Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SVT Switching to Synthetic Q's

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  WD40 
#1 ·
Post1:
Ok, so Im either gonna get Royal Purple, Amsoil or Mobil 1 in 5W-30 weight. 2 Questions...
1) Is there any way I can continue to have Ford do the oil changes if I bring them the oil?
2) Is 10,000 miles a good place to switch from motorcraft??

Post2:
Hey guys, I have about 10,200 miles on my baby right now and I want the best for her. So I want to switch to full synthetic oil.
If I am going with Royal Purple or Mobil 1, what kind do I get...just the stuff that is 5W-30 and says SAE on the back?? Thats issue one.
Issue two is this.
Last time I was at the dealer I asked about switching to full synthetic and they got real defensive with me about how the motorcraft oil IS a synthetic and how its what Ford recommends blablabla!
Anyway, that got me thinking that if I do have my synthetic oil put in by anyone else besides the dealer, they can void my warranty.
I would really just rather have the dealer do it, but judging from their reaction I dont know that they will. Advice/Comments/Guidance PLEASE!! Thanks.

EDITED by Moderator to include text from both threads

See less See more
#2 ·
"Is there any way I can continue to have Ford do the oil changes if I bring them the oil?"

Depends entirely on your dealer.

Some will, some won't.

But make sure if you use the Royal Purple or Amsoil, that it formally meets the Ford spec. If not, you will have documented an engine warranty killer.

#4 ·
Why would you even want you dealer to do it?

I can't stand the service at the dealership. they take forever, are overpriced, and many times incompetent.

I use mobil1 5w30, purchase my oil and a motorcraft filter at walmart for less than $25, then go to a local tire shop (Conrad's) where they do the oil change for me for 10bucks, I can watch them do it, and I get my 1/2qt extra back.

#5 ·
-->Why would you even want you dealer to do it?<--

Ill tell you why!! Because otherwise they can just go, "well we are very sorry your engine is having these problems, and we would like to fix it for you under warranty. But you see, our records show you did not have your regularly schedualed oil changes. So we are very sorry, but this will not be covered under warranty."

Thats Why!

#7 ·
As long as you save your receipts, and keep a good log-book for the oil changes,
the Dealer can NOT deny the Warranty work.
Just make sure the products you use meet Ford's specifications.
In addition, it'll also help if the brand and part numbers for the oil and oil filter are listed on the receipt as well.

As for oil weight on the SVTF, all years take 5W-30.
We don't really need to get into this again, but the oil weight issue always rears it's ugly head.
If you look in your SVT Supplement Manual, it will clearly state 5W-30.
Do not go by the oil weight listed in the regular Owners Manual which also comes with the car.

#10 ·
As long as the ratings are the same, there is no problem. Look at your owners manual and then go to the store and look at the oil. I personally use 5w-30 Mobil1 and get it changed at the dealer.
As far as your dealer there. It sounds like they're trying to scare you into getting the oil changed there. NO, Motorcraft is not all Synthetic. It needs to be requested or else they just put in normal Dino oil. Two, SVT and Ford DON'T Recommend Synthetic for the SVT. In fact, their supplemental states that Synthetic is a personal choice, etc...... read it and you'll see. three, I believe Havoline won the Ford oil contract last year so Ford actually uses Havoline motor oil and badge it as Motorcraft. And Four, every dealer I've been to doesn't even use Motorcraft for their synthetic oil. The've used either Mobil1 or Valvoline because it's cheaper. Good Luck.

#11 ·
So don't have the dealer do the oil changes... they usually suck at it anyway. I take mine to a well-known and reputable local mechanic for oil changes. I use Royal Purple 5W-30 and am pleased with it so far. My mechanic uses Mobil 1 synthetic. They take excellent care of my car, I get the extra oil back, and I even get a few compliments on what a cool car I have. Try to get that from a dealer. Last time I had a dealer oil change all I got was a mess - oil smudge on my fabric door panel and oily handprints all over everything the guy touched, and he spilled oil all over the exhaust so the car had smoke for days.

Keep the receipts from each oil change and if any issues arise you can prove that you did regular oil changes - as long as the oil you use meets specs I don't see how they could use it against you. As long as you don't buy the "race" version of Royal Purple you should be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.