Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Overheating Issue

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Rotation 
#1 ·
Hey guys recently I was cruising down the freeway at approx 70mph and out of nowhere my car just bogs down and slowly starts to die out so I pull over at a public parking lot to check out what happened I pop the hood and it smelt like fish, and look like some coolant splattered on the right side of the engine and on the battery. Both the Check Engine light and another Yellow/Orange light with an exclamation point came up and the coolant in the reservoir was empty... Does anybody know what this could have been, or how it happened? Thanks.

#8 ·
Thanks man will do, do you think by chance it might be the water pump?

If you don't have coolant, it won't hurt to use water for now but drain when your done.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I'll try that.

Tip, check your oil.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I've just recently gotten an oil change so I think it's ohkay but I'll check anyways.

The PCM will have initiated "Fail safe cooling mode" upon detecting the engine overheating because of coolant loss. Engine power was limited because cylinders are used alternatively so as to act as an "air pump" of sorts. Full details in your owner's manual.

Check the plastic tube that crosses over the top of the radiator as well as whynot's suggestion of squeezing the hoses. The plastic tube sometimes cracks or the plug at one end comes out.
Thanks man I'll take a look at it tomorrow in the morning when the suns out.

#5 ·
If you don't have coolant, it won't hurt to use water for now but drain when your done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Both the Check Engine light and another Yellow/Orange light with an exclamation point came up and the coolant in the reservoir was empty... Does anybody know what this could have been, or how it happened? Thanks.
The PCM will have initiated "Fail safe cooling mode" upon detecting the engine overheating because of coolant loss. Engine power was limited because cylinders are used alternatively so as to act as an "air pump" of sorts. Full details in your owner's manual.

Check the plastic tube that crosses over the top of the radiator as well as whynot's suggestion of squeezing the hoses. The plastic tube sometimes cracks or the plug at one end comes out.

#11 ·
Add water and run the car. Leave the hood open. Park on clean pavement. After running for a bit. You'll find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.