Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Electrical problems: Windshield wipers don't work at all speeds.

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  KyleRC 
#1 ·
The first setting that allows you to make fine speed adjustments to the wipers does nothing. The following fast and super fast settings work. What would be the problem there?

Rear windshield wiper does not work at all when you attempt to use it.

And the rear defroster does nothing with pushed.

Could these all be related? I've checked the main fuse box and all are good. I am definitely not an electrical guru. These issues were present when I bought the car used a few years ago.

#2 ·
I had all these problems too. Tell me when this happens do you have use of your turn signals, your heated rear window, or the door auto-lock function fail to work?

Well I'll tell you I HAD these problems. I changed the (i think it's called the "Big 3) wires from the battery to the alternator, engine ground to battery, and chassis ground to battery. It cost me about $14 in parts, and I had a friend solder the wires into the terminals for me. All 3 wires were BAD corroded.

I couldn't figure out what it was for the longest time, Ford told me that maybe my GEM Module had gone bad. I started experiencing horrible battery drain. Even just parked overnight and then starting the next day was an ordeal. Once I changed those wires, no more battery drain either and the flickering of the headlights and dash lights got WAY better.
So I would change those, it is the cheapest fix to a potentially expensive problem.

#6 ·
First to check/replace is the wiper relay. If the relay doesn't improve anything the control stick switch assembly needs replacing.
Wiper relay isn't the issue for the front OR rear wipers. Even with the relay out the settings on the front wipers work the same. It's just the slow speed that does nothing.

Wiring under the hatch is good to the rear wiper. That wire is kicking out a constant 12v. Rear wiper does nothing when switched on. No noises. Pure silent nothing.

And the rear defroster doesn't do a thing either. When you push the button it doesn't even light up.

For some reason I think these all could be related?

#8 ·
Already checked this the other day. Wires are good. The rear wiper is getting 12v. So power doesn't appear to be the issue. The voltage is constant to the wiper wire regardless if the setting is selected on the control stick or not. No wiper movement. No clicks. Nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.