Focus Fanatics Forum banner

opinions on parts car

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  calebstubstad 
#1 · (Edited)
okay, so I found a lady selling a focus with 140k on a zetec engine with 5 speed mtx75 rebuilt 3k ago. she hit a guard rail at 40mph. the engine runs and everything seems to be okay, as said by her mechanic brother. he recently puy 1000 in parts into the car at the same time as the tranny (1000 worth of parts as he did it at no charge, timing belt done at that time). the car is 3 hours away form me ATM, but I have family about 10 mins away from it, that could do some checking if i asked. she wants 800 for the whole thing. I have been looking for a zetec with mtx75 to swap out my spi, and i think I hit gold on this. I just want to ask you guys what you think. lots of pics to come. both cars are 2000's so it should be almost direct swap. the only known issues are a coolant leak (coolant tank is empty, probably due to the radiator being smashed to pieces), and the power steering pulley is bent (easy fix i think? 13 bucks on ebay). other than that, other issues are pointed out by pics but I don't think they'd affect anything.

rear pass side bent control arm:

front pass side wheel area

more front pass side, axle looks ok

windshield

front:

engine

front side engine damage?

interior, damnit it doesnt have a tach

rear pass side damage, thinks the wheel is bent but not 100%

thanks for the help guys. let me know if you see anything else.

two more pics because no such thing as too many

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I can't see pics, but if it has good tires that there is about half the price! I think 140k for a zetec is fine, mines running perfectly at 121k and it sounds like she got her 120k matenence in for you already... I say it's a good deal, really, you'd have a spare fuel pump, door looks and everything [thumb]

#5 ·
Sounds like the way to do it, having both cars side by side to get all the pieces you need is a LOT better than trying to guess all that's needed from a junkyard pull.

(Computer, keys, wiring - all the "little things" that might be missed)

Many times a swap like this gets to the end and there's an 'Oh Bleep" moment when the realization comes that the keys weren't included, and it'll take a tow to a Dealer to have keys programmed to try starting it....

Check the Engine & Transmission Swap area for detailed info. from those who've done it before. No-one who hasn't can remember the fine points to make it go smoother just from reading it in the past...

Luck!

#7 ·
Hm, I never realized the focus came with 2 alloy options... Maybe the sedans had different alloys?

Anyway, I don't think the the engine is damaged any, it is possible the header got cracked... but it doesn't look like it smashed in THAT much...Do it!

Took me about 2 minuets to figure out what was wrong with the bumper, and then I realized it was just that it didn't have fogs, lol... [?|]

And does it have the dark charcoal interior!? Heck I'd almost buy it just for that xD

#8 ·
Those ARE nicer looking 15" wheels, aren't they? Later model version AFAIK.

The header heat shield cracking from fatigue seems quite common, from the appearance of the front I doubt the header was damaged. None of the pics. show the exhaust well enough to be sure....

#9 ·
See if you can get it for $500.-$600. as you'll have to tow it. Whatever the brother put in, doesn't matter, thats what a insurance company is going to think. The insurance company probably already paid her off & she bought it back for 2-3 percent. Hold out 5 franklins & see if she grabs them.

#11 ·
That's my plan. On CL the listing was 500 for engine n tranny though. Im going to try at 6 and see what happens. Appears to have darker interior which I might steal as well ad those wheels. Almost like them more than my zx3/zts 16's

#13 ·
bump
she just got a hold of me again, she's desperate to sell. she said 500 cash takes it as long as I can get it soon. obviously she hasn't gotten many offers recently. Only problem is I work every weekend to go see it. i'll have to roadtrip one of these days to check it out and hopefully come back with it. also, my car threw a P0304 #4 misfire last week and is acting super funny. bogged down, all that stuff. really making me nervous, to say the least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.