Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (
-   General Technical Chat (
-   -   Window question. (

Plymchris 02-19-2013 03:50 AM

Window question.
Hi there, I have a MKII estate. The rubber seal at the bottom of the electric window (both passenger and driver) has a built up quite a garden of moss, even though I have done a fairly good job of cleaning this all up I have a problem in the fact that when the windows wind down the seal does not wipe the water off the windows so not only does it mean that I cannot clear them easily when the are wet but I am also worried that this means water will be able ot easily run down inside the door.

Any suggestions? Also wat is the technical name for this component should I have to replace it? Whenever I search for window seals I get the ones that run around the edge but not the bit at the bottom.

Many thanks for any help.

whynotthinkwhynot 02-19-2013 05:54 AM

Window weatherstrip? They might call that part something different on that side of the pond- it happens like that. Are you sure you're not searching for Door weatherstrip instead of window? The window should only be the window channel and weatherstrip. The channel is the hard felt part that the window fits into, and the weatherstrip is the rubber wiper at the bottom of the window. The door weatherstrip is the foam rubber between the door and the body that is supposed to keep the air out.

Plymchris 02-19-2013 07:15 AM

I guess it would be the weatherstrip, the bit that scrapes the water etc off the window glass when you wind it down. This bit of rubber and felt doesn't contact the window glass at all anymore.

jdetzel 02-19-2013 11:04 AM

It is usually called a belt moulding or belt weatherstrip.

amc49 02-19-2013 10:04 PM

You need to have the understanding that there is NO WEATHERSTRIP ON THE PLANET that guarantees water not getting in door at all. The technology does not exist. ALL car doors have small drain holes on bottom of door to drain water that gets inside, in short they are designed to take on some amount of water getting inside. . The weatherstrip simply stops a LOT of the water from getting inside but not ALL, and no auto dealer on the planet will tell you the door is totally watertight at the bottom of window because it's NOT.

One incident of running window down in very icy conditions will cut the strip edge up enough that it will not wipe all water off, the ice frays the edge.

elsolo 02-20-2013 12:14 AM

Like he said:

Doors need to drain, it's how they are all designed.
That's why they have all drain holes, and a water shield behind the door panel.

You might want new window "fuzzies" but it won't stop water ingress to the interior of the door.

Plymchris 02-20-2013 05:40 AM

Ok I get that the doors will need to drain, i was just mostly worried about large amounts pouring down there and also the fact that the windows don't get wiped off so the seal/fuzzie etc is not actually contacting the window it seems.

I believe I have found the correct part thanks to the search suggestions here, however it seems to be quite an involved job replacing them, anyone here done it and know of a quick way, I'd rather not remove the whole of the door panel just for a weather strip.

elsolo 02-20-2013 11:00 AM

Door panels are easy, watch a youtube video if you want to see what you are taking apart. Few screws and a couple clips. 5-10 minutes for a first timer to remove it.

Plymchris 02-20-2013 11:28 AM

Well that's re-assuring. Might have a go once the weather warms/dries up a bit.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.