Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Oil leak - Crank shaft seal

27K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  pbfoot 
#1 ·
Brought the car ('10 SE) in for an oil leak.

Dealership called me today to tell me they have to order parts to replace the crank shaft seal to stop oil leak. ("Please come pick up your car - and bring it back next week; it is fine to drive for now").

I searched the forum and found no other threads listing this as an issue with the Focus. I am bit frustrated, as I have put less than 800 miles on this car since purchase; car itself has 26,010 miles on it.

Has anyone else ever had this issue?
What would cause this to happen(at such low mileage)?

#2 ·
Strange one, I would wonder if the car sat unused for a year or more before you bought it. (without being run at all) Only possible cause I could think of.

Hope it was purchased at that dealer (warranty).

Luck!

#3 ·
for only 26k on it and the crank seal being gone makes me think that it hasnt been run in a long time like above mentioned over a year or so....i hope your not paying a dime for this

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I did purchase it at the dealership, so has bumper to bumper warranty until June 30th of this year.

They said it was covered...whew! Do I dare ask what this would cost if it was not covered?

#6 ·
Depends which end was leaking as to how much work needed, lots either way!

Trans. end, it's pull the trans. - clutch - flywheel just for access for example.

Dealer warranty on a used car is well worth buying it that way for anything other than a "beater". I'd hate to pay the big $ for a fairly "new" car then have to fix a major issue.

#7 ·
My rear main seal blew out at 57k. I was pretty modded and had recently ran the PCV to a vented catch can which may have caused it

I agree it isn't common at all on here, but on the bright side your car should still be under the powertrain warranty from Ford.

#8 ·
Thanks everybody.

Unfortunately things got worse... [:(]

Drove to dealership to pick up my car until parts come in. Leave in my car and attempt to use vent/AC (as I just had windows tinted & cannot roll them down)... It only blows air out defrost, no matter which button you push.

They (Ford) tried to diagnose while I was there. When they hooked up computer, it said it needs new actuator and that the acuator door was missing..?

So, they kept my car and ordered another box of parts. Starting to lose my faith in my purchase(these are not my first issues, more like 4th & 5th issues) which sucks, as my first Focus seemed indestructible. Hopefully it's free & clear of trouble after this.

#9 ·
That's no fun...

Computer can't "see" the door, someone must have looked if a part is actually missing...

An odd issue or two can happen, once a new owner puts some miles on and finds what the dealership missed. Many issues? That would imply they didn't look it over as close as they could have...

All you can do now is check it over thoroughly, make your list, and get it fixed up right while all the "nits" are still covered. At that point you should be good to go.

Luck!

#10 ·
An update-

I have not seen my car or heard from the dealership in 10 days, so I thought I should call them. (Plus, I am starting to fall in love with this Fusion loaner car they gave me - dammit! [8D] )

Here is what I was told-

Dealership:
"Things took a turn for the worst yesterday. The mechanic installed the seal and put the engine back together, but the timing was off. We broke 8 valves, damaged all 4 pistons, and wrecked the head."

Me:
"Um, that's unfortunate....." (I mean, I am kind of speechless at this point).

Dealership (Service Manager):
"Well, apparently, due to engine changes over the years, there is no longer a mark on the camshaft for 2010 & later models as there was on the earlier ones. I contemplated for about 5 minutes on the issue, and trying to fix it was no longer an option. We ordered a new engine from Ford, they are installing it as we speak. That $12 crankshaft seal got really expensive on our end."

Me:
"Wow, yeah, that did get expensive. Thanks for ordering a new engine, guess I'll have to break that in huh?"

Dealership:
"Yep, we should have it all done tomorrow, we'll call you."

So, I guess I have a 2010 Focus with 26,000 miles on the car and ZERO on the engine - THANKS FORD!

#12 ·
Oh, I have no doubts that some sh!t hit the fan at the dealership after this happened. [scream][scream][scream][scream]

My question now is: did I get the 2010 era 140hp engine, or the new 160hp version currently available? I'm hoping for the latter! [hihi]

Guess I'll have to wait and find out at the dealership when it's complete.

#13 ·
After that I'd be crawling all over that car to verify they actually changed the engine. Been told that by Ford before and guess what? Same old one just fixed. In fact, I've been told they pulled all 4 doors to realign them for wind noise, changed windshield because a leak leaking water on PCM, reworked seat harnesses when electric seat quit, balanced all 4 tires when car ran like a swiss watch, could not see the road at 50 mph after they did it, car shaking so hard. All when I complained about driver window not working on a three day old car, a simple fuse issue. They manufactured all the other complaints out of thin air and even showed up with a work order signed by me, which I had never seen before, of course the signature was nothing like mine. Ford at its' best. You should have heard me screaming that day. None of the other issues I had ever complained about, still wonder to this day just what the heck they were doing. Dealer feeding off corporate for warranty work my guess. They kept the car for almost 4 weeks. Now when they mention warranty at a new car purchase I just laugh at them. Not now and not ever again.

#14 ·
Sorry to hear about your bad experience amc49.

I am trying to have more faith in my dealership; mostly because they know that I will crawl all over/under the car as soon as I get it back. Plus, I have a list of questions for them about the new engine, how it changes my warranty, etc, etc..

The service manager and I will be having a meeting before I even accept my keys back to discuss things. (First on why I was not contacted immediately after it happened and notified - instead of me calling the dealership on my own for a status update and finding out).

#15 ·
As I commented above, it did bother me that I was not contacted immediately after my engine was imploded by the dealership. It does make me question their integrity just a bit. [paranoid] So I decided maybe a call directly to FORD to verify what I am being told might not be a bad idea.

I just got off the phone with Ashley @ FORD (great customer service rep!), and although it took a bit of time, she was able to verify factually that a new engine is indeed being installed. [:D]

#22 ·
...I just got off the phone with Ashley @ FORD (great customer service rep!), and although it took a bit of time, she was able to verify factually that a new engine is indeed being installed. [:D]
Hi DerrekForreal,

Thanks for keeping us updated on the status of your Focus; I'm glad that both your dealership and Ashley are taking great care of you. If you have any additional concerns or questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me. I'm happy to do what I can to help. :)

Crystal

#16 ·
New engine is good for you, pretty pricey for them!

I'm betting it took a while to go through all the channels at the dealership to decide on/get approval for the proper fix. Then they had to order the engine, wait to find out when they were likely to receive it, etc.. And I'm SURE no-one wanted to make the dreaded call to the customer B4 they had all the answers lined up. Then it got put aside (I can call him tomorrow) so you got hold of them first.

Of course it took some time to do the tear-down and check out all the damages before they could even start that decision process. Who knows, they may have even been looking for a similar car to offer you as a replacement & determining if they could get away cheaper that way.

NOW we know which end was leaking (grin). We can also guess the "simple seal replacement" job went to a mechanic who wasn't fully versed in the engine. Other designs/different engines he could get away with 'cheating the Flat Rate" by just popping the pulley - hook out the old seal - tap in a new one - and reassemble WITHOUT the labor of pulling the cam cover & setting the timing. BAD mistake there....

ALSO good for you, it didn't end up "off" just a little & not running perfect, it ended up off a LOT and "grenaded" the engine so you're getting the new one.

Cheers!

#17 ·
Sailor -

You make some great points - and that amount of 'leg' work to research all options takes time.
However, I do understand we are all human and mistakes happen. I just wish the dealership would have been a bit more upfront about the issue. But, no sense in dwelling on what should have been! Because in retrospect - I have a new engine! [headbang] And that is hard to b!tch about!!

#18 ·
Yah, that IS "hard to bitch about", and I hear ya on the "upfront" as well.

(In a perfect world...)

Wasn't trying to defend the Dealership (since I wouldn't know them). I was remembering some time I spent on the desk at a Cycle shop, and how I wanted to have the solution at hand for even a MINOR "oops" B4 calling the customer.

It was a LOT easier to say "by the way, we had to replace this for you 'cause it got scratched by accident" or "someone bumped your bike, we've got a replacement part on the way to take care of it for you" than to call with a "we had a problem doing the repair, it'll be a bit longer 'cause we're figuring out how to fix it right for you". (Grin)

At least you've got a decent loaner while you're waiting.

Cheers!

#19 ·
At least you've got a decent loaner while you're waiting.

Cheers!
Yes, that is true - and a slight problem; as I have come to REALLY like the Fusion...I am afraid, possibly more than my Focus. Although it could be that I have spent more time and put more miles on it than my own car. (750 miles on my own car vs. the 1300+ miles I've put on the Fusion). The odd thing is, I don't even like automatics, even less with a 4cyl engine - but this Fusion is damn fast & fun. I could only imagine it would be even better in a stick shift version.

#20 ·
New One? Those REALLY look good...

At least you're not in the same boat as another member who recently had a Cadillac CTS as a loaner...

Though that was too much of a step up to even consider, (grin) so it was probably easier for him to turn it in!

#21 ·
Not the new 2013. It's a 2012 SE with about 14k on it. Still a damn nice car.

Believe me, if I felt I could afford a new turbo/stick Fusion, I would have one already. The new design is beautiful! I actually think I would take a turbo Fusion over a Focus ST.

#24 ·
Service Manager called, my car is ready!! [thankyou] I think he is looking forward to it being out of his shop:

He said "Your black beauty is complete, took it for a 20 mile ride, everything is great; except it's been a black cloud hanging over the dealership..lol. It was detailed and I will have it full of gas when you arrive."

At least he is trying to keep his sense of humor!

I will post a follow up after asking some needed questions and I pick it up.

#25 ·
Picked up my car, all is well - it's tight! [driving]

I received paperwork, documentation of new engine VIN, etc. The new warranty is for 3 years unlimited mileage; nice! I was told there is no break-in period for the new engine. I was literally told "drive it like you stole it" by the service manager..lol!

Kudos to my dealership for being stand up people who admitted to a mistake and made the effort to fix it. Props to Columbus Ford!

#26 ·
Luck to you on that........................I fix all my own stuff nowadays, I won't let them touch it. Most do not have that option and I certainly can see trying to find a dealership that can do something right, a dying breed.................

#27 ·
UGH!! ..and back to the dealership it goes.. [mad]

Went to run errands after work, Battery light keeps going on/off, and it will not idle down the rpms with the clutch pedal pushed in until I am at a complete stop - which explains the lousy mpg, as it's always revving!

I am starting to believe this car is cursed!

#28 ·
Started the car to take to dealership yesterday...sound like running/sloshing water in dash. WTF!?

Dropped it off, talked to one of the 'managers', told him I did not want the car back...ever. He said he would talk to dealership owner and get back to me.

I'm SO done with this PITA! [rant]

#29 ·
Today's Update:

Dealership (service): "Your car is ready!"

Me: "Umm, did you not talk to ANYONE that I had conversations with on Saturday? I do NOT want this car any longer. It is a lemon!"

Dealership: "I don't know anything about that, you need to speak with sales department. You don't have to drive back out here, we can bring the car to you. The problem is that we did not get the alternator plug in all the way - we 'think' that is why it is revving high on RPM's. The water noise is because there is air in the heater core."

Me: "That is not the point, this car is nothing but non-stop issues, I do NOT want it. Besides I don't want you guessing what is causing it to rev and not idle down or why the air was not run out of the heater core - this along with not plugging in the alternator are all OBVIOUS issues that should have been taken care of by your dealership BEFORE I picked it up from having a new engine installed. I am NOT coming to get it, you can keep it."

Dealership: "I guess we'll have the sales department call you..."

I spoke with the weekend Service manager, my sales person AND the sales manager on Saturday. They all knew I was upset and no longer want the car - where is the internal communication?!?

My patience has worn thin...really really thin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.