End of my rope with a high idle problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115233
What I Drive: 2000 Black SE VIN:3

FF Reputation: 1 dalafar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
End of my rope with a high idle problem

Hello, thanks for looking over my post
So my car is a 2000 focus SE with zetec motor a few weeks ago I went away for a week on busness and while I was gone I had some custome sub enclosures put in when I got back the car was acting strange and got worse . the timeing could be just a coinsidance but would rather give to mutch information then not enuff. so the car is trying to idle at 1500rpm this some times happens when your first starting but happens more then the car is warmend up. I have read numerus posts and tried replacing quite a few parts on my own but this has not resolved the issue . I have a diablosports chip and have tried with the chip out a few times and that makes no difrence. ( well over then the lack of go without it in )when it is high idleing if you put it in nutral it revs up to 2-3k on it's own then drops to normal idle 850rpm. I have been struggleing on this for a few weeks and tried eveything from any related post and am just stuck so created a form account and thoght I would ask for help.used carb cleaner on TB and MAF cleaner on the MAF. I have replaced my IACV with a new BWD one and as it didn't solve I exchanged it after also replacing the TPS with a new BWD one for a 2003 ATX. I had an after market TB so was able to just cut the wires and add the new pig tail and use the 2003 position on the TB. I have used a can and a half of carb cleaner looking for a leek with nothing. replaced the PCV and then the PCV hose incase it was colapsing but no luck. and yesterday I found a post that recomended replasing the O2 sensor so I tried that as almost eveything else is changed.I have a wifi obd2 that I connect to my phone just got in the middle of this. it don't have alot of info but here is some of what it shows when high idleing.
1485rpm
0 mph
-13.48 inHg Vacuum estimation
1.40 lb/min maf sensor
10.2% throttle position - this is around 9.8% now after touching things a few times
the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 bounses from 0.04 to .85 averaging .40v
bank1 sensor 2 O2 from .06 to .71 average .51v
14.0 vehicle voltage
16.2 manafoild absolute pressure
short term fuel trin from -7 to 7 average -0.1%
long term 9.4% to 2.3% average 6.9% ( the computer has been reset like 20+ times in the last few weeks)
16.2 inHg estimated MAP method A

at this point I am ready to just take it into a dealer to have them look but with the time and effort and $$$ I alwredy put in that would feel like a personal falure at this point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

Points 9,450, Level 65
Points: 9,450, Level: 65 Points: 9,450, Level: 65 Points: 9,450, Level: 65
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Damn. I was gonna say vac leak (I'm having the same issue), but if you sprayed all around and didn't notice anything...

Did you go nuts with a visual inspection yet?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

I have used can and a half of carb with no change in rpm.
over the weeks I have done inch my inch visual and ear inspection with nothing sticking out.
I did remember 1 more thing when it is idleing high the is a wistleing nise comming from the intake. it is an AEM short intake.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

O and one other thing that I did that I also just remembers ( so mutch that some sliped my mind I guess) is that I removed hand valc tested and carb cleaned out the EGR with no change it looked like it was working fine.

One big thing that points away from vacume leak is that when you put it into nutral how it rev's very high then drops to proper idle
Old 05-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 6,091, Level 50
Points: 6,091, Level: 50 Points: 6,091, Level: 50 Points: 6,091, Level: 50
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 54 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Getting extra air somewhere, you can't high idle without it. Unmetered air duct leak? I'd start killing known idle air like PCV and IAC and TB aircrack and if still idling high then you got a vacuum leak, regardless of how many spray cans you used.

Did they mess with dash when speakers done? Vacuum hose to say HVAC broken or left off? I'd block off any EVAP and vacuum supply hose going into firewall looking for a leak.

Check the TPS output for just under one volt at idle and 4 volts plus at wide open throttle. Many of the TPS percentages I've seen read more like 19% at idle normally.

Normal idle vacuum is higher than 13.5 Hg, closer to 18-20, but the possible extra airleak may be modifying that.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

I took the car to ford and they said low vold TPS and wanted 600 to change out throttle body and tps before they went any further. so I put my old TPS back on and it works at proper voltage but after paying 102 for 4 min's work I definetly do not want to go back to ford.
I tried a new MAF but that didn't fix anything.
I took the car to firestone and they said with the sires spliced to the TPS they didn't want to try and diagnose cause they felt the chance of incorrect diag was higher, they did a vac/presure test and said it passed.
when it is high idleing the MAF sense a big increase in air 1485rpm to 1.4 lb/min compared to 890rpm at 0.4 lb/min to and the is a noise comming from the intake when it is high idleing like a deep his.
if it is hight Idleing and I go to nutral it revs up to 3k for a breek moment mostly some times hangs there a second or 2 then drops to normal idle. when I put it into drive is stays low till I give it gas.
I look at the tps and the throttle blade is definetly closing properly.
I checked the vaccume lines again and the only issue I found was the evap canister purge vac line dose not hold any vaccume. I can not find any info on if that is normal or not. but if I pull the vac line and plug the port on the intake my issue dose not go away. 1 other thing is when I disconnect the evap canaster electrical connector I don't get a check engion light and was kind of expecting one.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2007 white ZX3

Points 2,941, Level 33
Points: 2,941, Level: 33 Points: 2,941, Level: 33 Points: 2,941, Level: 33
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 18 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalafar View Post
and the is a noise comming from the intake when it is high idleing like a deep his
sounds like a vacuum leak, they can be a pain to find, good luck
I would start with all rubber hoses connected to manifold vacuum.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 12 Outback

Points 11,265, Level 70
Points: 11,265, Level: 70 Points: 11,265, Level: 70 Points: 11,265, Level: 70
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Change your TB gasket. That's where I am with my high idle issue. From talking with another member that is what caused his issue which is exactly the same as mine is and sounds similar to what you have going on. I tried the trick of spraying crap around and never got a change in the rpms.

2012 Subaru Outback 6 speed manual - current DD
Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

I have TB gasket on order , it is a focus central TB so had to order online.
some questions I have 1 can anyone tell me if the small vacumme line on the evep canaster purge is supose to hold vacuume when it is off . the smallest line of the 3. also one thing that that makes me leep not thinking it is a vacumme leek is that the MAF reads more air by a more than margonal increase to the rpms if it was a leak it would show less of an increase and changing to neutral would not remove an air leak.
I have pulled all the vac lines and only the evap dose not hold vac.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Well I got the new gasket in and changed and that did not fix the issue.
the old one looked to be in good condition.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.