1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  FocusedSlayer 
#1 ·
things i have done to car:

*reman head/1 piston and rod/all new gaskets/head bolts 2,000 miles since
*egr valve and tube
*plugs wires/coil pack
*timing belt and tensionor
*pcv valve

i travel one way to work about 40 miles...on a day its 85 out at about 30 miles car sputters to the point you have to pull over..if you restart car it will go a few more miles before you have to pull over again...i had the same problem with the other head also so when i put on reman head i checked all hose's which appeared to be good! car runs good in the winter...just when it gets warm out i cant figure this out doesnt make no dam since...iam tried of putting money in this dam car i should have just did engine swap instead of reman head any ideas?

#4 · (Edited)
Any steam/water or dark smoke coming out of the exhaust? More than normal anyway, it's quite common for motors to make a little water from the humidity in the air. Are you slowly losing coolant or oil?

The heat could be causing the head gasket to leak if it wasn't sealed properly... My only other guess would be the plugs, fuel pump or filter and the distributer... but you already replaced those...

#8 ·
under insulation? did check coil connection appears to be good...its weird when it sputtters to the point it shuts off or if i shut it off and restart it i can step on the gas fairly hard and car will take out with no problems for a few miles and do it again...it almost like whatever it is gets reset or something i think maybe fuel pump?

#11 ·
Your symptoms are close to what I just had with my 94 F 150 , I drive around 30 mins to work and after the engine would get warmed up it would sputter and sometimes stop. Then I could start it up and go for about another 10 to 15 mins and it would stop again. Took it to the dealer and they assured me it was a sensor bad so I pretty much replaced all sensors that are on the motor . Cleared up a few days then started back again and come to find out it was my MAP sensor that was bad .
I know its not a maf sensor but does pretty much the same thing , so it maybe that your Maf is dying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.