Ignition Turns but car won't start - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115048
What I Drive: 2009,Vista Blue SE

Points 1,122, Level 18
Points: 1,122, Level: 18 Points: 1,122, Level: 18 Points: 1,122, Level: 18
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Android Man Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ignition Turns but car won't start

Hi Guys!. here's my problem. I have a Focus 2009 that the ignition turns all the way but car won't start. the only way I can make the car start is if I push the key all the way in and while doing that turn the key. sometimes it takes several tries to start the car sometimes it start at the first try. I removed the cylinder and I think is beyond the cylinder. there is like a small rod that the cylinder needs to push in to engage the starting switch and that's where I think the problem is. Also, how can I disassemble the ignition so I can inspect the components beyond the cylinder?. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Android Man.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94974
What I Drive: 10 Focus coupe / 94 Lightning

Points 1,672, Level 23
Points: 1,672, Level: 23 Points: 1,672, Level: 23 Points: 1,672, Level: 23
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 popwarhomie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Been having the same problem for a while now in my 2010.Really starting to get annoying. I just searched google and came across this thread.

I made a thread a while back and got nothing..

Here is another recent thread.

Ignition Cylinder
Old 10-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 1,122, Level 18
Level Up 22% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwarhomie View Post
Been having the same problem for a while now in my 2010.Really starting to get annoying. I just searched google and came across this thread.

I made a thread a while back and got nothing..

Here is another recent thread.

Ignition Cylinder
I'm half way removing the switch assembly complete from my car. I think is in between the cylinder and the switch(which is in the back of the assembly). if I could disassemble the whole assembly I could figure it out. most likely I'll end up replacing the whole thing. will see... I'll keep you posted and thank you for your help.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46002
What I Drive: 2008 SE GRAY

Points 516, Level 10
Points: 516, Level: 10 Points: 516, Level: 10 Points: 516, Level: 10
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 autolite Good Standing Member
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...23#post4849323 read post 10 for the trouble shoot and part number to fix.I gave reps to this guy because I think his write up is saving lots of time and money.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 1,122, Level 18
Level Up 22% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I think I found what the problem is. pictures and explanation is coming in a few minutes.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 1,122, Level 18
Level Up 22% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Here's where I think is the problem. The Second picture I have not use the flash not to exceed the file resolution to upload. is of the whole switch assembly. the first one is the assembly plus the electric ignition switch separated from each other. that's the part that is failing in my opinion. the contacts internally are dirty or worn. If you look at the mechanical part of the assembly at the left, the little rod at the center turn the electric switch. so it it not a mechanical problem instead a electrical/mechanical problem in the ELECTRIC BLUE SWITCH. What do you guys think????????
Attached Thumbnails
Ignition Turns but car won't start-20131020_224534%5B1%5D.jpg  

Ignition Turns but car won't start-20131020_224329%5B1%5D.jpg  

Old 10-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Points 1,122, Level 18
Level Up 22% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I found it at AutoZone for $21.99. tomorrow will buy and install and do a follow up....
Old 10-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110130
What I Drive: 1996 Corvette LT4 Convertible

Points 297, Level 5
Points: 297, Level: 5 Points: 297, Level: 5 Points: 297, Level: 5
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 TiIngot Good Standing Member
There is a second possible problem and you are almost there. Please read the following that I copied from another post..........

Just wanted to pass this along. I spent the last two days trouble shooting/repairing my daughters car. It was taking multiple times to turn the key to get the starter to energize. At first it happened once in a while. Over time the problem became more frequent. She let it go too long and finally called Dad when the ignition failed to energize the starter at all.

The Focus is a 2008 SE bought new with 77,000 miles on it now. I believe this is the first year for the newer body style. She has a sales route with frequent stops and starts her car 30 to 40 times daily so her starting system gets much more cycle time than a normal car.

First, the starter was removed and checked out OK. The starter relay was switched and OK. The neutral safety switch (is a multi function switch) is located on the side of the trans at the shift linkage lever was not touched except to pull the plug, clean and replace.

The starter switch is located on the left side of the steering column directly behind the turn signal switch, it was replaced $43, still no start with the key. (I learned after to remove the starter switch but keep the wires plugged into it. Turn the key to run, insert a screw driver into the starter switch turn it all the way and the car would start.)

The key tumbler felt Ok but it was removed and taken to a locksmith who verified it was OK. However he informed me that a local repair shop had just had the same problem last week and the shop came to them. The locksmith worked on a new cylinder for the shop but that did not fix their problem either.

Since the repair shop was just down the road as I stopped to talk to them. They told me last week they did everything I did on a Ford Escape and finally had to replace the lock housing assembly that wraps around the steering column just behind the turn signal assembly. The lock housing assembly holds the key cylinder on the right and the starter switch on the left and also helps the steering wheel to lock when removing the key.

For just under $150 I ordered the lock housing assembly (part # 9L8Z-3511-A for auto trans AS4Z-35111A for manual)) from the Ford dealer. It comes with the starter switch installed (now I have three of them)but you must use your old keys and lock cylinder. The replacement lock housing assembly can be installed without removing the steering wheel. Here is how....

Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Remove the steering columns, top and bottom cover and the drivers knee panel under the dash.
Unplug the starter switch on the left side of the column.
Remove the security ring from around the key tumbler by unsnapping it from the housing. Electrical is done.

Three small bolts hold the lock housing onto the turn signal assembly. One bolt is on top, one on the bottom left and one on the right/front. You must use your key to unlock the steering column and turn the wheel to the right to allow access the right/front bolt. If you have one a 1/4" drive swivel will help. Remove all three.

Last, on top of the steering column you will notice an aluminum collar that holds the lock housing assembly in place. On the right side of this collar it is bolted to the steering column by only one anti-theft bolt without a head. (The head of the bolt is gone, designed to break off at the factory when installed for anti-theft reasons so normal tools cannot be used to remove it.) Ours had yellow paint on it. Use a small, very sharp chisel to tap the side of the bolt counter clockwise to loosen it and take it out. DO NOT LOSE IT! You cannot get a replacement.

You should be able to lift up the aluminum collar and remove the old housing assembly.

Use your existing keys you must remove the old lock cylinder tumblers from the housing assembly. Put the key into the lock cylinder and turn them one notch only, to the accessory position. On top of the cylinder is a small hole. Put a small torx socket (or nail) in it, push down, pull on the key to remove the tumbler cylinder from the old housing. Put the old tumbler in the new lock housing assembly.

OK, reverse everything and you are done. The hardest part of reassembly was getting the bottom steering column cover back on. I ended cutting a slot on the bottom of it to get it around the steering wheel tilt lever.

I did not find any information on this problem in my internet searches. However, I feel that as these cars age, over time many others will be having the same starting problems caused by the internal moving parts of the linkage within this housing wearing and getting sloppy. The linkage gets loosen up enough that when you turn the key on the right side, the starter switch on the left does not quite make contact to start.

Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by TiIngot; 10-24-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Points 1,122, Level 18
Level Up 22% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Bought today the housing and the switch for $65. on Wednesday or Thursday I get them. LET'S GET THE BEER READY!!!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110130
What I Drive: 1996 Corvette LT4 Convertible

Points 297, Level 5
Points: 297, Level: 5 Points: 297, Level: 5 Points: 297, Level: 5
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 TiIngot Good Standing Member
Just curious, where did you get the housing AND ignition switch for $65? I thought the housing, which came with the ignition switch, was a Ford dealer only part for around $150!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.