Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Focus Sport SCT Chip Problem. Will they correct it?

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  microtonal 
#1 ·
I've had a sputter in my car durring acceleration and shifting at lower RPM's ever since i put in my Focus Sport SCT Chip. I thought that maybe the plugs and wires needed to be changed due to the advanced timing, so I did that. Was still there. Tried new factory plugs and wires and it's still there. Could the clutch be slipping? No that's not it either.

After a lot of searching, troubleshooting, and imput from all great focus enthusiasts I finally pulled the chip out and TA DA. Sputtering is now gone and feels like i have more power. I am going to email Focus Sport tonight and call them in the morning to see if they are going to compensate in any way. Hopefuly they will reprogram it at no charge. the only program I have on it is to disable the second O2 sensor.

I have heard that other people have had this problem with their Focus Sport SCT Chip. If anyone else has had this problem please let leave your feedback and let me and the others who are having this problem know how Focus Sport treated you. I just think that as much as we spend on the chip it should perform as expected. Thanks.

#2 ·
I was one of the testers for the SPI SCT chip and have had no problems whatsoever. None, Nada, Zip. Most problems are due to not getting all the potting off the circuit board or improper cleaning. FS will tell you te reclean the contacts first. When you clen them, only go until the contacts get SHINY. If you go until the contacts get COPPER, then you'll have to resolder the contacts to build them up again. This is a painstaking task, so I cannot stress enough to be gentle when you clean the contacts.

I do not know your mechanical ability, and I do not infer you can't install your chip, but MOST of the problems with the SCT or any chip in general is improper installation.

Now if you get to the point where the contacts are clean and you still have problems, then contact FS and they will take care of you. Until you have checked everything out you'll be wasting your time calling or e-mailing FS, as they will tell you just what I have.

#3 ·
the directions for cleaning the contacts say to clean em until they have a coppery tinge to em, which is what I did, and I have the same sputtering problem at low rpm in first gear. I'm gonna pull out the chip and check later, but for now I'll let it sit.

#4 ·
spikNspan DAN said:
the directions for cleaning the contacts say to clean em until they have a coppery tinge to em, which is what I did, and I have the same sputtering problem at low rpm in first gear.

That is exactly what the instructions say, and that too is what I did. I'll take another look at the computer but I did follow the instructions as they were given to me. I'll have to call and verify it with Focus Sport in the morning.

#5 ·
Ok. Just finished another test run with the chip in. Sputter, sputter, sputter. Re-cleaned the contacts on the computer and still the same outcome. I'll see what Focus Sport has to say in the morning.

#6 ·
Just got off the phone with Focus Sport and told them what was goin on, and thati had recleaned the contacts. They said to send it in and they would take care of it. So I'll send it off and see what happens.

#7 ·
i have the same problem and they said that it could be that the stumble could have always been there but with the chip that i notice it more. They said that the chip would magnify an ignition problem if I had one, but seriosly if they fix it let me know. It's annoying somethings. But i did the same stuff you did except for cleanning the contacts again. If the chip wasn't making a good connection then it wouldn't be working. It's that simple.

#9 ·
I had the SCT chip at one point and installed it 100% correctly and it just didn't work for me. All types of things weren't right. In the end Randy just refunded my money with no hassles. I don't think the SCT will work on EVERY car out there. Most maybe but not all. I was proof of that.

#10 ·
What is your code on your computer? Maybe that has something to do with it.

#11 ·
I don't remember at the moment what my code was (if you're talking to me btw) but Randy said that my code should be fine and they had it listed and everything. Just didn't work out. And some of the things he told me were weird. Like when I told him my car shifts at 6000 RPM's at WOT (It's an auto) he thought something was wrong with it. And he gave me some sort of very weird explanation as to how the Focus should shift which didn't sound right. My car has shifted the same for 14K miles now. And I told him to keep my REV limiter stock and next thing I know I'm shifting at 7000 RPM's. Not right. Car didn't run right in ANY octane gas. Didn't notice a difference with the Alternator cutting off feature. Car ran faster and MUCH smoother without the chip. Felt no difference between 87 or 93 octane. My trans would shift weird with the performance shift feature. Too much line pressure me thinks.

And all this is not a bitching session. I got my money back and I thanked Randy and Focussport VERY much and it's now over with. My point is it just didn't work out for me and I followed all directions to the T. Who knows maybe it was something with my car. I mean it does have it's minor quibbles (<--new word) here and their but I don't think that was it.

#12 ·
I've heard people having issue with chips and everytime that I've heard of chip related issues, it came down to the EEC contacts.

The only way to be certain that you got all the clear insulator crap off the contacts is to ohm out each finger contact and make sure you have continouity from the front to the back of the finger contact.
Otherwise, you are only assuming that you have everything cleaned off by performing a visual inspection.

That's why it's recommeded that you have it professionally installed unless you can properly verifiy that the contacts are indeed free of insulation and all chip finger/connector makes contact with the EEC.

They should come out with a safe solvant to remove the insulation to aleviate this install issue that's been going on since the chip came out.

#13 ·
I should have clarified earlier, i have a valet mode on my chip so i know mine is working when i can't go faster than 30mph in that particular mode. I can switch between my programs and notice a slight difference when I have it performance mode to my stock mode. I don't have enough mods yet to really notice a big difference. My computer code is LUY2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.