P0171 on a 2.3 PZEV - Ideas? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 191737
What I Drive: 2003 silver ford focus zx3 pzev

Points 51, Level 1
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 rbaco Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
P0171 on a 2.3 PZEV - Ideas?

I have a 2003 ford focus zx3, 2.3l pzev, with184,000 miles on it and have taken really good care of it, just started to have a high idle, then sitting for a minute starts to sputter out, code says p0171, lean bank 1, which usually means a vacuum leak, if no obvious leaks...then O2 sensor or pcv problem? Having hard time finding where they are...on a pzev engine..anyone know much about this problem ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Hammer Down

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 14,453, Level 78
Points: 14,453, Level: 78 Points: 14,453, Level: 78 Points: 14,453, Level: 78
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 82 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Welcome to FF

Made this a thread of it's own, should help get some ideas & answers.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 09-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 51, Level 1
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
rubber side down?

Well, pcv valve is in the intake mani.....screaming right now... meineke is going to be the most reasonable....I will replace the o2 sensor, and install a k&n cold air. BUT...also going to buy an OBD2 so I can diagnose my own codes since it is 85.00 a pop when something
goes capooy. Wish they had more info on 2003 ford focus zx3 2.3 l PZEV engine diagrams
So I can identify the parts.... like when I sprayed Carb cleaner on a certain hose coming off the Mani....the idle instantly went up....well...what the heck is that hose and where in the Mani does it go?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #4
Hammer Down

Points 14,453, Level 78
Level Up 1% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Oh fun,

Forget where I moved this from, you had a good start on what to look at but I thought you might get replies by now - must have been lost in the shuffle.

Had a GREAT time replacing a small vacuum hose to the tumble flap actuator, I was actually quite happy when I'd isolated the problem as the guess was that the actuator itself was bad when sucking through the hose proved a vacuum leak....

Scanner saved the day with multiple resets 'till the problem got bad enough to present itself when stopped, not just rolling when I couldn't check it.

Hoses off the actuators on the manifold go to the tumble flap & IMRC actuators BTW, and get vacuum from the manifold ports in the front...

Don't know which hose you sprayed, but you've found your problem there. Just need to trace it & replace it as needed. Cut the bad part & put a junction there for a quick fix if you have to, that would work 'till the hose has another problem.

Cheers

S.R. #275
Old 09-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 51, Level 1
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Thank you sailor for the info, I don't mind working on things and getting my hands dirty but I got to admit that when it comes to these engines its....a " gotta remove this to get to that but disconnect all those to get to this then try and reach the actual part" sorta thing...lol all crammed in the little compartment syndrome. I love these engines and I love my car...next year will be doing a lot of modifications to this car ...going to take it down to meineke on diagnostic and Kevin will do the smoke test also before I really sink money into unnessesary parts. Thanks again...have a starting point for research on tumbler flap actuator and hose, went to auto zone to see if they could identify it and the said they think it was some kind of sensor.. but that was it...should a seen the look on my face....
Old 09-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 14,640, Level 78
Points: 14,640, Level: 78 Points: 14,640, Level: 78 Points: 14,640, Level: 78
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 71 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaco View Post
Thank you sailor for the info, I don't mind working on things and getting my hands dirty but I got to admit that when it comes to these engines its....a " gotta remove this to get to that but disconnect all those to get to this then try and reach the actual part" sorta thing...lol all crammed in the little compartment syndrome. I love these engines and I love my car...next year will be doing a lot of modifications to this car ...going to take it down to meineke on diagnostic and Kevin will do the smoke test also before I really sink money into unnessesary parts. Thanks again...have a starting point for research on tumbler flap actuator and hose, went to auto zone to see if they could identify it and the said they think it was some kind of sensor.. but that was it...should a seen the look on my face....
Like Roger said make sure the vacuum hoses don't have any leaks. As far as a senser= its more then likely the electronic vacuum switch, where you'll see 3 vacuum hoses & a electronic plug. At the top of the manifold you'll see 2 of them. One works the imrc & the other works the imtv.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 09-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Hammer Down

Points 14,453, Level 78
Level Up 1% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
I don't know if a "smoke test" will give you any more info. than you have now, they're best for something like the evap. system when you need to narrow down the area to inspect closer.

Your spray test showed the right area to check, look at the hose where you saw a result there first.

S.R. #275
Old 09-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
Focus Rookie

Points 51, Level 1
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
OK guys.....so I broke down and took it to my mechanic at meineke, had a diagnostic, smoke test and sensor test....I had called to get an estimate on the pcv valve and hose replacement from them at 198. To 212.00 is very fair... but what they concluded since everything else was fine, was the manifold gasket is torn, and since I am having them change the pcv and hose anyway...I went ahead and got the gaskets too before I knew they were torn. Lol not going to cost me that much, and get it fixed sat. Yayyyyy...I have a distinct feeling that they will also find the pcv and hose needed to be replaced also since my wonderful ford focus zx3 2.3 l pzev has a whopping 184,440 miles on it. Plan on keeping this car for at least 2 more years, so I will be modifying it. Thank you for the help
Old 09-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Points 51, Level 1
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Just wanted to throw in a funny story also...in my 3 week venture of trying to find THEE vacuum leak, I replaced fuel filter, which after a few days the clip broke and the hose was barely on there, try and find those clips at the part store....uhh nooooo, got them at hardware store and had to shave it down a little to fit. thought it was a hose that went to the purge valve canister which took the ford parts guy awhile to identify and several diagrams and several hmmmms..( I seriously dont like it when they hmmm) from the computer, so I ordered it and my son said he would put it on for me...nahhh I said "I can do it"...no he insisted....so as he is putting it on a little to forcefully..one of the plastic hose holders SNAPS right off leaving a hole bigger than my wide eyes and jaw drop. What to do what to do? Quickly I called my daughter to take me to several part stores which said I would have to order the purge valve canister, she thankfully works at summit racing so we travelled as quickly as we could as the day was quickly coming to an end...summit looked and looked and could not cross reference anything for pzev engines.. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH....pick and pull....after being there for a good hr, it was clear to see I will never be able to scrap anything for a pzev there..EVER, EVER.....my only way out of this mess was to order the part 81.00 and jbweld.....by the way...my new favorite glue and savior. I glued the holy b jesus out of it, hooked it back up and drove my car the next 4 days...thee end. Lessons I learned.....parts are hard to find for these engines, don't let my son touch my car anymore, dont assume that is what is wrong and replace unnecessary parts, don't let my son touch my car, take it for a diagnostic and I love jb weld.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #10
Hammer Down

Points 14,453, Level 78
Level Up 1% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Ouch

PZEV versions were sold in CA emissions states, so finding J/Y pieces where they aren't common would be difficult. A LOT is the same, but there are also a lot of specific items for the engine & fuel systems. PZEV also means zero emissions when stopped, so the fuel tank is steel instead of plastic on these - one of many variations. They're easiest to identify by the "lifetime" air filter assy., another odd feature.

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.