04 ZX3 A/C Orifice tube replacement - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92689
What I Drive: 2003 focus

Points 179, Level 3
Points: 179, Level: 3 Points: 179, Level: 3 Points: 179, Level: 3
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 rampcrawler Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
04 ZX3 A/C Orifice tube replacement

A/C not working have 2 cans of 134R in and the copressure won't turn on. With that I let a little pressure out of the low side and the compresor wanted to turn but for only 2 seconds. I let a little more out and the same thing click on and then off. Then I realized there wasn't any pressure in the low side. so I'm only guessing its the orifice tube, could be the presure sensor also. Just real need any pic of the location of the tube. Any advice would help THANKS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 4,146, Level 40
Points: 4,146, Level: 40 Points: 4,146, Level: 40 Points: 4,146, Level: 40
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 34 amc49 Great Standing Member
Nothing personal dude but with the skills you display in post you would be far better off taking car somewhere to get fixed. Probably not orifice tube at all. Running for 2 seconds says you still have no refrigerant in it, or big fat leak, and now it sounds like you want to make another one. You probably just wasted 2 cans of refrigerant.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,445, Level 99
Points: 29,445, Level: 99 Points: 29,445, Level: 99 Points: 29,445, Level: 99
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That might be it. You might want to read up on how AC systems operate before continuing as it could also be a bad compressor. First off, how are you measuring pressure? If you're not using a gauge, then you're making a mistake. If you've tried dumping refrigerant into a system that is not leaking, then your compressor is probably not staying on because the high pressure switch is preventing you from exploding the system or blowing the compressor out. People who tell you to "add a can" any time the system isn't cooling are not giving you good advice. Pressure is directly related to temperature, and therefore if you add too much refrigerant you are making your AC hotter.

Replacing the orifice tube is going to require the system to be discharged. You should currently have high pressure- somewhere about 20 psi higher than ambient temp. For example, if your ambient temp is 80F, then I'd expect to see static pressure (compressor off) at 80-100 psi. This reading can be taken from either the high or low side because once the compressor stops- both sides equalize.

Yes replacing the orifice tube is a good thing if your system is old and it hasn't been replaced. The way to DIY this is to disassemble the system, replace all the O-rings ($30 including tool), flush the lines with AC system cleaner or mineral spirits using compressed air, replace the accumulator ($80), replace the orifice tube ($4), and then vacuum test the system's integrity.

Read this : General AC Troubleshooting and Repair
There are pictures of where the orifice tube is on Focis in that thread. The specs for the 05-07 Focus are the same as the 03. You should charge by pressure not volume. When you reach 35-40 psi with the compressor on- stop charging. I would replace the accumulator only when you are ready to vacuum test the system, and then charge immediately after the system integrity is verified.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 4,146, Level 40
Points: 4,146, Level: 40 Points: 4,146, Level: 40 Points: 4,146, Level: 40
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 34 amc49 Great Standing Member
Gonna put this out there for what it's worth.

If you have not blown compressor or torn it up physically, then orifice tube is generally OK. I never once found a plugged one in normally running systems. A wee bit of trash maybe, but nowhere near plugged. Now, if you've lost say a bearing inside compressor then yes, change it. Not vacuuming down can easily get water droplets that freeze to block orifice when they go across it, that's fixable by vacuuming.

I personally feel not necessary to change them, I've never done one on my stuff. Just flushed backwards on the ones I couldn't get to, worked fine.

Not saying it's guaranteed, but since this is a percentage bet thing, take it for what it's worth.

The rebuilt compressor market started requiring orifice and dryer changes for warranty in an attempt to recoup losses from mis-installed compressors and all the other goofy thing the unlearned do out in the field. Most of the actually torn up compressors I warrantied had a reason, and it walked on two legs. Many returns had nothing wrong with them at all, or the hairless ape again.

I'd be reading the highside to avoid wasted work and dollars. Tell you in a second.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,445, Level 99
Points: 29,445, Level: 99 Points: 29,445, Level: 99 Points: 29,445, Level: 99
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'll stick by what I've always said: replace the orifice tube every time the system is discharged. Depending on where you purchase it the cost ranges from $1-4. Here is a pic of your average orifice tube. I have seen these much worse than this especially after compressor failure.

Is that the problem this person is experiencing? I don't know. There's not enough information here to decide if it's a bad compressor, leak or simply a controls problem.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 81053
What I Drive: 2003 Silver LX

Points 720, Level 14
Points: 720, Level: 14 Points: 720, Level: 14 Points: 720, Level: 14
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mialtin Good Standing Member
Hi guys, any tips on how to access the orifice tune in a 03 focus? I know where it is but it seems like it is hard to even get to, never mind replacing it. I can basically touch it but as far as putting any tools to loosen it, I am out of hope for now. I could try to go from under the car, but I would need a lift and it seems even harder I think. It seems like it takes a 17 or 18 mm wrench but there is room only to fit my hand. I moved some things out of the way, but to not much avail.
Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60954
What I Drive: 98 ZX2 / 01 ZX3

Points 661, Level 13
Points: 661, Level: 13 Points: 661, Level: 13 Points: 661, Level: 13
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Mellowness65 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I personally accessed it from the bottom, one side is a 19mm, the other is a twentysomething, I used an adjustable wrench for it. I remember I unplugged the alternator, but I can't remember if it was to have more access for that or for pulling the lines, I did both.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 215033
What I Drive: 2007, green, se

Points 12, Level 1
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 rinehart89 Good Standing Member
any one no were the orifice tube is on a 2007 ford focus, also when I turn on the a/c should both fans run or just 1 of them
Old 06-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
Hammer Down

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 16,870, Level 83
Points: 16,870, Level: 83 Points: 16,870, Level: 83 Points: 16,870, Level: 83
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 93 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Should be in the same area, and always both fans at once.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 06-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 215033
What I Drive: 2007, green, se

Points 12, Level 1
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 rinehart89 Good Standing Member
k 1 fan isn't kicking on but I do get voltage there when I turn on the ac/ to max so sounds like I have a fan out will this keep it from cooling, I also drove it down the road doesn't seem to cool of any more my pressures seem good around 38 low and 325 high I am in south Carolina the hells gate state it was feels like 107 today with the humidity

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.