drop in--CFM HFC--2.5" Borla exhaust--VF trans mount.
SOLD2002 Sonic SVT
Old 12-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 40, Level 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Thanks for the reply! Is it possible to use the new fuel pump with the old strainer in the old module? I could thoroughly clean the strainer, although I know this isn't a great idea. The pumps look similar, although the new pump has a taller outlet.

I also went to a Ford dealership; they only sell the module. But they sell two of them, one before a certain date (which I can't precisely remember) in 2002, and one for after that date. I believe the old one was more expensive. Really not sure how to proceed here.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Points 3,439, Level 36
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
The dealer has two modules, one with metal support rods and one without...which is basically and older style and new.

You could try fitting the old strainer on there, just make sure it's very snug and has no way of falling off. I have seen shops do this by soaking it in SeaFoam and then blowing it out with compressed air.

Most of the time it's not an option because the strainer is either too dirty to clean or was broken upon removal.
2002 Sonic Blue SVT #2--K&N drop in--CFM HFC--2.5" Borla exhaust--VF trans mount.
SOLD2002 Sonic SVT
Old 12-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5, 09 Coupe

Points 13,466, Level 75
Points: 13,466, Level: 75 Points: 13,466, Level: 75 Points: 13,466, Level: 75
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%
FF Reputation: 29 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (46)
Moved to "General Technical Chat".
Old 12-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 40, Level 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
The old strainer will fit on the new pump, but I have a feeling that the new pump won't fit well in the old style module. I've attached a picture illustrating the difference in height of the pump outputs.

I also found this in another thread, username 'AMC49', which seems to indicate there isn't much point in trying to retrofit an old module with a new style pump:

"I just now changed one finally at around 200K miles, it had been cleaned once around 75K and ran fine until it just quit all at once. The other car still running after years with one cleanout done to it. I put a second design pump w/no module in the early module and can easily say DON'T TRY IT, the differences are many and if you think you are just going to cram it in there you will have a BIG surprise coming if you do. I had to change like 10 different things to do so, although mine runs fine. It is NOT a drop-in, no, no, no, it isn't."

I have a really hard time seeing why no one makes a pump which fits in the old module. I can understand why Ford only sells the new and improved module, but my friend isn't having any of the problems associated with the old modules; his pump is just dead. It's hard to believe I can't find the old pump and strainer as a unit anywhere. It would no doubt be good insurance to replace the whole unit, but that's an awfully big expense.

I'm a little nervous about cutting those tabs off myself (if we go that route), as I obviously don't have the correct tool. Perhaps my local dealership could quickly perform this service, especially if I purchase a $500 module from them.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Focus fuel pump strainer issue-pump-differences.jpg  

Last edited by cv147; 12-15-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: forgot picture!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Points 40, Level 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
More info:

The TSB says the part number for the updated module is 1M5Z-9H307-CA. I called a dealership, and this has been superseded by motorcraft PFS448. Now, I can get a complete gas tank with an updated module (1 year old) in a private sale, but the part number is 1M5U-9H307-CA. The only difference is the fourth character, Z vs. U. I tried to call another dealership (the first guys were closed) and see if this also leads to PFS448, but these guys "don't give out part numbers over the phone." How convenient. Anyway, this seems like it could be a great deal. The tank and fuel pump module are from a 2000 Focus.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Points 3,439, Level 36
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Getting an older unit is the best deal in your case. The reason no one makes it is because it was in circulation for such a short period of time. My work specializes in fuel pumps and the older pump is impossible to get by itself. All we can get is the newer style. When shops call us the only option they have is to switch to a newer style module and alter the tank to make it fit. Also when you get that new (used) tank, make sure to clean out the inside as good as possible, minor contamination will kill your pump over a short period of time.
SOLD2002 Sonic SVT
Old 12-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Points 40, Level 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Good explanation, thanks. Can you or anyone confirm about the parts number issue? From what I've read, that fourth character is just identifying the engineering department responsible for the design. Why there are basically two identical part numbers differing only by engineering number, I'm not sure. For what its worth, Z = Ford Division Service Parts and U = Special Vehicle Operations.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,827, Level 39
Points: 3,827, Level: 39 Points: 3,827, Level: 39 Points: 3,827, Level: 39
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 33 amc49 Great Standing Member
Here I am. I have a new style pump in old style module and can positively tell you they don't fit. I had to do several custom things to make mine work and out of the realm of normal doing that. The new style pump is too tall and too skinny and the top outlet must be shortened or output is blocked off at the top manifold. The top manifold is no longer on center with pump outlet since the top outlet center distance changed too. That twist out of center then lends itself to pump slowly shifting out of place in the bottom cup since not tight there correctly and pump simply falls over sideways to come loose from top manifold. Additionally, pump bottom does not work with the distances involved in the small cup recess in bottom of module. Both th new top and bottom rubbers are incorrect for the old module. The strainer itself is not an issue, I commonly clean them to use over but if you have no workable pump then issue is moot.

You need the later revised pump with spring loaded top and studs. Make it easy on yourself............last July I found a Spectra branded late module for $94 IIRC, I bought the late pump ONLY at $36 and ended up like $60-$65 by the time I completed mods on it to work right. A pain to do, I did it because I like challenge but don't recommend it to others. My other Focus will be getting the late module when that time rolls around.

When Ford did a recall over ethanol clogging the pumps they redesigned them and that redesign happened so early all pump makers dropped the early pump after making a few and went to the later since that is where the sales would be in the future. They saw no sense in making two part numbers that would only get confused by consumers to run their warranty issue out of sight, it is a huge problem already as it is with all the incompetents that cannot change pumps right. They commonly use one gallon of gas to get car up and running, the pumps run dry and tear up in 60 seconds or less like that. Warranty pump coming up! Ford themselves warrantied so many they couldn't count, why they went to another module, to recoup some of that loss. There was really nothing wrong with the early modules at all, I ran mine forever in two Focus cars after simply cleaning the strainers of the early ethanol crud, the industry started filtering the ethanol much better and now hardly any deposit in strainers at all. It was a FUEL problem but bit Ford hard and they decided to bite back with the revised module. We the consumer suffer once again.

I wouldn't worry about that one letter, the '00 tank will work in '02............what the two Focus I have are, I saw no difference in tanks. Modules fit other than that plastic ring which is not that hard to get off. All you are looking for is for pump to sit flat on tank floor. IIRC not all of the ring has to come off to get that, only the slotted areas that the early module snaps into. Maybe the raised ridge, looking at the expensive Ford ring cutting tool and what it would do.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.